Looking for a good or the best

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I been seeing a lot of post about this. I have been on the lair for a little over a year and the new people always keep asking the same questions, not saying this is a bad thing. There are only two main ways to get great pred masks.
1. Make it your selfs
2. Money

Making the mask your self will give your greater satisfaction. Paying for one; you will not have the head aches that come with making it. Predators masks come in many different price ranges. The more money you spend the better and closer the mask will be to the movie version. You can buy a Rubies mask and go with that, but most people want a sick looking mask for the same price (not going to happen). The Rubies mask or a Morris mask are just latex pulled mask, this meaning less time to produce cheaper the cost. Most masks people see on the lair are latex, foam, resin, and bake and bend. So here is a list of of average material cost prices to have a full mask made. The higher the price the better the quality.

1. Mask Pull 100.oo and up
2. Formed dreads 125.oo and up
3. Backer Rod 25.oo and up
4. Pros-aide 2.15 oz need about 16oz
5. Latex base 1.20 oz need about 16oz
6. Perma-Wet 2.40 oz need about 8oz
7. Paint 3.00 2oz depends on how many colors
8. Bake and Bend 1.75
9. Resin 75.oo gallon
10. Cost of someone time to paint it 100.oo and up
11. Glue 5.00 to 8.00
12. Shipping
13. Foaming the inside of the mask cost me 50.00 to have done

Making a mask involves sculpting, tools, clay, armature, plaster, latex, and time. Then you have to pay for all the materials to put it together listed above. The whole thing comes down to predator mask are not cheap to buy or make. So when you see a price tag ranging from 200.oo and up there is a reason for it.
moneyp2.jpg

Kithunter make up the title for the bill above​

Dont forget not every mask made is "perfect", some have bubbles, tears etc...so for someone to make you a flawless mask sometimes takes a few attempts. Most masks take at least 5 gallons of latex for the dwell, and that alone runs around 200.00+ shipped to your door. Alot of time goes into making a finished mask, casting, foaming, prepping to paint, finishing teeth, painting, attaching dreads, quills, etc. I would always recommend having the mask foamed, otherwise the weight of the dreads are going to disfigure the mask when you put it on. Any mask under 400- 500 is a bargain.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Very good points Gene, thanks for adding them in to the equation. I also forgot when your buying a mask from the sculpter/maker your paying for the materials to sculpt it and his time that it took to sculpt it, material costs to mold it, and the material costs to produce it for sale.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
think you coverd everything tbh scott. :(

good to see this bumped back up, may stop some of the more obvious questions from el noobos

Are you making a big difference between different types of resin??? I bought my resin off of eBay for 25 or 30 bucks per gallon and it works perfectly fine. Only problem I had were bubbles, but that can't be a resin type/brand thing? I can see high quality might be an issue when it comes to latex, but with resin? I'm curious.

BigGunns

Blooded
Amen brotha. I think allot of this boils down to laziness. Because if you go through the threads(all of them) you will see who sculpted what. Then you contact that person and ask if they are selling their mask.

Neither Scott or I or anyone else on this board is personal pm Ask Jeeves. Thats what the board is for- to ask questions. Ones that haven't already been covered. If you aren't willing to do the leg work yourself then- "don't let the door knob hit ya where the dog should have bit ya".

BigGunns

Blooded
That would be a good way to help pay for this place.

BTW is there like a community chest here were we can make donations to help pay the rent here ?

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Are you making a big difference between different types of resin??? I bought my resin off of eBay for 25 or 30 bucks per gallon and it works perfectly fine. Only problem I had were bubbles, but that can't be a resin type/brand thing? I can see high quality might be an issue when it comes to latex, but with resin? I'm curious.
Thats the differents right there bubbles. Resin used for bios, teeth, and beads need to be smooth and clean. Nobody wants to have to take alot of time sanding and filling pieces that should be near perfect. When I say a gallon, you get a gallon of part a and a gallon of part b. So really thats two gallons of resin when mixed.