Making casts... and stuff

S

Shovel Face Sharky

OK, so tonight I was thinking at work... what's new, right?
I was thinking about what I needed to do and now to make my bodysuit and such. I had an idea I thought I'd try but figured I'd see what you guys thought:
For a body cast, taking duct tape and wrapping myself (with the aid of someone else) and then cutting it down the side so that there's a front and back half. Then, reattaching them together and just using that as a rough model for my suit.

Also for hands and forearms, I was thinking that if I covered my hand and arm in Vaseline, then wrapped it in seran wrap, then covered with duct tape, (assuming I could get my hand through the place where my wrist was without mesing it up too much) I'd have a good forearm/hand mold and I could then pour something in it to make a cast. When it sets up, then tape and seran could be cut away and then that could be used as I need it.

Anyone tried this or have any thoughts? I'm still a TOTAL newbie with this stuff, so I was just brainstorming and though I'd get some opinions some those of you who have experience with use things.

MEANGENE83

Hunter
That hand covered in vaseline thing seems like it would work my friend.

Even if the casting made from the duct tape hand thing was kinda crummy, you could always sand it/carve it a little. It doesnt need any huge detail if you will be sculpting over it. I am assuming.

GOOD IDEA!

The duct tape dummy thing work great!
I have a set of legs made JUST as you mentioned, EXCEPT i filled the legs with expandable foam. That way it was hard and i could sculpt right on the duct tape.

Good thing about these is, once they are done you have mannequin to put your suit on.

I still have to go my upper body as a matter of fact, so much to do so little freaken time!

GENE

M

Maverick118

Well what i did for my duct tape hand and forearm, was to buy a pair of rubber gloves, not the thin latex ones, as you want it to be a bit bigger than your actual hands because of the 5-10% shrinkage you'll get with latex. Then wearing it I covered it with cellophane (cling film or seran wrap) all the way up to half my bicep. Then covered that in two or three layers of duct tape (using small lengths of about two inches down to half inch on the fingers. Then slit the forearm part down to about half way and extracted my hand. Then the filling is up to you, expanding foam is good as I used this and filled the forearm up halfway and then inserted some plumbing tube and filled some more and waited for it to expand and set. I mounted the tube insert into some plywood sections and hey presto one hand and forearm to sulpt on. I mounted it vertical because it's easier to sulpt and tun the sucker around, now casting it is another matter.

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Gene,

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. For the hands and feet I'll be sculpting over it so I'm not too worried about it being perfect. Also, as Mav mentioned, by doing a couple layers of Seran and then tape over it, it'll be bigger than my hand anyway, so there'll be some playing room there for the final
Yes! I just tonight thought of filling it with expandable foam, actually! I was thinking about the post and then about a dummy for teh suit while I'm working on/painting it and thought about how relatively cheap this foam is. Especially since I've seen guys doing this and then just slopping some resin in there for stability
But thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's thought of this (and, even more that it'll actually work!!! )
Any more opinions and Ideas I'm always interested in hearing!

M

Maverick118

You don't have to stuff it with foam you can use screwed up news paper cushion foam as filler (the stuff they use to fill pillows and whatnot, Vince AKA RaptorArts has a nice duct tape dummy tutorial on his site and it tells you how to give it an internal skeleton using PVC plumbing tube (good old PVC plumbing pipe where would prop builders be with out it) and I know one guy who has a tutorial for download about it too, I'll hunt him down and grab a copy.