Latex skin peeling

PredaBEAST

Unblooded
I have made 2 skin suits now. After each con or photoshoot i need to airbrush touch up the paint. I mix in permawet with my paint when i airbrush and add permawet on after im all done painting, but i still have problems with it peeling. I recently was told to use pros-aid. I wanted to ask if anyone has tips to put pros aid on or a different suggestion. Thank you

inkmonster

Hunter
I was told that prosaide is more for making pax paint for foam latex appliances. I did use it on a suit years ago with decent results. My second suit I used monster makers latex paint base. On my current suit Im using Createx Adhesive Promoter made by Tim Gore. Cheaper then both prosaide and latex paint base and seems to work way better.

inkmonster

Hunter
I usually mix it with my base paint color then while its still a bit tacky airbrush my FX inks over it. If its for touch up you could mix it with your base color some people mix it with every layer. Or you could spray it on like you said then spray your colors over it. I think you would use more of it that way though. I got mine at Chicago airbrush supply. But depending on where you live you may want to google places in your area that sell it.

predatoj

Blooded
Tim gore airbrushes one layer of adhesion promoter lets it go tacky and then shoots his base coat on to it. This is the correct method. I have his video.

PredaBEAST

Unblooded
Ok thanks but after i get a "base coat" how do i put the other colors and detail work and have it not peel. Add more adhesion until its tacky and spray those colors on in those areas? Also should i add one extra layer to it at the end to protect it? Thanks again guys

PredaBEAST

Unblooded
I usually mix it with my base paint color then while its still a bit tacky airbrush my FX inks over it. If its for touch up you could mix it with your base color some people mix it with every layer. Or you could spray it on like you said then spray your colors over it. I think you would use more of it that way though. I got mine at Chicago airbrush supply. But depending on where you live you may want to google places in your area that sell it.
I see you said you use FX inks to color it. I was using airbrush paint and then was told i could use regular acrylic if i watered it down and use a sealer like permawet mixed in. Maybe this is part of the problem?

predatoj

Blooded
Ok thanks but after i get a "base coat" how do i put the other colors and detail work and have it not peel. Add more adhesion until its tacky and spray those colors on in those areas? Also should i add one extra layer to it at the end to protect it? Thanks again guys
Nope. It's one coat of adhesion promoter, then base color the you can just paint away. Then seal it. If it's peeling then something is wrong somewhere. But the method I described is correct, there are no special techniques or secrets. It's pretty straight forward. But yes wreav is right you cannot paint too thick. That's why its best to use ink because its super thin and the pigment is strong. You can use paint but it would have to be thinned with flow improver or IPA (alchohol) water has surface tension and weakens the pigment.

PredaBEAST

Unblooded
So is this ink for airbrushes sold at craft stores like Michaels? And to seal it after all this what is recommended, permawet? Prosaids? Thanks again

PredaBEAST

Unblooded
Also i was thinking that i should put a few latex layers over what i have and start over. Would that be better to help prevent later peeling or if i just add the adhesion promoter to what i have and just paint over it would that work?

predatoj

Blooded
Latex based paints won't crack and peel as they have a mechanical bond as your essentially spraying latex on latex. The problem is you can't shoot it through an AB.

LunaticNic

Hunter
I used latex paint and it worked fine through an airbrush, just need to make sure you thin it out and always clean it thoroughly

LunaticNic

Hunter
It can also ruin an airbrush if any is left, due to it sticking in places you can't clean. So if it is done with latex paint it will hold longer, but you always run the risk of clogging the airbrush to the point where it can't be cleared out. So as with many things you have to weigh the pros and cons.