My very first Predator mask paint project...Update 9/14/06

P

pirkleations

Hey everyone!!!

I'm working on a commission to do a fully complete finishing of one of my Ancient One Elder masks for a customer.

I'll be doing everything to it. Dreds, rings, quills, eyes, Tribal Teeth, beads...the whole nine yards. Even the paint will be done in the most flexible, durable mediums. I've got the prosaide, pro-adhesive, Permawet and colors on hand and ready to roll.

Now, since this is my very first paint-up of any Predator mask, I was a bit aprehensive about taking paint to it. But, now, after seeing the first couple of color layers go on, I am stoked!! Even with the base colors down, it is looking really good!!! As it turns out, painting a Predator mask is not unlike painting one of my monster or zombie masks.

And, although it is far from completion, I wanted to show off the first stages of my paint-up.

Enjoy!!

DPElderpaint01.jpg

DPElderpaint03.jpg

DPElderpaint04.jpg

DangerDavey

A

alphatech686

Keep the photos coming. It's always fun to see a work in progress.

S

Shadow predator

tip for the next set of photo's: use a small mirror in front of the flash, tilt it about 45 degrees, so the flash bounces towards the ceiling. This will reduce the overlit effect seen in these photo's, and will provide a more overall lighting.

But that's just about these photo's, paint looks alright as a basis

P

pirkleations

I've got another couple of color layers done on my Elder now. A medium-brown and a dark-brown. I'm trying not to use any black at all to keep the colors rich and deep, but not overwhelming or artificial-looking.

DPElderpaint011.jpg

DPElderpaint012.jpg

I've still got a few layers of painting to do before I go for any veining or spots. But I think it's coming along nicely and my client will be very pleased with the results. Plus, I'm learning a lot about translucent color layering to add depth to the skin.

Thanks for the tip, Shadow. I was able to capture the actual colors a bit better in thses shots.

More pictures to come soon...

DangerDavey

T

The Xcalibor

I really like it Dave,

Its looking very natural and deep already, Keep up the good work brutha!!!

KEITH

S

Shadow predator

Very nice as a base. Take your time man, and test some paterns apart from the mask to see what you like best.

P

pirkleations

Here are the latest pics of the mask in progress.

I've got it almost to where I am happy with the skin. I'll likely be doing a very light wash of grey to age him a bit more. But, other than that, I just need to do the inside of the mouth and then I can start on the quills and dreds.

DPElderspots01.jpg

DPElderspots02.jpg

Enjoy!!

DangerDavey

P

PredatoRob

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh! Dave I really like the paintjob! He looks very old and crotchety. Nice layering, and the spots look really good too! Kudos to a job well done!!

Are you gonna make up a set of dredlocks for it? Neck ring?

Curmdgeon!!

P

pirkleations

Rob,

I've got 64 tapered dreds waiting to be finished, a couple dozen dred rings cast, hundreds of quills in various shades of grey and ivory, the teeth painted and aged, but I'll have to sculpt a neck ring for him and then make a mold for doing a latex one.

It's pretty much the most complex mask project I've ever done since my first Predator mask back in 1993.

DangerDavey

P

pirkleations

Okay...I think I'm pretty much done with the tough part.

Here are pics of the mask with the teeth in. I'll be working on the dreds and quills next.

DPElderpaintfinished01.jpg

DPElderpaintfinished02.jpg

DPElderpaintfinished05.jpg

~DangerDavey

T

The Xcalibor

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

That is one, mean looking, SOB. I love it, great job both of you. Can't wait to see it with everything on it.

KEITH

P

pirkleations

Thanks, Keith!

He's a crotchety old sumbitch that eats Aliens for breakfast.
I think he should brush his teeth more often though.

~DangerDavey

K

kithunter

man he is wicked looking, Awesome awesome job on him pirk

AM

P

pirkleations

It's starting to come together now that I've been test-fitting the dreds. The contact cement that I am going to use for attaching the dreds may not work well enough. Super Glue does not work at all in my tests.

So I may go with Goop, if it comes in a clear formula.

Here are a couple of pictures of the mask with most of the dreds test-fitted into place. We Predator costumers can sure tell the difference between the backer rod dreds and foam latex dreds!! Mine looks like he has been shocked with static electricity!!

Comments, questions and suggestions welcome!!

~DangerDavey

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JediUsurper

He looks uber evill with all darker colours, a nice change imo.

P

pirkleations

Hey everyone!

Yeah. It's me again.

I've begun plugging away at the quills. Quite a time-consuming project there!!
I've got 44 quills implanted so far. My customer wants many more than the traditional Elder, so I'm going wild on it.

After they are all installed, I will be tinting some of them ever-so-slightly with a bit of brown and ivory to fit the color scheme a bit better.

DPElderquills01.jpg

~DangerDavey

B

blk n blu dream

Sorry, I'm a bit slow apparently. LOL

Any completed pics?

P

pirkleations

Jill,

It's still in progress. Longest mask project I've ever done!!

I'm to the point where I am working on the mask and dred danglies. Thanks for asking!!

~DangerDavey

elderquills.jpg

elderbeads01-1.jpg

elderbeadstrands.jpg