I Think I Have A Problem / Obsession.

Robillicus

Hunter
This is a really good topic, and one I've got some experience in.

I agree with LadyZero wholeheartedly. You should talk about your hobbies and stuff up-front. That way, there won't be so much of a shock when she see's all of your goodies. Pun intended. HAH.

Now, I usually wait until the third or fourth time we hangout or go on a "date," before we take it back to my place. By that time they have a full understanding of who I am, and what I'm about. I am an eccentric illustrator nerd, who collects figures and movie props from the Predator films. Like it's been said above, some chicks dig it, and some run far and fast. I don't take it personally. I'm not about to force someone to like something if they don't want to. I mean, if they can't accept it in the "dating" phase, then she sure-as-**** won't get it if it evolves into a relationship. Or, maybe she'll see past it and like you for YOU. Who knows, it's all a gamble.

With some people you do have to be careful. I would not tell a girl on a first date that I was constructing a Predator costume. Unless, she was also into dressing up and such. For instance, I was dating this girl for a while, and on our third date we came back to my place. We'd talk about Sci-Fi and all that beforehand, so we pretty much had a good feel for each others personalities. Welp, when we got back to my place, she wanted to see my room. I keep all of my stuff confined to my room. Sculpts, helmets, kits, models, drawings, figures, etc. I warned her that when she opens the door, it'd be exactly like opening the door to a twelve year olds room. She laughed, and did it anyway. She spent about thirty minutes looking over all my stuff. Then, she turned and looked at me like a huge weight had been lifted. Turns out that she collects "Faerie Statuettes." and she was terribly self-conscious about them and me finding out. So, I turned to her, pulled her close, and said while I gazed deeply into her eyes: "QUEER!!" No, I did not say that. We had something in common, and I said that it's a very personal thing to let someone in on it. We both felt honored that we'd let each other in on our hobbies and creative passions. So, that was an instant bond.

Oh, and also... to address the addiction theme. It only becomes a problem when it starts to interfere with your relationships and bank account. Like any addiction, really. Once you start hurting people, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate some of your priorities. But, from what I can see, you don't really seem to be the "addict" you think you are. Jeebus, have you seen BRYAN'S place?

:D

MEANGENE83

Hunter
So, I turned to her, pulled her close, and said while I gazed deeply into her eyes: "QUEER!!"

RIGHT ABOUT THIS POINT I WAS ABOUT TO SLAP YOU ROB! Then you pulled yourself back from the brink! Wicked funny tho buddy!

I used to feel a slight bit of shame with this hobby, then I told myself **** it. Its what I love, take it or leave it!

REYALS

Elite Hunter
LOL... I LOVE THIS TOPIC!!!

I, for one, am in no way going to let ANYONE tell me that having a hobby (such as the one we all share here) is childish. I had a couple of guys start giving me shite about collecting on good ol' face book one night. I put them right in their place with the just a few words... I told them... "I probably have more invested into my collection than you both have in the bank". That shut their faces right the Hades up.

I have to agree with everyone who is giving the mindful advise here, Bill. It's not what you have on the outside... but what you have on the inside brother.

My wife may not understand my OCCD (obsessive collectors compulsive disorder) but she see's how much it means to me and how much joy it brings me when I acquire the things I grew up on. I always tell people... "we lose so much of what we had as children when we grow up... why not hold on to the one thing that always made you feel happy, glad, ecstatic, or over joyed"... and for me that was the PREDATOR (and action figures/toys).

So yes Bill... if someone isn't accepting of you simply because you have kick ass PREDATOR's and related items lurking amid your Lair... then they are obviously not deserving of you. I could go on all night with this, but I will spare all my 2cents and leave with this...

"...yeah...I got nothing"

It'll all be okay Bill. Just know that the lot of us here KNOW you R-O-C-K!!! :cool: (y) ;)

JehdinThwei

Hunter
Thanks for all of the replies, Lair mates. Just awesome feedback!!!

Well I did not end up taking my date back to my place, but the reason was.....

SHE WASN'T WORTHY!!!!
LOL
Just kidding. Nice lady, but she was sloppy drunk. No need to risk her knocking over Snake in her staggering gait, or abusing Falconer in ways hither to unknown in this society. o_O

LadyZero

Blooded
Nice lady, but she was sloppy drunk. No need to risk her knocking over Snake in her staggering gait, or abusing Falconer in ways hither to unknown in this society. o_O
That, dear boy, is my job and mine alone!

Shame it didn't work out though, but if she'd broken anything I bet there would have been hell to pay :cool:

JehdinThwei

Hunter
That, dear boy, is my job and mine alone!

Shame it didn't work out though, but if she'd broken anything I bet there would have been hell to pay :cool:

Yeah, I almost wrote Tracker then edited it for your sake :p
No, I would have been gracious and forgiving. ....probably just drag her around by her hair for a while o_O

keeleon

Blooded
I used to be self conscious about all of my nerdliness, and I tried to play the part of the kind of guy I thought the girls I liked would want. It never really worked out (mostly cause I'm too nice for my own good >.

Robillicus

Hunter
Oh wow, dude... so she got sloppy drunk? Classy... and somewhat gross in all honesty. I had something similar to that happen while on a date. She kept ordering Jager Bombs throughout the night. Eventually, it ended with her throwing-up several times. I tried to do the gentlemanly thing and hold her hair back, but she ended up just making fun of me for doing so- even the next day when she'd sobered up.

in my book, sloppy drunk = fun night of experimentation. :)
...I think that kind of 'experimentation' comes with a jail sentence attached to it. :D

nightshadow

Blooded
i like this thread ^^ hehe

you should only hide your collection, if you're are afraid of someone beheading your predator statue! in rage or by accident ^^

JehdinThwei

Hunter
Ok, so the little guys have been relegated to the bedroom. By the time anyone gets that far, they will be well aware of my fascination with Preds. Meanwhile, Shadow and I are having a Goose Island Mild Winter brew in the 40 degree Chicago January.

2012-01-07 16.04.12.jpg

2012-01-07 16.12.57-1.jpg

67Jake

Blooded
No need to risk her knocking over Snake in her staggering gait, or abusing Falconer in ways hither to unknown in this society. o_O
One of my favourite threads!!! Anyway (beside collecting Preds I do collect model railway as well) and I've learned that way too many people find hard to comprehend your passion for something! Collecting or modeling is way to often misinterpreted as something you should grow over. This clearly exposes how broad people's horizons really are!

P.S. Your room with Preds is amazing!!! Just keep'em coming! And next time someone has to say something about what you do, just give them that Arnie look! ;)

MalikoRahl

Unblooded
I've turned an entire bedroom of my house into a "man cave" with 2 walls having floor-to-ceiling shelves with figures from Predator to Halo to Final Fantasy. Sadly, I've run out of room and can't properly display all the Sideshow bios I've gotten. My wife tolerates it rather well. It's already been said that hiding who you are won't help anyone. Your hobby will be discovered soon enough. Might as well get it out up front and save yourself the time and potential heartache that would come if she can't handle it.

oxtheii

Blooded
If your friends or girlfriends don't respect you for who you are then screw em.

Now if I were to walk into a house like that I'd probably get really giddy and act like a little girl in a candy store...or toy store haha

SizzyBubbles

Young Blood
pfffft- don't even! If i walking into a house decorated as such i would never leave! You know how to decorate.

CLEARLY you have not seen my room. It looks like a man-cave! Also... lots of skulls...