Materials/process for crafting bios, armor, and gauntlets

C

Cyrax

I hate to poison the lair with so many questions, but-

What's the process for making bios? Any clay models involved?
Likewise, what are the CHEAPEST materials I could find to do this with?

Same question on gauntlets and armor. What materials and what processes for creating my OWN armor and gauntlets?

As with any Lair member, i'd like it to be sturdy and withstand a decent 'scuffing up'. Ugh...thoughts?

P

pirkleations

You really can't go wrong with oil-based clay, a plaster mold and a bit of liquid latex for a truly durable bit of armor.

You can pretty much sculpt any predator part in clay. I recommend an oil-based clay like Roma Plastalina or Van Aiken.

But you should definitely go with a silicone mold for a bio casting so that you can cast it in resin.

DangerDavey

C

Cyrax

Thanks Danger, but i've noticed that in a bunch of the finished pictures around the Lair, armor and gauntlets look more solid than if they were made out of latex. any other materials that might have been used? could the armor be done out of fiberglass so long as i refrained from a bunch of meticulous details?

Also, anyone have a ball-park price on silicone, plaster, or resin?

T

The Mortal Immortal

Most of all the bio and gaunts are made out of 2 part resin. Its about 75.00 a gallon for the a and b compound. Carlart's has a great pdf book listed on the lair, on how to make a silcone mold. Making the goods your self will involve some skill in sculpting and some cash!!!!

D

dacacheman1

Hey dude, im doing this myself too, everyone says to use these really expensive materials but I find taht using regular wal-mart play dough and wal mart silocone works fine for making the bio. Also for gloves, i saw a suit where the guy just painted his hands and put on fake black fingernails, looked fine. especially if your going to a costume contest ina club or something, you want to have some dexterity to hold your beer or pinch a few asses.

D

darkenism

thats what i did...if you get an airbrush you can make your hands look ultra reptile like...

284662977_l.jpg

M

MEANGENE83

24.63.3.23/gfsales/Sculpt...%20sculpt/
here is a link to pictures of a helmet i made. it has the molding pictures as well.

and this link is a step by step with materials list for molding a sculpt.
24.63.3.23/gfsales/TUTORI...TORIAL.rtf

you are also going to need one of these.

A sculpting armature, a place to use for attaching clay and to use as a general shape guide.
100_0891.jpg

100_0892.jpg

100_0894.jpg

100_0893.jpg

100_0558.jpg

here is a picture of my sculpt of my boar helmet. give ya an idea of what a sculpt looks like on an armature

100_0596.jpg

100_0600.jpg

here is a pic of the outer shell of the silicone mold i made for my boar helmet
100_0597.jpg

this pic above is the silicone mold seated in the plaster mothermold shell.

Hope this helps.

S

Syndril KorRonoth

youre like is broke on the tutorial, is it still assible.

K

kithunter

youre like is broke on the tutorial, is it still assible.
to translate......

your link is broken on the tutorial, is it still accessable?

welcome to the board Syndril KorRonoth .

S

Syndril KorRonoth

Wow, I did not notice that I messed up that bad. A great introduction to the forum. Thanks for translateing for me. Most people forget how to speak "noobish" after a while . Im glad I found this forum, It's sweet. I have found my new homepage.

Aquis Hydro

Blooded
Hey where can you get an armature? And is it possible to get one with a bio-mask already fitted (to use as a sculpt-base)?
Approx. cost would be useful too.