Latex Or Urethane Rubber

majZippo

Unblooded
Hi im new to this site..and ive been looking around..all the stuff here is amazing and made me wanna make a pred costume myself.....this week im going to make a sculpter of a pred shoulder armor and use silicone to mold it. My question is if i should use Latex or Urethane rubber for my cast.

biohunter76

Hunter
If your mold is going to be silicone than cast it in urethane rubber. You can use latex to cast it but your latex will need an additive to help it dry. Silicone and urethane rubber seem like an expensive way to go. You would be better off molding your sculpture in Ultracal or hydracal stone and casting your part in latex. It would be a fall less costly process. Good luck!

majZippo

Unblooded
is it possible to use the latex or urethane as a mold for the oil based clay im using or urthane as mold and latex as a cast?

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Silicone molds are good for resin, urethane, and some metal castings.
Plaster/ultra cal is good for gel 10 and latex castings.

Latex, Silicone, Urethane, and Plaster/ Ultra Cal all make good for molds depending on what your going to cast in them.

Mannowar

Hunter
If you cast in silicone, you're going to have to do something other than latex (i.e. resin or urethane)... the latex will never cure in a silicone mold and once the silicone has been on you're original, it's pretty much contaminated the sculpt. You might be able to use Crystal Clear over the entire sculpt, then re-mold it. But always remember, silicone and latex don't like each other very much. And, as Biohunter said, silicone and urethane or resin is a very expensive way to go.

majZippo

Unblooded
thanks...umm do any of you know what a cheap way to go is....and also where do i get the silicone mold and urethane rubber.1 more thing lol....can i use urethane as a mold and latex as a cast..or the other way around.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
thanks...umm do any of you know what a cheap way to go is....and also where do i get the silicone mold and urethane rubber.1 more thing lol....can i use urethane as a mold and latex as a cast..or the other way around.
Not unless you add the dryer to the latex so it will cure. You need to make a plaster /ultra cal mold to cast plain latex.

inkmonster

Hunter
Not unless you add the dryer to the latex so it will cure. You need to make a plaster /ultra cal mold to cast plain latex.
scottas used a brush on urethane rubber with a hard outer shell to cast his torso armor and he pours latex in it and it dries just fine. maybe he'll jump in on this topic.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
He must be magic or have have magic latex because it don't dry just fine in my molds. It rolls off the side and it takes alot time just to get a thin film to even stick.

majZippo

Unblooded
i think im just gonna go with plaster and latex because it's cheaper and easier for me. thanks tho guys i appreciate it.