molding latex

M

master hobbs

how do you make a mold for latex?

im molding latex dreds

P

pro predator

i think...
when you made you (armor piece, mask, hand or whatever) out of clay you need to put silicone all over it or fiberglass
i think fiberglass works better
so when the fiberglass is dry...
you split the hole fiberglass in two pieces
after that you get all the clay out of your fiberglass mold(or silicone)
then when it's all cleaned up...
you put the two pieces back together
you tape it together or what so ever
then you pick out a good bucket and fill it with latex
put the latex in the mold
turn it around and around that you are sure you got everything under latex in the inside of the mold
then you let the latex out in the bucket again
to this a several times and voila
you can do this until you have a thick enough layer
then you let it dry
when it's dry take of your mold
now you have a nice (mask,....)
the only thing now....
paint it and show off!!!
so guys??
you think i have learned?
i mean about molding stuff ^^ ^^
well if i made a mistake in this topic pls correct it

M

Maverick118

Using fibreglass to cast a latex piece isn't a good idea, not unless you are doing a foamed latex piece and have an oven to cure it in. By oven I mean a specificly designed one. If you do latex pieces such as predator armour the easiest and probably the cheapest route would be using plaster or gypsum. Here's a brief rundown of the proccess

1. sculpt your piece from either oil based clay or water based clay,

2. Seal the clay with crystal clear, this seals the clay and prevents the plaster from leaching the oil from the oil based clay (not a good thing) and moisture from water based clays (again not a good thing)

3. mix plaster, either a very hard alpha plaster such as Crystacal r or a gypsum stone like Ultracal 30, then apply to your sculpt. If it's a big piece you'll have to do a multi part mold (making dividing walls from clay or brass shims, I actually used heavy duty plastic coated playing cards for a bat cowl)
premoldcowl.jpg

4Once the mold is set, take the pieces apart, and carefully remove the clay.

5 Clean the molds

6 join the molds pieces together, and secure with bungee cord or heavy duty clips

7 pour the latex in the mold, 1 for a dwell fill the mold and leave until the latex is thick enough for your needs, then pour the excess out 2 for a slush cast piur in a moderate amount of latex and swill it about the mold and then pour it out, wait until the latex is dry and then repeat until the latex is thick.

8carefully remove your latex piece and coat with talcum powder and hang to dry out

9 Paint it

Sounds simple but it's not. Molding is an artform in itself.

molding tutorials

check these out you might find them helpful. Sorry if this is a bit brief but I'm in the middle of scuplting my own pred body suit at the moment and cmae on here for a bit of a break. Hope it helps

M

Maverick118

So you're making dreads, well it'll be basically the same way, only you might be able to get away with making a one piece box mold. You'll also need to sculpt several lengths and size of dread too as they vary in length as the go around the back of the head and in thickness too. But you won't be making solid latex dreads I take it, these will just be a skin that you will fill?

M

master hobbs

well,i planed to cut off the dreds on rubies mask, and mold them, because i can't find backer rod

M

Maverick118

Why not use foam rope, it comes in differing diameters and you can just cut the rope to length and coat in a few coats of latex. But if you're cutting the dreads of the mask why not use them? It'll save you a whole lot of hassle in the long run

M

master hobbs

that is what im going to do. there is 4 dreds, i need more, so i want to mold them, any sugesstions

L

lotsabellyfat

hey man i got the same mask. you want me to see if molding them in plaster is ok? ive got some ultra cal and some free time. ill just reply up here. if it works id just suggest buying some furniture foam but i gotta find something thatll hold the pieces together of the mold. you can cut the furniture foam into little pieces and stuff it inside the dreads, but you need something to stuff it in there with. the dreds on the mask are kinda short though.

L

lotsabellyfat

okay dude... i gotta wait for the plaster to set. ill send you pics of it too. but i gotta wait to get them developed. im using a cheap disposable camera and i havent used all the exposures yet. my mom wont go up town to get me any vaseline so i cant finish making the other half of the mold. sorry i dont have my license. i got schizo a few years ago but im all better now. i gotta see how itll pull out of the first half of the mold when i am finished to see how the second one will do. if you want i could make them for you if your willing to give a small donation at least for shipping but once i get the vaseline and see how it pulls out ill let you know. it should take about twenty or thirty maybe more minutes. i didnt let it soak too long but i think itll be okay. personally though, i would prefer longer dreads. you can sculpt them though if you have the clay.

L

lotsabellyfat

hey man i just pulled it out of the mold. plaster works fine.

M

master hobbs

i think if you told me how i will be able to make them.

but before i start i want to see those pics

L

lotsabellyfat

well all i did was mix up the ultra cal with water. i poured about maybe three fourths of an inch or so of water - im not sure how much though - and poured in the ultra cal 30 till some of it was over the water in the middle then i used my hand to mix it and poured more in where needed. i waited for the plaster to soak a few minutes then i took a piece of cardboard and slapped enough to cover a little around the dred then i pressed the dred into the plaster until it was about a half of the thickness or "roundness" of the dred. then i scraped part of the plaster off where the end of the dred comes out. i plan on putting them together and using that hole where ill pour in the latex, but i think it would have been better if i just put a piece of plastic in one side of the mold thats round on top of the dred while i put the plaster around it and used that half of the mold to pour the latex in. i did only get one half of the mold done though. i plan finishing the other later on. i tried to make keys... if you call them that.. lol.. on one side of the mold. for the other side of the mold mix the amount of water you think youll need with the plaster again and well i would wait for the first half of the mold to set and then i would do the other half but youll need vaseline to rub on to the first half of the mold before you make the second half because the halfs will stick together i think. then when youre done with that take out the dred and youre ready to pour in the latex. then wait a while till it gets however thick you want and put the foam in it and paint it. I hope i end up sculpting my own dreds. i dont know if this is important but ill find out: people use dividing walls between mold pieces. i thought itd be okay though not to and did it anyway. but i might be wrong. im new at this stuff anyway and did my first one piece mold today. anyway i hope this helps. later.