Neca 1/4 Predator 2 Repaint In Progress

Discussion in 'Predator Models, Statues and Figures' started by AliceTyson, Feb 3, 2014.

1. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

I've posted this in a few other places, but since here seems to be the premier site for all things predator, I'll put it here as well.  First time painting anything other than model cars.  Never painted anything with flesh, much less a predator, so go easy on me.

Nowhere near done.  Still tons of layers of paint to go.

Working on resculpting the helmet of my P2. Quite a few tweaks like raising the cheeks, lowering the brow, adjusting the inclination of the nose bridge, resculpting the sides of the crown etc. Just whatever I can think of to give it that more squat, fat look it had in the movie as opposed to the tall and skinny look it has on the figure.

Sanded down the texture as well. Just too much texture for my taste. It'll still have some texture when I'm done. Just not nearly as deep and rough.

2969E927-3050-40B7-84BA-7EE1D753F8E8-6546-0000089ECC4446E8_zps847264a9.jpg

664FB67E-96BB-4963-9B1C-0190DEA2DCA0-6546-0000089EBFF5F66D_zpscd08ca9c.jpg

Almost there.

EAD70DBB-518C-4C24-A27D-1C585E50826E-7567-00000A5874F016C7_zps16c44118.jpg

Here's one with some fishnet stocking I was testing for the net, but it doesn't look good.  Couldn't get the baggy look like it has on film, so I decided to make my own later.

7C7AA183-BCC3-474C-BB92-92A33525435D-8244-00000B54CEFDEAA6_zps2d1f785d.jpg

null_zps90748037.jpg

001_zps3e9e24b5.jpg

003_zps8d2302df.jpg

002_zps6c1625de.jpg

null_zps8a46c75c.jpg

Here's one in a bit of natural light. I can't seem to get a perfect pic, but the tint is a bit darker to the naked eye, and the coppery bits only really appear when you're looking at it head on. As the head rotates the copper shimmers and disappears as it does on the movie helmet i.e. the copper only shows through heavily when light hits it straight on. Any part that's not being hit by light looks like the dark, blackish brown. So it's a bit reactive to light instead of being a straight, static copper or brown.

current_zpsc60f1c69.jpg

7baec804-5a85-49a5-9014-4b0a560e47b5_zps562a9700.jpg

Found some nice mesh that, once painted properly, will be perfect.

456828FF-7250-40E5-A764-CDEF639FEF94-12756-000011C5FCD6A3C5_zps135451af.jpg

I also painted one of the hands.  Still a tweak or two and a clear coat and it'll be done.  20+ hours just on the hand.

1606895_680752855280931_550335860_n_zps1db6ef7d.jpg

CoolleKotten likes this.
  2. pred666pain666

pred666pain666 Elite Hunter

class mate, love the modifications

3. Lowdmekon

Lowdmekon Hunter

Wicked buddy, keep going. I've promised my self I'd rework my 1/4 scale P1 one day.

4. Python

Python Blooded

Very nice, looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.

5. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

Thanks guys. Didn't want to do another hand just yet, so I started putting the first few layers on the feet.

E4E112B0-CC5C-4FA0-B3CC-7599341D9BBC_zpscpdjzqwr.jpg

01DBA190-032E-4ED7-89DB-46F7CE793F44_zpsw7l4xbrh.jpg

4BE3B78D-4E0E-4B16-A0A0-8ECE74EE0AF1_zpsrfialsgb.jpg

6. Lowdmekon

Lowdmekon Hunter

Dude, you gotta loose that seam line at the back of the foot.

7. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

I plan to when I get another chance to work on it.  It wasn't too noticeable to begin with, but the more I painted the more it stood out.  The seam on the big toe is a bit too noticeable as well.  I'll shave it off with a scalpel before I do anymore painting. 

8. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

The foot looks darker in the pic than it is.  It's driving me insane though.  The more I work on it the more dissatisfied I become with it.

