Latex question

M

MoviesColin

How long does it take your latex to dry? I filled a mold with it last night, and after 22 hours it still hasn't dried. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a new kind of latex? I know heat cures it faster, but should I really stick a hair dryer next to it for hours? Thanks for all your help.

M

Maverick118

Dude did you do a dwell (pour latex in mold and leave to build thickness and then pour out) or a slush cast (pour latex in slush it about pour out and then wait for it to dry and repeat again and again to build thickness)?? Also is it in a plaster mold? Fibre glass? Silicone?? All salient points that we'll need to know to help mate. I had one of my chest pulls take a couple of days to dry out thoroughly as I had used the thixo agent to thicken the latex. So I knew straight the way that the thickened latex would take a lot longer to gel and dry out to a point that I could remove it from the mold.

M

MoviesColin

Plaster mold, 1/4 inch thick, poured in and spread it over the mold.

MEANGENE83

Hunter
Ya know my first ultracal mold i had this same problem.

I poured in latex, let it dwell. THen poured the excess and it NEVER DRIED!

I thought the mold was lost, so i put it aside and a year later gave it another shot and WHAMMO just worked.

Make sure you let the mold you have DRY on its own before you pour anything into it.

What u can also do it put a fan blowing at it, dont right next to it cuz u dont want to dry the OUTTER layer of the latex too fast and leave the inside of it wet.

The constantly moving air will help it dry. DOnt bake the mold or anything, this will make it crack over time.

Also make sure that there arent any spots that have pooled extra thick ,cuz those will never dry.
Also try turning the mold upside down on an eggcrate and put the fan on beside it.

That way u will drain any heavy spots, and also circulate air.

Some things to think about mr Dear Mr. COLIN POWELL!!

M

Maverick118

Yup a plaster mold needs to be allowed to dry out completely. A leave my molds (the ones that stay in one piece) to dry for about 3-4 days to dry out totally. This allows for better moisture absorbtion by the mold and thus quicker set up of the latex. Try putting your tongue on the plaster mold, if it sticks to it it's dry enough to do a pour.

M

MoviesColin

Yuck? I guess I'll try it. I looks fairly dry, dry to the touch, but it's still "gooey". I'll just give it till noon tomorrow and see what happens. This is my first latex cast, gotta make sure I'm doing it right.

M

Maverick118

Well if it's still gooey after this time, it could be that the latex you've put in is too thick. It'll take ages to dry. My first shoulder bell did htis iit took a week to cure, and then it was still a bit squidgy in parts. Take heart mate it happens to the best of us, just means we do better next time.

M

MoviesColin

Well, is this how I'm supposed to do it? Just pour in the latex, or am I supposed to do it in layers?

C

CyberPred

Collin,

Pour in your latex let it sit then pour it out. Is the latex you are using Amonia Based or Water. Will make a difference.

Amonia works by evaporation. Water is a lot more of a pain in the ass.

Good Luck,

Cary