Japan

lflank

Hunter
All they need now is a prehistoric monster to come out of the sea and crunch Tokyo underfoot.

Geez.

Blade3327

Blooded
Best wishes and hopes to those taken by the eathquake/tsunami and to those rushing to rescue, repair, and find cooling for those pesky reactors.

newpred

Blooded
the poblem with the reactors is they are still using them... Im sure people can deal with no power so half the planet dont get radiated. Prayers to those lost and those alive to be found.

CyberPaddy66

Unblooded
the poblem with the reactors is they are still using them... Im sure people can deal with no power so half the planet dont get radiated. Prayers to those lost and those alive to be found.
I read an article by a MIT professor (posted by a chap who lives in Tokyo) explaining how the reactors work and all the redundancy procedures that are in place to make them safe, aparently the Japanese reactors are designed so that what happened in Chernoby can't ever happen to them. The explosion we all saw on the news was the steam they released into the building superheating the air and blowing the building roof out but the reactors 3 main safety features all held up and they just need to treat (should be harmless in about 10 years) some of the seawater they pumped in to cool the system down after the Tsunami broke all their generators at once. The reacors had already been shut down before the water hit and it just takes about 3 days to fully cool off and that's when the wave did the damage, not nice seeing all the footage but I feel a lot happier knowing the reactors can't go critical now and the worst that can happen is they will need to dissasemble the reactors and work on the radioactive bits for about 3 years until they can be used again.

Luckily Japan is only using the reactors to provide about 30% of the countries power needs and their backup plans (gas powered turbines) will be able to cope as long as there are no more Tsunami's or Earthquakes!

It does seem a bit like adding insult to injury... you see a country devastated by a tsunami, a giant flood... and in the midst of all that floating shit is a pile of burning stuff.... floating on the fucking water...
I had to think of Australia, when the one side of the country had bushfires the size of a state, and the other coast was drowning.

Heavyset Woman: It was tragic. We lost everything in the fire.
Burnt Man: Everything except old Snowball here.
Tall Thebian: Now were the fires before or after the earthquake?
Earthquake Lady: They were after the earthquake. I remember.
Heavyset Woman: But before the flood.
Elderly Thebian: Don't even get me started on the crime rate.
Heavyset Woman: Thebes has certainly gone downhill in a hurry.
Elderly Thebian: Tell me about it. It seems like every time I turn around, there's some new monster wreakin' havoc and I...
Burnt Man: All we need now is a plague of locusts.
[a locust jumps on and chirps, everyone screams]
Elderly Thebian: That's it. I'm movin' to Sparta.

they will need to dissasemble the reactors and work on the radioactive bits for about 3 years until they can be used again.
I don't think you'll be able to use them ever again after what happened.

TehEl1te

Blooded
I have been following Japan like a hound since this happened. I was going to post it on the lair but figured ti was news everyone was following...

I feel so bad for them :)

This may be radical... but is there anything I can do more than a donation?

Tsurabisu

Blooded
I have been following Japan like a hound since this happened. I was going to post it on the lair but figured ti was news everyone was following...

I feel so bad for them :)

This may be radical... but is there anything I can do more than a donation?
I feel the same way. I've already donated, but it's not enough. Heck, if I had my passport, I woulda volunteered with the red cross relief efforts.

lflank

Hunter
I feel a lot happier knowing the reactors can't go critical now and the worst that can happen is they will need to dissasemble the reactors and work on the radioactive bits for about 3 years until they can be used again.

The worst that can happen, can still happen----the reactors lose all coolant and the core melts entirely, penetrating the containment shell and spewing radioisotopes everywhere the wind can carry them.

That will leave a large swath of Japan uninhabitable for decades.

lflank

Hunter
I don't think you'll be able to use them ever again after what happened.

Nope. Apparently all three reactor cores have already at least partially melted. The reactors are destroyed.

The struggle now is to prevent them from melting completely through the containment building and releasing radioactivity into the atmosphere.

They are nowhere near out of the woods yet. It isn't Chernobyl-level yet, but it is already worse than Three Mile Island.

(I at least hope that somebody somewhere is thinking right now "Ya know, maybe building an entire nuclear complex in an earthquake-prone area wasn't such a bright idea after all . . . .")

swift kinfe

Blooded
At school today we watch cnn student news.We found todays episode was for Japan and its terrible what happend.Realy whats next a legit giant lizard?!We spent a good 75% of our class disscusing it sad news indeed.We also found a website that shows before and after the hit.Goddamn it seems things got flatend.One of the pics of the damage at first we thought were legos untill we noticed they were shipping containers.

