Narin Hellbreed

Discussion in 'Predator Models, Statues and Figures' started by John Hircock, May 22, 2015.

1. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Hi Everyone

Finally got around to shooting some paint on this bad * kit. Still lots of work to do on the Predator.

John

IMG_2111_2.jpg IMG_2112.jpg

LunaticNic, Maniak and Justin like this.
  2. nokk1

nokk1 Unblooded

so far so good. I like what you did to the alien.

John Hircock likes this.
  3. Lone hunter

Lone hunter Blooded

Would you so kind as to explain the process for the Alien please? I just cant get that effect on mine no matter how hard I try

John Hircock likes this.
  4. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

5. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Lone hunter
    Base coat Tamiya buff then seal with dull coat. Walnut wood stain applied in small areas with a brush then wiped off with cloth rag. This leaves the stain in all the resesed detail and provides you good dark to light contrast. Dry brush with liquitex Unbleached titanium. dry throughly. Airbrush and mottle shadows and skin areas with FW Artists ink in Sepia. Mottle again with tamiya medium blue mixed with clear.
    Punch in deep shadow Areas with FW Artist ink in Black. Hi light with a bit of I bleached liquitex titanium by light dry brush or fine point detail brush. Once complete let dry throughly and spray with micro mark or equivalent water based flat coat. Flat laquor can make fine airbrush work run. Take your time and push for detail. You spend good money on a great kit, give it the time it deserves. Any questions just ask.

John

6. pred666pain666

pred666pain666 Elite Hunter

Alien is superbly done

John Hircock likes this.
  7. Lone hunter

Lone hunter Blooded

John your a gentleman, can't thank you enough. I ordered some FW ink yesterday as I cant get the effect with the inks Im using so hopefully I can have yet another go at my Alien this week. Your blending in around the mouth area is superb. I try to blend mine but the colors are never subtle no matter how many light coats I apply. As from your explaination on the skin its obvious now that Im missing a few steps.

Look forward to more pics..........and probably loads more questions. :0)

John Hircock likes this.
  8. Erwin

Erwin Blooded

looks great John

9. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Thanks for the comments Fellas. I lightly airbrush Citadel baal red into the mouth after cutting it with a bit of water. I try and keep it light near the front and spray a bit more heavy towards the back of the mouth. I also use a little Baal red straight out of the bottle to darken the back of the mouth. The deep shadows in the mouth are a result of the wood stain process from earlier. the teeth are painted with citadel boltgun metal and hi lighted with citadel mitheral silver, then shaded at the base with the Sepia ink to to blend them a bit. Keep in mind these are just a few of the colours and techniques i have learned over the years from the model mania DVD's, Kitbuilders magazine (RIP) and AFM. I also check out the colours and styles of Joe Dunaways build ups on his website for some inspiration when i hit a wall trying to move a project forward.

10. Justin

Justin Blooded

Always good to see you back in the game, John!

John Hircock likes this.
  11. antonio

antonio Blooded

ke I think this kit is fantastic . I do not want imaguinar when finished .

(y)

John Hircock likes this.
  12. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Used some fishing line and some epoxy to add some mouth detail. a good coat of Tamiya gloss as well.
    Went with basic dark to light on the water base. Now on to the Pred. IMG_2151_2.jpg IMG_2148.jpg

Maniak and paitan like this.
  13. Justin

Justin Blooded

I'm not recreating the tendons on the jaws, but I've been planning on using fishing line and epoxy to create tons of drool and nasty strings of saliva all over the mouth. It's looking good, John! What direction are you going with the Pred?

14. MikaPred2

MikaPred2 Young Blood

This looks absolutely stunning!

John Hircock likes this.
  15. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Hi Everyone
    Loaded the gun and shot some paint the last few nights. Base coated the Pred with a bronse fleshtone and hi lighted with a lighter colour. i've started to shade the basic flesh tone with Tamiya Hull Red mixed with Flat Earth and some Tamiya clear. This is cut with Tamiya thinner and is lightly sprayed into the recesses and mottled on the flesh. You can see in the pics the torso coming to life against the raised arm. This is a fun up close technique that i really enjoy. I'll fiddle about with this going back and forth between hi light and shadow colours until i have a nice broken skin tone to then add the patterns. I take a while to do this part as i think it effects the overall look of the piece. If you see some spatter in the pics its because i shot for about an hour before noticing the crown cap on my gun was loose. Cheers.
    IMG_2156_2.jpg IMG_2157_2.jpg

paitan likes this.
  16. Justin

Justin Blooded

John, do you prime your figures? Or are the pics just playing tricks on me? Cuz I'd swear the armor bits look unprimed.

17. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Whole kit is primed Justin.

18. Justin

Justin Blooded

Lol, Maybe I DO need some of them jeweler's visors or something... ;) Looking forward to seeing more, as usual!

19. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

I see now. I prime just not that well. A light dusting is pretty much all you need though, a bit of tooth to hold the paint.
    You can order the visor through Micro Mark Justin........Lol!

Justin likes this.
  20. Lone hunter

Lone hunter Blooded

Love the updates and grateful for you sharing the techniques your using. I only went and misread the first part and painted the whole Alien in wood stain.....ah crap. luckily I used an old Alien kit to try it but at least I can see how the effect is acheived now.

Anyone want to buy an oak stained Alien?

21. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Oven cleaner will strip it off so you can start fresh.

22. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Hi Everyone
    Been busy with work and life however made a little more progress on the Predator. I've been punching in all the details and should be ready for patterns this coming week.

IMG_2165_2.jpg

IMG_2167_2.JPG

LunaticNic, Justin and paitan like this.
  23. Justin

Justin Blooded

Looks awesome, John! The technique produces awesome results! I'll have to give it a go...

Did you apply a stain to the head to draw out the details?

24. John Hircock

John Hircock Blooded

Hey Justin,
    All the head detail was airbrushed or fine point detail brushed using the shadow colour.
    I did go back over some spots with either the base coat or hi light colour as well.

Justin likes this.
  25. michael2

michael2 Blooded

Looks very god so far.
    This will be also my next Project.

Justin likes this.