Joseph's Predator Mini-Build (Work-In-Progress)

Killit

Unblooded
Last week I saw Hal1138's uber-impressive costume for little Kayla. Then I discovered the extremely inexpensive nature of the building materials (mostly EVA/yoga mat/craft foam and adhesive(s))...and I was instantly hooked. "I'm building one for my oldest!" He's 4. We went to Dallas Comic Con back in May. He loved it!

Sorry. Back up. "Extremely inexpensive materials"... compared to MonsterClay and casting/molding materials. Back in 2012, I got to sculpt a chestburster and bring him to life in fleshy silicon. My first ever. Very happy with the results. Anyway, I haven't revisited that medium due to the money you have to drop on various parts. Then, as I said, Hal1138 -- you didn't know you were doing this, but thank you -- educated me as to how readily available and malleable craft foam is. Heaven-ish! I'm at @ $12 in 5mm craft foam and I've got 80% of the patterns drawn on in Sharpie. I'm thinking $5 more. Max. And maybe $5 in 2mm foam for detailing. $9-12 in 5/8" backer rod. Plus paint, PlastiDip, and whatever it takes to make him a little footed hoodie pajama in the right "skin" pattern. $100, $120 maximum, methinks and mehopes.

I spent the rest of last week researching both pepakura and heating/sculpting craft foam on Youtube. Insanely cool...but...so many cuts! And glueing. Must improve on the process if possible...

So I started with my v1.0. bio-mask. Got a great Anytime-style muzzle and brow sculpt by heating the cut foam over the stovetop as needed (not too close, not too long), and pulling/pressing the foam before it cooled. Learned that gloves might be a good idea there. Protect those fingers!

But I wanted to push it to see if I could get closer to a full mask in a single piece; I don't like the idea of a helmet top that can come completely off. Enter mask 2.0. Way closer to what I was hoping for. The whole bio-mask is two pieces, one of which is the face and forehead/crown!

(I'm following what I can glean from Hal1138's thread, so there's a 3-piece cranium on the back for the as yet un-formed dreadlocks. Why do you cook them? How?)

Last night, I Duck Taped the parts together while I decide on adhesives...or possibly some other means of securing and reinforcing these pieces, as well as other elements that still need to be cut and molded. This morning, I snapped a photo of Joseph in the mask. I rattled off two concept art sketches during a training class this afternoon just to get a more concrete look at all the parts in this puzzle.

But, yeah, it has begun. I'll post more as I make progress. Thanks for joining in the journey and having a look!

image.jpg


image.jpg


image.jpg
 

Killit

Unblooded
Added pewter brads to help secure the parts in place. Not sure how this will do long term, but for now it looks like a good idea.

image.jpg
 

Killit

Unblooded
Insomnia struck. It worked for me this time. Not always. But this time. Knocked out the pauldrons. Then I built the cannon this afternoon.
image.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Killit

Unblooded
I built the chest/best armor last night after Thanksgiving dinner Joseph tried it on and it was a little tight. Thankfully, correcting the problem did not involve scrapping the whole vest. I split the vertical seam along the spine and added a slender strip of foam between the two halves of the vest. Boom! It fits, so I attached the pauldrons to it. Cannon backpack will probably be next.

image.jpg
 

spgfx

Hunter
This build is great so far! That is one very lucky young child. You are so creative with the foam and how you make it fit and flow together. I look forward to seeing more updates.

Thank you !
 

Killit

Unblooded
Added the cannon to the backpack platform today. Second attempt got it pretty close. Might have to see about reinforcing the platform though. Meanwhile, on to gauntlets, greaves, and dreadlocks.

image.jpg


image.jpg
 

Killit

Unblooded
Tonight's progress: the knives gauntlet. Needs a little more detailing, but here's the base form.

image.jpg


image.jpg
 

spgfx

Hunter
This is coming along so cool. I love the construction technique with the rivets. Will you adopt me and make me one ? Im a hard worker and always clean my room.
 

Killit

Unblooded
LOL! Thanks so much, spgfx!!! (I'll have to talk it over with the wife.)

I was worried the rivets would interfere with the overall look, but they're working out nicely! Just bought 40' of 5/8" backer rod for the dreadlocks. So...budget is at $35 now.
 

Killit

Unblooded
No photos this time. I put about $10 more in a couple pieces of foam and two bags of 5/8" backer rod. $45 on the budget so far. I rebuilt the back of the head into a better set of pieces; my first attempt at dreadlocks holes was terrible. Planning to drill this next attempt instead of cutting with a blade. One of the benefits of foam backer rod is that it can be pulled through a smaller diameter opening and, because it expands, locks itself in place. I'll probably Duck Tape the inside just to be sure.

(Pictures once it's done.)
 

Killit

Unblooded
Finally....DREADLOCKS!!! Or as I like to call them...PredLocks! Made from 5/8" backer rod at lengths of 3", 12", and 15-18" depending on placement; about 40-46 of them. Drilled the 3/8" holes into the foam headpiece. And after cooking the cut tips over the stove, pulled each Lock through. They should "fall" into place once they're decorated with rings and such.

image.jpg


image.jpg


image.jpg
 
Top