What is worse? Godzilla (what don't is real! ) or a Nuclair plant what will go BOOOOOOM.

There are no words at the moment what can take the pain away of the japanese who lost their houses and family.

How would you feel when everything is gone?
I can't image that

I think we have a Lair member there! I think he had a Wolf suit. I saw a video of him on Youtube. Lets wish him the best guys and gals. And I also hope that my family over there is okay.

gam3rgod

Blooded
I couldn't help but think of Gojira (Godzilla) when i heard about the nuclear reactors. But on a more serious side i feel sorry for them and donated to help save lives. My prayers are and have been with the Japanese peoples this week.

(I at least hope that somebody somewhere is thinking right now "Ya know, maybe building an entire nuclear complex in an earthquake-prone area wasn't such a bright idea after all . . . .")
Honestly, though, and as bad as it already is for that poor nation, it could have been A LOT worse. There are 55 reactors in Japan and correct me if I'm wrong, their are only issues (Granted, HUGE issues) with three of them...Thoughts to all of Japan...

lflank

Hunter
Honestly, though, and as bad as it already is for that poor nation, it could have been A LOT worse. There are 55 reactors in Japan and correct me if I'm wrong, their are only issues (Granted, HUGE issues) with three of them...Thoughts to all of Japan...

There are actually six reactors at the Fukushima site, but three of them were down for maintenance.

The latest reports now are that there has been a hydrogen explosion at the third plant, and that there has been a radiation release, and they have evacuated the area except for a handful of (very heroic) staff to keep the coolant flowing in the plants. That may indicate some level of containment breach.

That would be bad. Very bad.

This situation is not getting better.

lflank

Hunter
I think we have a Lair member there! I think he had a Wolf suit. I saw a video of him on Youtube. Lets wish him the best guys and gals. And I also hope that my family over there is okay.

I (and no doubt all of us here) do of course wish you the best possible outcome in all this.

Yeah, I just saw the report about the latest explosion. I'll admit, I'm now rather confused. Is it three reactors that are involved or are their several plants (Each consisting of several reactors) involved?

EDIT: Just got worse: "Two sources told NBC News' Robert Bazell that the latest blast breached the containment structure and that radiation has leaked out."

There is a total of 5 reactors in super danger. The prime minister is already in Kyoto with other high diplomats. I'm getting all this live from Japan right now.

lflank

Hunter
Yeah, I just saw the report about the latest explosion. I'll admit, I'm now rather confused. Is it three reactors that are involved or are their several plants (Each consisting of several reactors) involved?

It's one site, but there are six different reactors located at that site. Three of them were down for maintenance at the time; the remaining three were all operating and lost coolant. All three partially melted, and now all three have suffered hydrogen explosions.

EDIT: Just got worse: "Two sources told NBC News' Robert Bazell that the latest blast breached the containment structure and that radiation has leaked out."
The absolute worst-case scenario is, fortunately, pretty unlikely (though not impossible)--it would involve a total loss of coolant and a complete meltdown of all the fuel, which would then puddle at the bottom of the containment chamber as a thousand-degree melted mass, and potentially melt its way through thre floor of the containment vessel to the ground below. That used to be referred to half-jokingly as "The China Syndrome", since the mass could melt its way to China before it cooled. That would result in a large explosion and a massive radiation release.

The containment vessel is theoretically designed to withstand a total meltdown and prevent the mass from melting through, but I'd sure hate to see that theory tested in reality. And in any case any rupture in the containment walls, whether by explosion or by melting, would result in a very large radioactive cloud spouting out and going wherever the wind blows it.

This could still get much worse . . .

EDIT: And now it is worse . . . MSNBC is now reporting that one of the reactors that had been closed down for maintenance has caught fire, probably from the earlier explosion. There's probably no nuclear fuel rods in it, and in any case the fire would have one heck of a hard time getting through the containment vessel to the core, but this sure doesn't make anyone's job any easier . . . .

Damn.

TehEl1te

Blooded
Poor Japan :'( :'( :'( I wish there was more I can do than just sit here and feel sad for that beautiful nation... SEND ME NOW!

All we cam do is prey. I wish the news would be more truthfull. Ever since the earthquake hit, followed by the tsunami it has been worse. A lot more than people think.