I Dred... therefore, I am!

S

Shataan

Hyas all. nOOb here. I decided to get a start on my Dreads. Looked at quite a few threads on how to do it, and what to use. Decided to try that backing rod. So far I could only find it in 1" Grey color. But will keep looking for Black. I am sure I will find some. Grey is ok for experiementing. Pretty cost effective stuff.

10 feet cost 5 bucks here. Not bad. I 1st cut 2 feet of material. Then I took it to the table mounted belt sander and shaped to from about midway to the end for the taper.

Then it was off to the stove. Tricky? Yes. I basicly picked a good height and used a slow turning/rolling technique. This way it stays uniform heatwise to the Dread surface. I can see that it would be VERY easy to wreck a Dread.

Moving right along. How to color the Grey and make it Black? I have a fantastic airbrush artist buddy for reference. Him and another at the shop today suggested SEM. SEM is used for coloring/painting soft surfaces like dashboards etc. It apparently is forgiving enough and does not crack when used on pliable surfaces. So I picked up SEM Landau Black. After it dries I will give it a test and see how true this is. And as well see how well it can be used on a soft foam Dread. Will it adhere? And stay adhered to the foam? altho if I can find the Black stuff, this won`t be an ussue.

Anywho, here is a pic of it right after I sprayed it. All critiques welcome.

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs66&d=060...age002.jpg

I am going to make my rings out of Tagua nut, and carve them. When I get 3 done for this Dread, I will post to see what you think. Thx again.

T

The Mortal Immortal

Keep it up nice taper.

Just when you think you have it all!!!!
profile2.jpg

S

Shataan

Thx. Much appreciated. The SEM IS indeed flexible btw. And does not crack or anything. It is like the foam came in a black color. If anyone here knows what length I should make the Dreads, please fill me in. I am gonna make em 24" for now.

As well, do up some rings, and post a screen of a Dread with the carved rings. Prolly cook em in oil to antique them a bit too. When my Undermask arrives, I will know then how many to make. Thx.

P

pirkleations

Nice job on the dred technique so far!!

The color and texture looks great as well!!!

DangerDavey

N

NibsFlibble

Great job on the tapering! Looks perfect!

The dred length can be as long and short as you wish. Everyone is different. Can't wait to see the rings .....

BTW, that one big coin wrapper in the background!!!

S

Shataan

Thx MrFlibble. I did a 1 1/2 inch Tagua ring just as a try out today. Tagua nut is hard to find in a perfectly round shape. I may have to do the rings in 1" or 1 1/8" legnths. But it sure did polish up nice. After I do all 3, I will post a shot.

Imagine a basic ring but in a highly polished bone lookwise, or ivory. Very cool. ;p But a tad work intensive. lol

K

kithunter

Very nice looking dred you got there. keep up the good work

AM

S

Shataan

Thx. Just got my undermask today. So my focus is going to be switching to that. Getting the inside just right, and waiting for the Bio. Should be here soon. Not to mention the 54 Dreads I gotta make, along with the 3 rings per dread. whoah The gravity of how big this kinda project really is, is starting to set in. ;p

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs67&d=06064&f=dread.jpg

new and improved.

T

TK3467

Just remember that you don't need every single dread to have rings on it. It's more so the outer layer, and then to your liking on the rest.