Lexus the lady gryphon (or how trial and error became my friends)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Talk' started by Nightdweller, May 26, 2016.

1. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

Hi Kheira!

Sorry, haven't replied in quite some time..was busy jumping a certain hurdle ;P

Regarding what I said earlier about the tongue made from latex, I read it as beak, instead of tongue, that's why I thought it might be too soft for a beak made of latex then stuffed. Ugh, lol, sorry! ;P

Anyway, this is looking really good so far!!! I'm glad you found your niche in Worbla :) I've heard it's an amazing product, but too expensive here as they don't normally ship to here..if you want one, have to get it from Australia and have to be atleast 6pcs, and after everything, it's not worth it. Resin is way way cheaper..

About the Smooth on foam Nic mentioned, take a look at their site for distributors in your country..It's weird that they've got some sort of restrictions on Smooth-on in your place, smooth-on is one of the more safer products in its basket. Or you could also see if you've got a BJB distributor, and if they have TC-266 or something similar :)

More, more more!!!

Nightdweller likes this.
  2. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Hi Isu, no problem lol! I saw your post :)

Ah now that clarifies things :p no, no squishy beaks here. Unless it's a plushie :3

Well, as far as I know, Worbla originated in the USA (I think with another name though) and then started being manufactured in Germany as well. There is now an even better product called "Cosplayflex" which has some nice improvements. I wanted to buy some of that stuff at the Fantasy Basel Convention but the guys who sold it only hat gigantic rolls with them. I figured that that would be too expensive, as we already had bought 3 preds and the red alien queen that day, so I went to the Worbla vendor and got a smaller roll. Being an absolute beginner with Worbla, it was better not to get the large roll. Dude I understand completely how you feel. So many good crafting materials are either way too expensive or just nowhere to be found in Switzerland. I don't like ordering from Germany either because of the barbaric shipping costs and the diabolical import taxes...

Strangely it seems like ordering from the german Smooth-on distributer is now available to the public! But those shipping fees make me cringe in agony :,(

Thanks for recommending BJB to me. Sadly, the german distributer of BJB is extremely restrictive. They don't even list their products :(

I'll just go with what Swiss-Composite has in store. Maybe if I give them a call they can send me cured samples of their foams.

Sorry, no real progress for now. I have to admit that I haven't been working on Lexus for the past week. The last thing I did was coating the jaw with non-diluted PVA after I had put on a few layers of diluted PVA. The once very rough surface of the Worbla is getting smoother and smoother without the need of sanding. When I looked at the upper beak I saw that there was an ugly spot in one corner where the latex had pooled under a safety foil I had put on the nose skin to prevent black latex from staining it. So I started building up a thick layer of PVA to "bridge" the ugly looking raised latex stains and smooth them out into the beak. I figured that a coating of PVA would look nice and shiny on the upper beak as well, so I put a coat all over one side of it. I was thinking that perhaps I could get that organic layered "skin peel" effect that is seen in eagle's beaks: 137439-EagleEyeCU.jpg at least the non-colored transparent PVA coat gives it a bit of depth :)

I should get back to work!

Greets
    Kheira

137439-EagleEyeCU.jpg

Isubomo likes this.
  3. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

Hey Kheira :)

Here's to finding materials that won't leave our wallets aching, eh? :) Hope it all works out with that swiss composite supplier :)

4. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

It's always the same struggle! Before I got married and still lived with my parents I used to spend ALL my money on crafting supplies. That's not possible anymore, so I gotta adjust. It's not easy but I think it's good training.

What's worse than availability sometimes is the language barrier. Hell, did it take long until I realized that PVA is nothing more than the good ol' white wood glue that we all used as kids! *facepalm*

I'll keep you updated as soon as there's something new going on :3

Greets
    Kheira

Isubomo likes this.
  5. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

LOL, me too! I only knew the PVA = White glue less than 2 years ago :p

Looking forward to it! Cheers Kheira! :)

6. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

A small update on my current brawl...
    I decided that I should finish the soldering work now that a friend got me the battery pack that I need to get both fans plus two LEDs running. Well first I remembered that I had made an ugly mistake last year when I attached two identical wires to both ends of the fan's wires before covering them up so there was a high chance of me soldering the wrong points together. I figured that wih a battery, I could quickly find out which one was the plus side and which one was the minus side. Well it turned out that despite of all my hard work installing the fan in a way that it wouldn't catch on anything, it still got stuck. Completely stuck. So I cut open the skull again, stripped the wires and cut the zipties off and removed the nuts that should've held the fan blades off the plastic mesh but didn't. I figured that I need a better way some kind of rigid tubing to ziptie the fan through to keep it raised well away from the mesh.

I found a ballpoint pen and murdered it with my dremel :)

20160623_132928_002.jpg

This is the result and I'm pretty satisfied. The wires that run left and right are from the LEDs in the eyes.

