My first Predator Costume

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by Dillonusob, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

So the bio Is coming along nicely, and the mold will be stared tonight or tomorrow. Was attempting to make the latex hands in my resin molds, but failed in that they were not drying properly. Read afterwards that plaster helps latex cure due to its water absorbing properties. Doh. After the bio is molded, Gonna try to make plaster molds of the hands instead. Gonna re-claim the monster clay from the bio, melt it to re-pour my monster clay into the resin molds so I can add to the hand sculpts to size them up for the shrinkage of the latex. These hands will be the death of me. Fail fail fail. On the bright side, I am extremely happy about the bios look, and am almost there with the sculpt. Will update when finished!

2. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Also, how long is cure time for latex when using ultracal as a mold medium?

3. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Never thought the bio would be this difficult. Inching closer...

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  4. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

So I originally intended for this bio to be the P1 bio, however in going back over photos and video, it is definitely not lol. Does not have the "girth" of the original and is definitely slimmed down a bit. Which is fine. I am pretty content with it being my own stylized bio. With any luck, I will have pics up soon of the finished bio prior to molding.

5. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Aaaaaand...changed my mind back to the P1 bio, or as close as I can get to it. Think I need to angle the eyes down a little...thoughts???

IMG_4507.JPG

Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  6. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Almost done. Gonna refine a bit and quit. Feel like if I keep at it, Im gonna start changing it again. About as close to the P1 as I am going to get on my first bio.

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

7. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Can i put here my 5 cents? Before you started next step, answer to me - is it wrong light around your mask or this parts are really different? because it can be a waisting of material. It is better to fix it on this stage.

IMG_4510.JPG

8. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Im pretty sure its my basement light there is only one light, and it is behind the bio on the ceiling to the right. Pretty sure its odd lighting. Its pretty symmetrical, however, I find that taking a break and coming back its easier to spot inconsistencies that were missed. So I may find more changes needed later tonight. And I will check that stuff for sure!! Thanks Jmen!! Also, do you guys leave the sights open for a separate sculpt of the laser housing? I have lasers, figure it will be waaaay easier to add it later after calibrating the housing for the lasers. My bio is not perfect, but it beats my old one. I will post a pic of the old one later.

Jmen likes this.
  9. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Nice work! Especially for your first bio!

Dillonusob and Jmen like this.
  10. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Started the silicone inner mold.

IMG_4516.JPG

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

11. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Im pretty sure my angles arent exact, and there were still a bunch of "carve depressions", but I was very happy with my final sculpt. Doesnt hold a candle to the masters here, but its all mine!! :) needed the monster clay also to re-sculpt the hands to accommodate the latex shrinkage :)

12. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

I was particularly happy with this little bit. I cleaned it up more, but didnt snap a pic...

IMG_4512.JPG

Jmen likes this.
  13. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Bubbles+needle=no bubbles:D

Dillonusob likes this.
  14. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Question guys, any problems demolding bios due to their shape? What I mean is after the plaster outer mold is on, as it is solid, does it ever "lock" the bio in?

LunaticNic likes this.
  15. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

It might depending if you used enough silicone. The silicone should be thick enough that the outer mold is essentially bowl shaped

Dillonusob likes this.
  16. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Also, I will be blocking out the eyes- that could definitely lock in the mold!!! ;)

LunaticNic likes this.
  17. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Thin shell test pull of my bio. So psyched that the undercut at the tube worked out. Gonna do some casts tonight with the proper thickness. Man, what a relief!!! ;)

IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

Isubomo, LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  18. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Gonna do some sanding and tooling as well, to see if I can smooth out some spots. Not too much though, as I want it to look battle worn.

Jmen likes this.
  19. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Dillonusob likes this.
  20. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Thanks bud!! I know I can do better than I did, and I think it shows a bit that I rushed things. I even forgot the tube mount on the Right lower jaw corner. I was too excited ;) cant wait to do some decent pulls tonight and start tooling them for painting

21. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

A plus side is that I have the shape to work off of for future bios. I could melt some monster clay, coat it and start from there. Man I am psyched!!!

22. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Reccomendations on resin brands for durable bios? I have some fabri-cast and some model-pro resins, but interested in more durable stuff....

LunaticNic likes this.
  23. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

So, after a couple of casts, I have realized that I needed to bring the edges of the silicone mold down into the bio more than I did. So, what I may do is do a resculpt, and re-mold or I may try to salvage this mold by adding more edging to it. Not so sure it will work, but it wont take too much more silicone....

LunaticNic likes this.
  24. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Well, got some casts, but none are as good as I envisioned. It is such a pain to get the resin to stay where you want it...any tips? Like how much do you undercut the silicone? I am pretty sure I fucked that part up. And I did not ho thick enough. So, its waiting time till I can afford more molding/casting materials. :( Here are the casts along side the one I had bought. One thing is definite, I love my design way more than the one I bought.

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

LunaticNic and Isubomo like this.
  25. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

Looks great to me Dillon! :D Congrats! :D

Just my 2 cents...if you don't mind.. I know you're getting frustrated some times when things don't go the way you plan them, but nothing wrong with all your creative work, you're killing it in that dept.,..just remember to breathe though, okay? :D

and have fun!!! :D

Dillonusob and LunaticNic like this.