Mini P1 build ...

Red2

Blooded
Bravo on a great job. I guess now its your turn . lol
Thanks, guys!

Maybe, Vebo1. Though my short stature always prevented me from truly wanting to build a suit for myself, this experience has maybe swayed me a bit.
But from here I will prioritize learning to sculpt with clay! Taking a class this Spring.

I hope to finalize this suit, get the mini-xeno back up and running and take some AvP pics and hopefully get them out to a con.
 

Red2

Blooded
What did you use as the plasmacaster arm? Sorry if that's been asked already.
I found a toy fire truck at the thrift store that had a swiveling 2 part crane arm and robbed it off of there. There's pics earlier in the thread. Go to a couple thrift shops and check the toy section for a toy fire truck or crane toy, you're bound to find something similar.
 

Red2

Blooded
Build keeps going ...

So I picked up some Flex Foam 3 and alginate to familiarize myself with the process of making foam dreads.
The backer rod looks okay enough but she can't move her head very well, if at all, and you miss one of the characteristics of the dreads which is the trademark sway.

Got the hang of it and was able to pull about 11 pieces despite the alginate mold coming apart and shrinking. :)

Made a box out of EVA and hot glue. Shaved down a dowel and drilled some small holes to slide support wire (wire hanger) through.

48099955786_053bc5810d.jpg


Mixed alginate and poured in. It cures quickly, 8 - 10 minutes.

48099953931_21cd2244ca.jpg


Sliced the firm alginate evenly around.

48099955681_04ab421d2c.jpg


Followed the instructions for the foam. First pull was a dud but I figured out that the alginate sweats. Permanently. So you have to wipe down the mold before to combat some of that moisture. Again, not an ideal medium, but it gets the job done quickly.

48100056012_5628a4880c.jpg


An afternoons worth of pulls. I tested some PlastiDip on the first pull and it worked great. I guess I need to find out how people dye the foam prior to casting.

48100055587_b84ac51b5f.jpg


The alginate mold is kind of a short cut and I may have been able to pull several more but the air bubbles on the bottom portion of the mold started to create irregularities and when I left the top half of the mold on the bench, it shrunk more than the bottom.

I'm going to make a plaster mold next and try it with Flex Foam 5 the next go round.

Here's a pic of her with the Lone Star Hunters again this past weekend at the Greater Austin ComicCon. Fun times.

48100984663_ac3c936dc3.jpg
 

Red2

Blooded
Finished up our first attemp at DIY cold foam dreads. Semi-successful. About a third of the dreads ended up curing too stiff. The flex foam is really finicky and I finally realized later that less of part A makes a more dense and softer lock. The learning process was enjoyable (to a degree). Reading further I found a suggestion about a urethane alternative that's more consistent here on the site. I'll try that next.

Here's the before and after vids.


 
Top