Lunaticnic's Build WIP completed.

LunaticNic

Hunter
Thanks! and see scanff, I am able to make a sculpt that I am happy with ... let's see how it's going to go with the mask making part ... I have absolutely 0 Experience with making casts (and with that I mean I've tried it twice and both times failed miserably when attempting to remove the plaster from the clay ...)

scanff

Young Blood
I think you're supposed to cast hard with soft. Like make a silicone cast from the clay then plaster from that.

Never done anything like this myself so you may want to read around.

backbone

Blooded
Yes, if you want a latex or silicone mask rubber mask (the cast) you will need a hard material for the mold. The mold is the negative (at least 2 piece for a mask) that you put your casting material in (latex or silicone) and pull out once cured to create your silicone e or latex mask. You will need ultracal/hydrocal plaster (easier for a beginner) or resin and fiberglass (for the more experienced).
How to make a two part plaster mold for latex mas: http://youtu.be/d8hYA0zV4qI
Goof luck and have fun, it all a learning experience

scanff

Young Blood
LunaticNic said:
... I'm a bit confused ... but wouldn't the latex stick to the silicone?
Sorry for the confusion. I ment silicone on the clay then a negative plaster from the silicone which you would apply the latex to. I'll have to watch the video above as I've never done it, I've only read about it.

LunaticNic

Hunter
thanks for the vid backbone! That certainly helps, just wish it would show the person removing the mold from the clay XD . Also had another question ... Is there a difference in the texture or anything if using silicone instead of latex? Or is it just an allergy thing?

LunaticNic

Hunter
lol
I'm trying to figure out what would be better to use, since I`m planning on making this mask with movable mandibles/ animatronics

backbone

Blooded
Texture wise it will be just about the same, but silicone will last waaaaay longer when on top of animatronics, you can get it in all kinds of different stretch abilities, tear strengths, firmness, and cure times. Scanff is correct, that **** is expensive! Latex is cheap and decently durable. Silicone is the way to go if you feel like researching and spending that kind of money. Either way you can come out with the same quality.

LunaticNic

Hunter
hmm ok Thanks allot for that, I think for now I'm going to stick with Latex, until I make my next mask, at which point I hope I have improved my sculpting abilities a bit more, to make a sculpt that is worth making a silicone mask from

backbone

Blooded
Sounds like a good plan. Latex will break down over time since its really just the sap from a tree. It's kinda stiff and isn't super stretchy. I've heard of latex lasting a few years and I've heard of it lasting 15, it just depends on the it's function, climate, and the manufacturer's blend.
Now silicone is a different story. It only drys out over the years of use. A little silicone oil wipe down and its fresh and soft again.

LunaticNic

Hunter
I've continued sculpting some more, and I now believe that I may have some discrepancies with making a 2 part mold due to the "dual" spike crowns and some pieces of the mouth. If I do have to make it a multiple piece mold (more than 2) is there anything in particular I need to watch out for? and to any veterans, could you give me an approximate "mapping" guide on where to seperate the mold into different pieces?
thanks,
Nic