Latex paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tillfx

What is best for using on a mask, paint mixed with pros-aide or rubber cement? And can you mix tamiya acrilycs with these two chemicals.?
THX Hunters

P

predator314

Either one should work but the rubber cement is way more toxic to work with. Use a resperator if you use the rubber cement. I would go with the Pros-Aide and yes any acrylic paint can be used on latex.

M

Maverick118

you could always thin latex down and mix the acrylic in with it as a tint and spray that. I know that's what some of the guys over at the monster lab suggest. But I think you can only do it with some brands of air brush.

Q

queenhunter

Yes,use latex with colors that you want to add to the latex.
I use to work at Cinema Secrets and I was a painter and that is the way we used to paint the mask. The airbrush I used was a single action pull PAASCHE some of the guy used Iawata or Bager brands. Just thin out the latex with distilled water enough to go through the airbrush. Sometimes you will need to clean the tip with an old toothbrush.

T

tillfx

i paint with an aztek testor can you spray latex with that.

Q

queenhunter

tillfx,

just thin out the latex but not too much to go through the tip with the color of choice and maybe bring up the psi just a bit and you should be fine. Their is also some airbrush paints that work well on latex its call Aquaflow paints. They have a real good elasticity.

P

Predatweaker

Aquaflow.. thats what I used to use when I did t-shirts.. smae stuff for latex costumes? hmmm

J

joevader

For my base coat on everything, I used a mix of Monstermakers pro-adhesive, and acrylic paint. Then all colours and spots done in washes airbrushed in FW acrylic ink watered down with alcohol....alcoholed down...? Then more spots added with acrylic paint...

V

vincentmanuel

what ? the latex doesnt peel off or anything like that ?

M

mangrasshopper

hi everyone,
ive got a question about the prosaide mix. I mixed prosaide and liquitex in a 50/50 mix...and i want to spray it through my airbrush. can i thin it with alchohol? The liquitex is so thick?
please help!
thanks
joe

H

Hunterpred210

I just water down regualr casting latex with windex or distilled water..thats what the pros said then you can use whatever acrylic paint to it. Test some before you paint it will dry darker than it looks. I seal with perma wet.

M

mangrasshopper

cool! Thanks alot, im excited to paint it up!
so ill add the windex/water to the 50/50 mix and spray it on....its just so different than priming a resin model and painting it.
ill post pics when im done.
thanks again!

H

Hunterpred210

Another tip try to get the latex paint mix to the consitancy of milk. It cant be too thick or it will clog.

M

mangrasshopper

ok, got the 1st coat applied, it seems tacky, is this normal? will it become non tacky??
i will let it dry more and await a relpy as you guys are the pro's!!!
thanks

H

Hunterpred210

Yes I have noticed without sealer the paint by itself sticks. If you seal it with perma wet the lates pieces should not stick to each other.

M

MEANGENE83

Oh yea. I totally forgot about this...

MINWAX POLYCRYLIC WATER BASED CLEAR SATIN!

Stuff is exact same as perma wet in my experience.
Paints like it. Same color and texture, EVEN SAME SMELL!!!

This is a water based polycrylic which i used on a Construction site to poly some doors.

I airbrushed it on ALL my latex costume pieces.

And i even mixed in some of this into the paint to help it adhere!

IF YOU DONT AT LEAST TRY THIS STUFF- ur an idiot. Cuz it is like 10 bucks TOPS for a quart!

GENE

M

mangrasshopper

awesome MG83! Can i pick up the minwax at any hardware store? Home depot??
If so ill be out getting me some today!!!
Thanks for all the info. you guys are great!

U

uglymuvva

hi.
im new to the latex making stuff, is this the latex they use for
making candle moulds and stuff or is it a different latex that i need to know about.

H

Hunterpred210

I beleive it is a differnt grade latex for candles. You need casting latex.

M

MEANGENE83

Yea mask latex and mold latex are two totally different things.

Mask latex is obviuously for masks and has a different consistency and

MOLD latex is for molds and is alot thicker i would imagine.

-------------

MINWAX SHOULD be able to be gotten from home depot. Home Depot sucks balls tho. I got this paint from a ACE HARDWARE store that sells benhjamin moore products.
Try somewhere like that. Cuz dome depot doesnt carry BEJAMIND MOORE PAINTS.

oh and a note to anyone painting their house inside or out.
Use benjamin moore poaints for INDOOR PAINTING! and SHERMIN WILLIAMS for outside painting.

If u use ANY paint brand outside of these two, you will regret it. Nothing compares to the quality of these house paints.
Price is roughly the same as the cheap home depot crap.

Take it from me i am a house painter by trade, its my day job.

GENE

Status
Not open for further replies.