My own design Plasma caster, (finshed pics added)

D

Don Jarr

Hi all

As I was getting bored doing copies of film stuff, and the P2 disc mould was setting so not much to do, I had a go at a plasma caster. I have sort of taken aspects from the different films and then added my own touch to it. Its half done, and I have the round back bit still on the milling bed, but I was just trying to get some nice crisp detail into it. The detail is actually bits of model kits I took a cast of, and then duplicated them so I had enough. Some people will say that’s cheating, but I can’t sculpt that well, so I do what I know how to do best, which is mould stuff. So far I am quite happy with it, especially as it’s only about two days work in total.

Also what I wanted to know was anybody with a costume with plasma caster on, how does it fix on. I will make an articulated arm for this, but I wondered how they were fixed to the suit.

cannonb.jpg

cannona.jpg

Don

J

JAILER1955

I think that it looks snazy. I mean that it looks super. People hate it when I use technical words. I would like to see more of it...literally, front to back, top to bottom.

D

Don Jarr

The rear end isn't finished yet and it ends in an unlathed stump of resin, while the rear round bit is only half a side, (make one side them mould it to get two, saves laods of time.)

I will post more pictures tomorrow when i have done a bit more.

Don

P

pirkleations

Nice work so far, Don!! I think that having such individual weaponry for our Hunter characters adds to the overall unique nature of the Yautja race. No two humans wear the same clothing, right?

DangerDavey

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Don,
WOW! That's impressive! I, too, would love top see many more pictures of this sucker! If the back half is going to be anything like the front... *drool*

D

Don Jarr

It will look less lightsaber like with the round back section on, but the one I made looked to big on it, so will use that on the larger version, and make a smaller one for this one.

Don

C

carlart

Off to a great start. I like the execution and fine detail.
carlart

D

Don Jarr

Here are a few pictures of the bits so far.

The first picture shows all the bits I have made so far. The rear of the cannon still has to have some fine detail added, and the customary length of model tank track on the topside. I have made the top joint for the movable mount, and still have to make the short arm, and base plate, so it can be fitted to a suit.

The second picture shows roughly how it will look. As I said it will have some more fine detail, and the normal pipes running from the cannon to the baseplate.

cannonbits.jpg

cannonheld.jpg

Don

M

MEANGENE83

Neato!

Did ya sculpt this or carve it or what?

Cuz it looks flawless.

P

Praetorian Hunter

Hey man, u did a great job on that bro. good stuff man.

Praetor Fenix

D

Don Jarr

Most of it is done on a manually operate lathe and milling machine. The finer detail is casts of odd bits of model kit, but there is always finer detail done by hand.

I know some people do truly amazing sculpting work on here, but my sculpting skills are only average, so instead of doing a bodge and hand sculpting it, I decided as there is very little I can’t do on these machines, I’d stick with what I do best.

Also doing this has been great fun, as its not a replica of a film used one, only a variation on all of them, you can let your imagination go. If you cut to deep or wide, it doesn’t matter, as your not trying to copy a film used one.

When this is done, I will have a go at a larger model, with its own tri laser housing on the side like the one seen at the end of P2.

Don

J

JAILER1955

It's looking great. Don't forget to send pictures to Predfan

M

MAG7 Tiger Claw

I’d stick with what I do best.
I don't think anybody will disagree here. Your skills using this method are yielding a very promising popgun that looks fantastic............

TiGeR

D

Don Jarr

Hi again all

This is just about done now, with the exception of the plasma emitter bit that’s in the barrel, which I still have to do. (One of those bits you won't see unless you peer down the barrel, but I wanted to add it anyway.)

I have included pictures from all angles. The mounting arm does move up and down, and there will also be an additional plate to fix it to a backpack to allow it to swivel as well.

The black bit on the rear section will be covered when finished, but to keep the weight down, the back most section and part of the barrel will have a foam core, so its not one thick block of resin.

cannon1a.jpg

cannon1b.jpg

cannon1c.jpg

cannon1d.jpg

cannon1e.jpg

Don

S

Savage Yautja

Don that's an awesome job on this cannon. Looks good enough for the next movie. You gonna make more of these?

D

Don Jarr

Hi m8

I plan to, I just have the inner barrel bit to make, and then the checking over and fussing about it, to make sure its as good as I can get it.

Don

F

fantazar

That is simply amazing Don and I reckon you should give us all one to try out

Great stuff!
Keep it up m8

D

Don Jarr

Well if you are all good little boys and girls, who knows what might crop up nearer christmas

Don