20160623_133342.jpg

I hope to finish the soldering work tomorrow and glue the skull top back together!

Greetings
    Kheira

20160623_132928_002.jpg

20160623_133342.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Isubomo and LunaticNic like this.
  7. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

Ingenious!!! :D

Nightdweller likes this.
  8. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Thx Isu! I'm trying to learn to work with the materials that are available :)

So I got the soldering work done today and I'm happy to say that it works!!

I had a few problems while soldering (tin dripping off instead of coating the wires) and I hope to get that settled soon...

Greetings
    Kheira

Wreav, Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  9. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Nice work on installing that cpu fan! I'm thinking about making an underskull for my Behemoth mask (once it's gotten that far) and installing one, as those masks do heat up inside pretty damn quick!

Nightdweller likes this.
  10. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

If you use gumboil(flux) or colophony - it can make some problems with soldering for some types of wires. Shit happens.

Nightdweller likes this.
  11. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Hi Nic :) yeah, building a foam and fur mask myself, I bet that it gets hot underneath an airtight latex mask! You will need vent holes in the latex though, so good planning of the placement is important. But once you have it, you won't regret it. The only thing you need to be careful with is that nothing will catch on the fans. There are cpu fans that come with metal fan covers and I highly recommend them. Because if something touches even only the spinning center part it will slow the fan down or stop it completely. And depending on the direction you want the air to flow, it may well be that the uncovered spinning bit side touches the surface of either your underskull or latex. That's why I had to put the plastic tubes in between.
    Anyways I can't wait to see your pull of that beast! *_*

Jmen, thanks for your advice, though I have to admit that I have never heard those names. Lol I'm a total beginner! My soldering tin is
    S-Sn99Cu1 Fg 2,2 % lol ^^

Thank you guys for all your kind words of support! You really keep me going :)

Greets
    Kheira

LunaticNic likes this.
  12. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

also you have easy way to check your materials. you need only 1 tablet of aspirin. put an aspirin+your S-Sn99Cu1 bla bla bla:D and try to solder your wire. if it is good - then problem is in your gumboil. if with aspirin it will be that same - bad wire.
    oh, use 250-270C temperature for S-Sn99Cu1 bla bla bla :D

13. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Hey Jmen thanks!

So I need to put an aspirin and my soldering wire in water?
    Gumboil - do you have another word for this, or maybe a picture? The only thing I can find called "gumboil" is mouth disease xD

250C? I will give ot a shot. I've been soldering with 450C because it would take up to 60 seconds for the soldering tin to melt =_=

Greetings
    Kheira

Jmen likes this.
  14. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

15. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

I like the fact that you record your progress, seldom do I see that nowadays!

LunaticNic likes this.
  16. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Hey Jmen, thanks for all your help. I get it now. I'm working without gumboil but there is flux inside the solder I use. It burned on the soldering tip making it unable to carry enough heat. Perhaps I will need a new soldering tip. I have scratched it a lot with metal wool and scraped the burnt stuff off with a knife. I then put some solder on the tip but there are still black areas I can't cover. I'll keep trying...

Wreav, I'm happy to post everything on here. It helps me keep track of my faults x)

Greetings
    Kheira

Jmen likes this.
  17. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Hey guys I'm back at it, although I am making as much progress as a snail crossing the road xD

I'll just drop a few patterning test sketches.

FB_IMG_1468408339918.jpg
    FB_IMG_1468496757845.jpg

And what I'm currently doing is filling up gaps in the gumline with acrylic glue. It's taking me ages because the glue shrinks and then requires me to put on a second coat. And it takes forever to dry. I wish I had some lightweight putty similar to Apoxie sculpt. But acrylic glue does the job and it looks great. It also adds a nice wet shine. I am using it to coat the beak as well. It is thicker than PVA and it stays in place instead of running down.

FB_IMG_1468789534302.jpg FB_IMG_1468789731806.jpg

Greetings!

Kheira

FB_IMG_1468496757845.jpg

FB_IMG_1468789534302.jpg

FB_IMG_1468789731806.jpg

Isubomo, Jmen and Wreav like this.
  18. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Hey guys
    I know it's been a while, but I'm not dead. In fact, the reason why I suddenly stopped posting about Lexus is because of our wedding party! Yes and we built a mandalorian costume for my husband so that's where my time and energy went.
    I also battled days of depression but I'm doing much better now.
    What I have been obsessed with lately are warhammer miniatures. I'm just starting to learn how to paint them.
    So hopefully you will see something new, soon!

Greetings
    Kheira

Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  19. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

No to depression!
    Yes to wedding party!
    Trophies for hunters!
    Money for nothing!
    Chicks for free!!!
    :D:D:D

Nightdweller likes this.
  20. Nightdweller

Nightdweller Blooded

Maybe I'll get a blister on my little finger...
    Or maybe I'll get a blister on my thumb?
    I got a list of Microwave orders!
    xD

Jmen likes this.