My attempt at a Scar helmet :)

D

Don Jarr

Hi all

As mentioned in one of the other threads I would post pictures of my Scar mask I am making.

No offence to anyone that has made one, as any mask someone has made is good, but I couldn’t find one that was a proper Scar mask. There were several of pred 1, with a few changes but none that matched the Scar one closely, so I decided to have a go and make one myself.

I have a bit of experience with sculpting, but that’s mainly car stuff, but I applied the same technique to making my mask. Unlike most sculpting people I am used to making things in sections, so I made the top of the helmet and the facemask bits separately, then mounted them on a frame and started filling in the eye sections. I sculpted them in clay first them cast them in fibreglass, and done final cleaning up work on the hard version not the clay version. Like this I have a solid item to work with, that can be handled easily and you can add and sand off tiny sections at a time. Also by doing it this way I only perfect one half first then duplicate measurements and dimensions on to the second half and I’ve found it’s much easier to get it symmetrical.

As you can see from the three pictures, it is nearly done, but still a good few hours left until its finished.

mymaska.jpg

Pic A: This shows the front view. To get this as correct as I could, I had over 100 stills of every angle from the film, which I used for reference and to make sure it looked as like the film one as I could get it. The hardest thing on the face mask was getting the sides right, as its very hard to gauge the depth of the recesses from flat pictures, but by feeding dozens of pictures into CAD software and cross referencing angles and sizes so I think, (Fingers crossed,) they are as close as I can get them.

mymaskb.jpg

Pic B: This shows what I mean by doing one half first. You can just make out the measurements on each side. Admission time now, as one side is 2mm off centre compared to the other side, but so far nobody has spotted this, or could even see it when pointed out. The line drawn down the middle of each item was placed there for alignment, which is done using a line laser. Its just much easier, as you can line it up then rotate the helmet and check each side is where it should be. When it’s as straight as it can be, the wooden frame is glued into place to hold it there.

mymaskc.jpg

Pic C: This is actually a new picture taken tonight, as I just finished the section where the air tubes go. With it held in place by the frame, I just had to extrapolate from the stills the dimensions of the little recess and duplicate it onto the helmet. The recess was actually made separately as a reverse bulge then cast to be the right way round. It was then fixed into position and filler added and sanded until it looked ok. It doesn’t really show to well on the picture, but the top of the recess (cream bit) is deeper than the bottom bit, (pink filler) as the air tube assmebly on the film one looks like it sits in a slight recess. I have to finish off the eye section, and add the rim, which I won’t know exactly where it should be until the eyes are done and I can take measurements to get it in the right place. The air tube assembly is in the mould drying at the mo and will be added later. I used some rubber slotted pipe, and turned on a lathe the cylinder bit the air tubes go into. It was they just a case of getting the whole thing to fit nicely and casting it. My favourite bit is the lower air socket, which is actually a pen top, with plastericine filling every other slot, then moulded in silicon and a cast taken. It came out better than I hoped, as I was having trouble finding anything that matched. Hopefully it should be done in a couple of weeks, real work permitting.

I will just point out there will be slight differences from the real film one, and I’m not claiming it is a precise replica. There will be always be bits that I miss or can’t see on a still well enough to get right, so please bear this in mind.

Thanks for looking

Don

S

Savage Yautja

Amazing attention to detail, this bio helmet is gonna rock! Looks excellent!

MEANGENE83

Hunter
Hats off to you man!

This is by far the most strangest way i have ever seen a bio being made. BUT this looks promising. Its gonna kick ass i know it!!!

GENE

D

Don Jarr

I know it looks a bit of an odd way to do it, but as I make stuff this way all the time, its normal to me. Nine out of ten times, I even it up by just running my hands over a certain section on each side and gauge differances in the surface of each side with each hand. You can't do this in clay the same as its not super smooth. Then draw a ring round the odd bit, marking it high or low, then its just a case of either sanding a bit, or adding a bit of filler.

Anyway today, I filled in the left eye, and finished off the air tube bit. Now I am starting on the tri laser housing, which hopefully should be done over the long weekend.

