In need of mask help!!!

Okay, here is the deal. I ordereda bottle of Permawet to complete my mask and bodysuit for my new Predator project (see "First predator Progress"). The order apparently didn't go through and I have an event THIS WEEKEND! They said it MAY get here by Friday, but that is the start of my event. I will not actually put it on until Saturday afternoon, but that issue then becomes the drying process.

What should I do? :)

He is researching possible solutions until it actually comes, or if it doesn't come. Are there any substitutes for permawet? I have some clear lacquer I could start using to create some layers of gloss, but is that okay?

Desperate!!! I want to get this done for our huge Sci-Fi convention and I won't wear until it's finished....

DangerDavey

Hunter
I've heard a rumor that Pro Adhesive and Minwax Water-based Polycrylic mixed together make a very similar and durable coating to Permawet.

~DD

ta2pro

Hunter
nope to all suggestions.simply go to any craft store and buy whatever level of gloss u need-BUT....make sure it says "flexible".there is gloss for photo touchups.think about it,would u put a non flexing fixative on a valuable photo that might flex?i use it on all my latex stuff now.but do it in short spurts.the layers take time to dry.

DangerDavey

Hunter
Yaaay!!

Somehow, I have a feeling Joe's advice is pretty solid. Forget the home-mixed version and go with what ta2pro said.

The experience he has gained over the years shows in every mask he paints.

Thanks Joe!

~DD

Thanks, guys! I wil try it. I also am experimenting with Tire Wet, a spray car dealers use to make tires really shiny and glossy. Flexible? yes, since it was made for rubber. Shiny? Yes. Wet? Yes. However, it doesn't dry that quickly (3 mins.) and can drip if not careful. This effect is really cool with the Alien head (I am having impaled on a spear) and adds a "sweaty" look to the Predator (like P1) because it is pourous. I will keep layering it on and then the Permawet if I get it in time.

Amazing what you can discover in a tough spot. Thanks for the help!

ta2pro

Hunter
survey says-BZZZZZZ!!thats a big no to the "tire" junk.what makes it shiny?-silicone.silicone exposed to natural elements(air)over time absors into its substance material(ie:rubber,latex,silicone).it will eventually absorb,soften and eventually deterorate the material.youre going for a protectant,not a destroyer.ever see a tire stay shiny forever-nope.because it absorbs-not rubs off.although that b cool,and save detailing moohla,for tires on my viper at $500 a piece.

For a quick fix on a wet look try Berol's Marvin medium you should be able to get ti from any arts and craft store. I've used it a number of times on some quick latex slip masks that needed painting to look wet, and I used it on my original Pred elder sculpt mask too. It works fine, though it will mist a little if you get it wet, but will dry back to transparent....It's a quick fix though not as good as perma wet but good enough for what you need right now. The prosaide and minwax work also, but I've know it to lift from the surface after some time or after a lot of movement. Hope this helps mate

ta2pro

Hunter
like i said....not to rain on anyones parade.but so far,the results are lacking.use a gloss spray-IT...STAYS...GLOSSY.end of story.BUT...use only in short bursts/mists or it looks like a clearcoat on a new car.there's nothing,and i mean nothing,that will beat this.too much permawet(yes)will haze,if inbetween coats dont dry timely.even thinned down?-even longer to dry.if u gotta mix it,generally unless youre a chemist or play w/the materials dily,its a hit miss.and it sounds like u dont have time to b playing around w-"the right formula".clear coat thick finish.will not mar,yellow,crack,peel.extremely flexible.i took a head i am painting now,and after i was done clearing it i threw in in a corner from a few ft away and not one scratch.durable,cheap and all in one shot.

Robillicus

Hunter
What about clear "Plasti-Dip?" I've heard a lot about this stuff over the years, and have yet to try it myself. I was originally told that it's used to protect tools.

roundhammer

Hunter
What about acrylic spray sealers? I've seen them in matte, satin and gloss. If it's acrylic based, that should mean it's flexiable...right?

ta2pro

Hunter
What about acrylic spray sealers? I've seen them in matte, satin and gloss. If it's acrylic based, that should mean it's flexiable...right?
now u people r on the right track!this is what ive been advising 2 use.that way,u get the desired gloss level u desire.