molding question

P

pro predator

well i did the front half off my head sculpt
on the site they say to do this:
get away the cards or clay wall and then rub vasiline on the side if the mould or the two parts will stick together
well here is my question

if i don't do the wall away and mould the other half off the head with the card wall in between? will this be good too?
i think it's a too big risc to get those two to each other
what if they bend?? then i'm screwed
well help me out?

thanks;

P

pro predator

oh forgot something here too
how long must the plaster dry when the final layer is on
i mean when can i get the two parts apart without breaking the hole mold

thanks;

M

Maverick118

The reason you remove the cards (shims) or the clay wall and coat the dividing line between the two halves in vaseline, is to reduce the mold line, and get the mold halves fitting together as tightly as poss to prevent any seepage. if it seeps you will end up with a very visible mold line and a lot of excess latex flashing which can be a bugger to cut down so the mild line is barely visible. You could mold the two halves as you've said and leave the cards, but personally I would hate to have gone to the trouble of sculpting that and molding it only to find the two halves don't fit quite right. Just my two penneth, at the end of the day it's your mold, and you're still learning. You should be able to pry the mold halves apart when they are touch dry (well that's my experience, and probably why only a few of my molds stay intact) But you will have to leave them to parch out after removing the clay and cleaning the molds. Leaving it for a week will dry the plaster thoroughly so that it absorbs moisture from the latex much quicker. Hope this helps, believe me molds are an art in themsleves, best of luck

P

pro predator

hi well thanks to tell me that
i'll do it your way then ^^

P

pro predator

well the molds are finished
they tell me here on a website to let it dry for 2 weeks
after drying i can pour the latex

advise pls?

M

Maverick118

Two weeks sounds like an awfully long time. But if it's website that uses the same sort of plaster then I'd go with the recommendation. I usually leave it for a week to parch completely then do a pour. Your big choice now will be whether you do a dwell with the latex (pouring the latex into the mold to the top and leaving for a while until the latex is at the desired thickness) or a slush cast (pouring a little bit of latex in the mold then swilling it about until the interior is completely covered then pouring the rest out, and then leaving to dry and repeating the same steps until it's at the thickness you want) Both are good but I seem to get a bit less shrinkage when I slush. Do a bit more reading up on it and you can make an informed decision