Don

J

jax1212

Wow. Thats cool. Your attention to the detail is amazing. I can't wait to see the next pics!!!

J

JDboy7

This is a very cool start, and it seemd your anal-ness rivals mine, lol!!!

D

Don Jarr

Hi all

heres a couple more pictures, as it looks a bit more pred helmet now.

mymaskd.jpg

This shows the eye socket in place and the air tube assmelbe fresh from the mould where it will go. You can also just make out the scar on the top.

mymaske.jpg

This is just a close up of the air tube bit. its not quite the same as in the film, as that one is only half showing, but its easier to do this way.

I have nearly finished the tri laser mount, its just in the finishing off stages and checking to see if it looks ok. When thats done, i will start on the rim.

Don

D

Don Jarr

I thought the tube looked better too, it has a cleaner more defined look about it, but it’s nice if other think so to.

Also I just want to say, if anyone thinks something looks odd, or wrong, do say so I can sort it out.

Like today I was working on the tri laser housing, and my dad comes along and looks at my sheets of stills from the film and said I had it pointing down a bit to much, and it would look better angled up a bit. I tried it and he was right, it does look better. It was partly I had it a bit low anyway, and adding just a tiny bit more height angle made it look much better.

So if you think something looks wrong just say. I might never post here again, (lol) but at least the helmet will look better.

Don

T

TK3467

Damn dude that is coming along very nicely. I want one. *makes puppy dog eyes LOL

B

Brin Londo

If there should ever be an interest list for these, please color me interested.
Great work!
-Brin

V

vincentmanuel

yeh count me in too dude that looks awesome

i dunno something bout the scar... its not quite P1... seems a lil fatter or something....

if you ever choose to make a few available im seriously interested... i have 8 slots in my glass cabinets... 4 bios fill 4 of them... need 4 more

D

Don Jarr

Hi all

First off if you are interest e-mail and I will add to the list of people wanting info when done.

Three more pictures taken tonight after work:

mymask3.jpg

mymask2.jpg

mymask1.jpg

Vince m8, if you can explain more what you mean in a bit more detail it would be helpful.

The actual scar on that was lifted off a still from the film, enlarged to scale on cad software, highlighted and drawn round, then printed off on a carbon backed sheet of paper then redrawn onto the helmet, then engrave out.

Have a look at the new front on picture, as the other was off side, and see what you think. It still doesn't show to well, so if you still think it looks wrong, I will take a close up head on and let you have a look at that. If it still looks wrong then, let me know where and how, as its at this stage its easy to alter, where once a mould has been taken its fixed.

Anybody else thinks its looks funny please say. I don’t mind.

Don

V

vincentmanuel

don i think you misunderstood what i said...

i mean in every way, your bio looks SPOT on... other people assume scar is simply a P1 with engraving... totally not the case... scar is far from P1... its much flatter and fatter looking... which to me is totally different... similar features and general design yes, but dimensions NO...

don your scar is immaculate to say the least, i LOVE IT

S

Shadow predator

I like your attempt, but I think, since you have the skill there, clearly, you can try to give it more character, a little more edge and personality so to speak. It looks a bit flat now, if you know what I mean...

D

Don Jarr

Shadow m8

In terms of character and flat, do you mean in general or as it looks now. As it is, it still has to have the rim added, where in the picture you can see where I started to draw the line in, which will be raised from the main helmet. I also have a few tweaks to do, as there is a slight concave in the front flat of the nose section, which is only visible at certain angles in the film. Then it will be primed and readied for the hammer effect to be added, prior to a mould being taken.

I was trying to keep this as close to the film one as I can. When it’s done, I will take a cast to use for the base of my own elder mask, which as it’s my own design, will be far more elaborate and detailed. It will resemble this slightly, but most of the cheek sections will be changed, as will the nose, and top of the helmet. It will also have more engraving round the top bit. It will be done in nickel-plated effect resin, with bronze, and polished copper, detail work and engraving. With my own one, I won’t be constrained by what has already be done, so I can be far more creative.

Anyway let me know in more detail what you meant, as feedback of any kind is always good.

Don