Invisibility Cloak Tutorial (LOTS OF PICS)

M

MoviesColin

PREDATOR’S CLOAK

Sizing And Blue-screening

Open both frames and paste your predator on. Move him to where you want and cut out everything else with the Magic Wand tool.
paste.jpg

greenscreen.jpg

Duplicate your predator layer and fill the duplicate in white.

If you’re a die-hard fan, you know his weapons don’t cloak with him, but I didn't quite feel like keeping the spear seperate.

white.jpg

Creating the outlines
Now, duplicate your white layer and select his outline. Contract (Select/Modify/Contract) by 10-20 pixels (depending on the size of your picture.). Delete the selection. Now, expand (Select/Modify/Expand) by 7-14 pixels and use the filter called “Fragment”. (Filter/Pixelate/Fragment). Repeat the Fragment 7 more times. Set the layer to “Overlay”.
pixelate.jpg

overlay.jpg

Creating the “Gel” effect
Duplicate your background (jungle) layer. Select your predator (by clicking on the white predator with the magic wand) and click on the Background duplicate. Use the “Offset” filter (Filters/Other/Offset) and offset it by 10 pixels horizontally and 10 pixels vertically. Contract your selection by 10-20 pixels and repeat the Offset filter. Repeat this until there are no more pixels to offset.
offset.jpg

I also re-selected the predator outline and spherized it (Filters/Distort/Spherize) by about 15-75%, depending on how clear you want to see him.
spherize.jpg

Now, select your whole predator again and go to Hue and make it turn a little greenish-blueish.
hue.jpg

I set the layer mode to screen at about 10% opacity.
finished.jpg

Do some final touch-ups and you’re done!

Now, for the actual cloaking process. I studied frame-by-frame, and came to the conclusion (big words here) that the shadows appear first, then midtones and highlights. With Photoshop 7 or higher, and you seperate those three elements.
shadows.jpg

midtones.jpg

fullcopy.jpg

For video, each picture is 30th of a second... so 30 pictures equals 1 second, 60 equals 2, 90 equals 3, and so on. Takes a LOT of time, but looks fabulous.

I also ended up with 9 different layers, if you try this, I'd be curious to see your results.

H

Halo Predator

That's a neat trick. Thanks Colin. I'm old school...pencil, eraser and color pencils. LOL!

Nice tutorial.

Tim.

M

MoviesColin

Thanks Tim. OH! I forgot!!! You need a version of Adobe Photoshop for this. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements.

R

RaptorArts

thanks for the tutorial! I just bought the full version of Adobe PHotoshop 7 for $50. so now I can get rid of my old ver. 5.5 disk which got scratched beyond repair.

Y

yautja clone

Great work Colin. Same here Tim, only I used to eat paste in grade school...

Yautja Clone : .

P

PredatoRob

Man Colin, you've been a busy little monkey!! My roommate has Photoshop down at school, and neither one of us can figure it out. Im gonna give that tutorial of yours a try.

Sweet work my friend!

C

carlart

Not too shabby. A couple of things I would add is that isolating the pred with the magic wand tool only works well when you have a background of uniform color. It may be necessary to use combinations of the lasso and eraser tools with other backgrounds. The magic wand sometimes grabs too much, such as the lower right part of the leg as seen above.
Once that is done, an additional step of going to the pull down menu, using Layer> Matting> Defringe by 1 or 2 pixels, will take away the tell-tale white outline around the predator. Using "remove white matte" might also work just as well.

Good stuff
carlart

D

Dragonskinstudio

colin!!!!!!! what can i say ..exelent work man!!!!!