Jailer playing with clay

J

JAILER1955

Jailer playing with clay.

Playing is right. I've watched and learned from you guys and guess what? I can't sculpt worth poop. I'm not educated in the artform and so I'm making ashtrays. But I gotta start somewhere. The whole head is not done because I don't have the clay right now. Yhis is one evening. Nowhere as good as you guys. All the drawings and I end up slapping clay on and thinking, "what does remind me of?"

Here it goes before I chicken out.

Jailer playing with clay

SCULPT-1.jpg

SCULPT-1A.jpg

SCULPT-2.jpg

SCULPT-2A.jpg

SCULPT-2B.jpg

SCULPT-3.jpg

SCULPT-4.jpg

SCULPT-4A.jpg

M

Master Yoda 54

looks like you got a decent start going George. Keep plugin away and you'll get there. Keep it rollin.

KEITH

T

The Mortal Immortal

Looks like your off to a great start with the new pictures posted.

J

JAILER1955

I'm trying. I just don't know what tools to use for what, not to mention every other question a wanna-be doesn't know.

Thanks

B

blk n blu dream

Love the detail, I can't wait to see this finished.

P

pirkleations

Jailer,

You know you can ask us all anything if you get stuck.

Go to your local craft store and pick up a couple of different sets of clay sculpting tools. A larger set for basic shaping and a smaller set for detail work. They'll all run you about $10 total. Somewhere here on the board are pictures of some of the tools needed for sculpting clay. If not, we'll post some!!

When you get to the point where you are ready to do wrinkles and detailing, just give us all a shout and we'll toss methods at you left and right!!!

One thing I'd like to suggest is to bring the lower mandibles in just about an inch. It's not an absolute, though. He's your baby. You have the control.

B

blk n blu dream

When you get to the point where you are ready to do wrinkles and detailing, just give us all a shout and we'll toss methods at you left and right!!!
You should post it anyways! LOL The only method I know of is using syran wrap on the clay and using the tools on that.

S

Savage Yautja

What are you sculpting the head on for an armature? Personally I'd hold off on the mandibles for now and get the general head shape and size completed since you still have the mouthh,teeth and throat areas to work on. Rough in the sculpt and detailing it more once you get the basic design chosen. Once you have the basic shape done get the features and mouth roughed in and then smoothed. Work out from the center of the sculpt and it will be easier to check for symetry as you progress and then add the outer mandibles. This way you can avoid bumping into areas you've finished smoothing already. Saves a lot of frustration.

T

The Big Gunns

George.. it looks good so far. Slow down on the detailing...
get all the clay on the base, then like Mark said block in the basic shape.
Pay attention to your sculpt from all angles to make sure he is symmetrical..
otherwise you will have problems later.

I think its great that you are attempting this.
With your drawing skills Im sure you will create something great.
But I cannot stress enough to slow down and
take your time. I have seen so many people rushing
to get a sculpt done. There are alot of sculptors
on this board who have been doing this long time,
and can whip out a finished product in no time.
But you should never compare yourself time wise
to other people. Work at your own pace
and make it as close to perfect as you can.

Good luck with the sculpt.. Im looking forward to more pics.
BTW George.. for some reason I am always hungry for macaroni and cheese
everytime you update this thread with pics

~Mel

M

MoviesColin

Looks sweet. I attempted a predator once, it was quite sad. I only had enough clay for the back of the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JAILER1955

Everyone has great suggestions. Seriously!

I had never heard about surran wrap being used. I'll give it a try.

The mandibles, yeah I tore them off, like you said, they're in the way. They also need to be slimmed up quite a bit. Do people possible incert a wire for support of the mandibles?

working from the inside out. I need to keep that in mind, for sure. When I draw, my pencil is jumping all over the place, I guess I'm doing the same thing here and it does not work.

I was reading the lair posts and found out about using a hair dryer to soften the clay. I was working with hard clay and soft fingers. I bought a small set of sculpting tools and now I am figuring out what to use from what.

I'm not sure, but I may start all over again instead of trying to repair my lack of style. I have learned a few things so far, like that fact that the clay is too front heavy for the head base that I am using. I need to either add weight or get a better base. Also, I need to build out the whole head before goinging into finer detailing. I learned that here, but did not do it.

I went to books a million, the craft store and a few other places and no one, I repeat, NO ONE, had a book on clay sculpting. I'll be going to the library asap.

suggestions, ideas, even down-right laughter is welcome.

B

blk n blu dream

I have learned a few things so far, like that fact that the clay is too front heavy for the head base that I am using.
My husband put a pvc pipe through the neck of my duct-tape head and attached it to a melamite (sp?) board by sliding over a smaller diameter steel pipe that is attached to the board somehow. Yeah, not too much help here... sorry! I'm new to this too. :p I'm sure once your drawings transfer to your sculpting, you will be one of the greats!

J

JAILER1955

What is no good is not listening to suggestions. Your suggestion was so simple that it is a great idea. Instead of over-complicating the situation, go the other way. Thank you,