Mark V Plasma Caster is on the work table!!!...

P

pirkleations

For those who have been wondering......

I've just begun work on my next Predator Cannon called the Mark V. I basically designed it to go with the AVP Chopper-style Bio or the P2 armor.
I've got the body shape put together to match the shape of the concept sketch below pretty closely. I'm sure that there will be some differences from concept to finished 3-D sculpture. But I am going to make sure to keep the scalloped housing and details as close to my original idea as possible.
I just put some support foam into the body of the cannon to keep the barrel straight and have to let it sit overnight before I continue work on it.
No pictures of the cannon progress yet. It looks too butt-ugly right now and would crack your computer screen if the image popped up.(duct tape and screws)
But first chance I get, I'll throw a coat of primer on it to show it's humble beginnings
Just imagine the results as being very similar to the sketch below and cross your fingers for me!!!

DangerDavey

Mark5cannon_planA.jpg

K

kithunter

SWEET MOTHER ......

Been waiting to see this, please show me how ya go about it.

It would be awesome to see the process.

*munches popcorn*

J

JAILER1955

I'm sure it's going to look fantastic. I have liked all the concept drawings you have posted concerning the cannons. Your sense of style comes through without a problem. I'm sure the clay will show the same promise.
george

A

acerhater

That would match up well with AVP style armor. Keep us updated would you cause I am very interested in seeing how this turns out. Looks very promising

T

The Big Gunns

Dayuuuum... cant wait to see this one. Love the design. I want to sculpt a cannon now.. see what you've done Dave! ~Mel

P

pirkleations

Mwwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Here's a tidbit of info regarding my creative process for the Mark V Cannon....

I first tried to figure out what I could use as the basic shape to build on. At first, I was headed in the direction of a wooden block cut to suit. I gave up on that pretty quickly, not having the proper tools to work it out. Balsa would have been easier than pine. Plus, I need a table-vise in the worst way!!!
Then, I turned to the avenue of "found items", already having a couple of toy parts that could be easily built up on. Building one thing out of another thing seems to be my favorite way of prop-making. It's working out very well so far and is going to be a sweet piece of weaponry.
I'll be posting a picture or two of the first phase of construction today.
Stay frosty!!

DangerDavey

P

pirkleations

Okay, kids.
Here's a peek at the progress of the new Mark V Cannon. It still has recognizable components at this stage. But the overall look of the cannon is starting to show. I'll be layering more over the basic shape to create the lines of the original concept sketches. But the size is 100% to my plan. It measures 9.5 inches in the photo, but will end up more than 10.5 inches when it is finished.
Always looks better with a coat of primer, don't it?

DangerDavey

markVprog06.jpg

P

pirkleations

If I told you, my wife would have to make you disappear.

What do you get when you cross a computer mouse, a toy bowling pin and a metal tube? A potentially bas-a$$ Plasma Caster!!!
There's a lot of work still to be done on it, including more shaping and texture. I'm thinking of keeping the back end of it almost as it is since it is looking so slick.
Sometimes my designs evolve beyond my own concepts and turn out even better than the idea. This may be one of thsoe cases.
It's not the Mark V, though. Maybe it can be the Atlantean Cannon.

DangerDavey

S

Savage Yautja

That cannon design compliments my head sculpt's present appearance and overall theme theme sooo well it's scary....but in a good way...

P

pirkleations

I guess it just shows how much a lot of us on in the Lair are on the same wavelength. Scary is right!!!!

I didn't really plan on keeping the current look of this cannon but it just grew on me over the last 2 days.

I'll have it finished by the end of the week at this rate!

I'll still be doing the more faithful version of the Mark V. It will be fully sculpted except for any techno-bits for the detailing.

DangerDavey

P

pirkleations

Here are a couple of update pictures of the "Atlantean" Plasma Caster.
With my last two cannons, I was able to use super sculpey to add on features and details. But this one is a challenge, since some of the component parts I used for the base easily melt and distort in the oven. I was able to bake some separate texture pieces and add them on the cannon barrel using super glue. This kept me from having to bake the whole cannon into a congealed lump.
I'm using a two-part epoxy clay/putty called Magic Sculpt for the larger surfaces I need to extend, fill or blend. Note the muzzle of the cannon. It is basically all Magic Sculpt.

So far, I am very pleased with this off-shoot of the Mark V. I welcome any comments, ideas or questions you all might have.

DangerDavey

MVC-017F.jpg

MVC-021F.jpg