ive never worked with resin before need help

R

reaperoperative117

is there a type of special release agent from the mold, how do i go about making armor pieces out of resin, where do i even get the stuff??

carlart

Hunter
Assuming you've sculpted a prototype out of sulphur free clay, and have created a silicone mold for it, this isn't terribly too hard to do.
I use SynAir products (there are many others as well) which include their liquid resin known as Por a Kast and their mold release ---SynLube 531.
You really don't need mold release for silicone molds, since nothing but silicone will stick to silicone, but you can spray a thin coat of the SynLube every so often into your mold. As for the resin, the Por a Kast commonly used is the Mark 1 or Mark II variants. I prefer Mark 1 because it cures faster (about 2 min.) and machines better. The Mark II cures to a bright white color, and is lighter in weight. For an excellent how-to on the molding/casting process go here: www.danperezstudios.com/workshop.htm

There's a ton of places to get resin and release.
www.alumilite.com, smoothon.com, etc. For SynAir products I use this guy Jim:
www.sunbeltmaterials.com/synair_product_lines.htm

Good luck,
carlart
Cannon-Title.jpg

S

Seanf1979

Wow nice websites, had just the information I was looking for. Now I can build my tools and figure out how to make my own designs.