My Fun Foam shoulder and chest armor... *early stages*

N

neonstorm7

Hey guys (and gals) it's really starting to crank along now. I'm almost finished with the first shoulder armor, and have started on my chest armor.

What do you guys think? These pics are obviously still unpainted, and the chest has ALOT more detail to add. Plus a few more pieces to add to the chest; this is the piece that wraps around the ribs. I'm still working on the part that'll go over the shoulder.

I know I've got a ways to go before I reach RaptorArts' foam costumes or Maverick's cannon and backpack, but hey for a first try not too bad, eh? Is the 'damage' a little to much? I wanted it to look kinda beat on.

Honest opinions. Like Eastwood: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Oh yeah, no cracks about the marker lines either OK?

Predator011Small.jpg

Predator013Small.jpg

Predator012Small.jpg

M

MAG7 Tiger Claw

That is coming along really good m8. I'm not sure how ya created the damage effects without paint, but they look pretty damn good...

Don't ya just love that foam material? It's the bomb for sure... Keep up the great work.

TiGeR

N

neonstorm7

Thanks for the input man. Fun Foam is awesome! I laid the first coat of paint on the shoulder armor this morning just to see how it would look, and it's pretty sweet!

I'm gonna be a busy guy for a couple days getting this done. Next on my list: the dreaded dreads! Backer rod here I come.

Ryan

M

Maverick118

That's some seriously good work there. Thanks for the compliment, but having seen my armour on for the first time on Sunday, I have a lot of work to do as it looks completely s**t (it's the perfectionist in me) as it needs the straps moving and....yadda yadda.

Anyway,love the battle damage, now spill the beans and tell us how it's done any help needed along the way just PM me and I'll try and sort you out. But it seriously looks like it's shaping up quite nicely. Keep at it and more pics

N

neonstorm7

Thanks for ther compliment man. I'll prolly have a couple questions for you later on tonight or tomorrow, I'll PM you. I'm OK at getting the curves and stuff, but the small details you put into your work is unbelievable. I'd appreciate a few pointers on how you get such fine detail.

As far as the damage goes... My secret? A hot soldering iron works wonders.

I used it around the edges to get rid of the clean cut look. I laid the body (not the tip) of it down and quickly drug it across the foam to get the burn marks/cracks. Rub the tip in quick circles to make the dents, then go slower in the center. The longer you circle an area the deeper the dent gets (just don't go all the way thru!) I am gonna try backing with a second layer of foam to make deeper damage.

I tried to alter the depth to give it a more realistic surface instead of a perfect dent. Then drag the tip away from the dents to make the cracks.

The biggest thing I learned is to vary the depths of the 'damage', shallow around the edges and deeper in the middle.

The tip of the iron also makes great small dents, dimples, and cracks.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Ryan

M

Maverick118

The detailing I do is quite simply been forced out of the neccessity of not having 6mm fun foam available. I have to layer seperate sheets together. But it does mean that as with the cannon rear, I can cut out small details like the square holes around the edge and then mount that layer atop another, thus giving the appearence that it's carved or machined. the other thing I use is a an old Biro (no not a joke) that has run out of ink and where I've marked out in dark pencil, the details like the concentric circles, I score them with the biro that gives them a smoother look but still gives the groove the depth that I am looking for. The other thing I did for the cannon is a new technique I lifted from carpentry. With it having so many sqaure edges, I needed some way of making the edges of each piece of foam blend together leaving little of a seam showing. So I cut out the outer layer, and on the inside I glue in several more layers, but the edges are 2mm smaller. This means when the edged butt together they apear very smooth. It's like a dovetail joint in a way. I also add plastic card or wire mesh between layers depending on how rigid the piece needs to be. Hope this helps mate, and as I said any questions just fire away, and if I can I'll help in any way I can.

N

neonstorm7

Maverick, I have some of the 6mm foam. I have pretty easy access to it (the craft store down the road) but they don't have it in all the lovely colors you used on your cannon.

j/k

Let me know if I can help you out.

Ryan

M

Maverick118

Oh nice one my friend, very generous. But unfortunately I live in the UK, hence the scarcity of the 6mm fun foam. I can though get my hands on plastezote which is what the Cosplayer use for thier Anime costumes, which I can add a layer of fun foam to (plastezote is opne celled not closed like fun foam) and then it's easier to coat in latexasa doesn't soak as much of it up. Thanks though very appreciated.