1901217_689426211080262_787476678_n_zps6716b58a.jpg

9. BENSIN

BENSIN Hunter

When I saw the first picture in this thread, I thought you were insane and that this was going to look terrible.  I think the complete opposite now, this is looking sensational so far, more progress, more updates!!!  Excited to see the outcome!

10. Lowdmekon

Lowdmekon Hunter

Looking good fella, you've inspired me to start my P1.

Can I ask where did you get the mesh or could I please buy a chunk off you if you ave any spare?

11. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

The mesh is actually from a little tea straining device for a tea pot. I got it in a little Japanese store. It cost me $2.80, and if cut carefully you would probably have enough to fix up five or six masks. I'm not sure if the store even has them in stock anymore, but if they do I'll grab a couple and let you know.

12. Lowdmekon

Lowdmekon Hunter

Found one buddy £1 delivered from Honk Kong on ebay, searched worldwide for "tea strainer" how do you get the wicked dots and blended colour?

13. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

The spots are a combination of staining, heavily diluted paint and washes.  The blending is just layers upon layers of heavily diluted paints.  All of my colours are custom mixed, but basically I started with a primer grey and added layers of skin tone, white, various tones of custom mixed yellows, custom mixed browny orange red, opaque orange and a custom mix of opaque orange with a bit of brown mixed in.  If need be, I top it off with a little brown pigment.

These spots sure are tedious.

83D1DE08-B29B-4FE6-8B96-70F0C9D4548A_zpsbetfujm9.jpg

14. Python

Python Blooded

Yeah but so worth it in the end I'm sure, can't wait to see this finished.

15. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

I never posted it, but here's a pic I took of the back a while ago. Still a work in progress, but I'm unsure If I'm going to bother finishing up much of the detail, since most of it will be covered by the armour anyway.

_DSC7173_zps41db1e78.jpg

16. A Hunters Moon

A Hunters Moon Hunter

Well, I was kind of happy with my quarter scales factory paint up.  Until now!  Man this thing is looking beautiful.  Very nice work.

17. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

Haven't done a ton of work on this guy, but I'm slowly chipping away.  Thought I'd post a few of my WIP pics of the torso.

This was after I'd taken my base white, added the brownish orange-red, and was just starting to layer up the white areas with some yellow to pull the colours together.

9D37090F-0F0E-4CA5-A5F1-521C000DFC69_zpscwb4i2wb.jpg

Here's the left side partially done with the right side still pretty much unblended.

6994101B-5A4F-4E3B-A682-7F9BE4704D4F_zps5tbn2d0h.jpg

And here's the torso with the first bits of blending pretty much done.

D0A4FCC6-2629-4C2A-BFFC-35CC427CB274_zpsiixvafea.jpg

Here's the start of weaving the net.  Started out using nylon thread.  The thread itself is too thick, and my diamonds were closer to 1/2 scale than 1/4.  Found some thinner twine.  It's a bit closer to the proper size, but it's hard to work with.  Very brittle, and it's hard to keep the diamonds very uniform.  Putting the netting on the back burner for now.

75483697-3AC9-4ED6-9FDF-DA407845FE44_zpskfolzwtd.jpg

And here's my current progress.  Still tons of spotting to do, but slowly getting there.

A2B76F8C-F5CD-44AF-BCD8-A2DE616F8FF7_zpss4cy8rab.jpg

On the next sunny day I'll reassemble him and take a picture in the sunlight to point out all the various stages of completion.  Might help people to see the different stages of the paint up all in one picture.

18. wolverenz

wolverenz Blooded

Man its great to see some updates on your project. I always love seeing WIP shots.

I still adore that mask of yours hope you'd be interested to make a copies of it. I will be sure down for one. :D

19. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

I'll definitely make copies of it.  Still some tweaks I want to do to it.  Just need to get some money for supplies and try my hand at casting it up.

20. TRI LASER

TRI LASER Hunter

This is fantastic work mate! I'v recently repainted the armour and weapons on my P2 because I never liked it. I haven't bothered with the body only because I think neca did a pretty good job with it (and I don't trust myself to do as good  ;) lol). But yeah, love what you have done!

21. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

Here's a picture of it loosely assembled long enough to take a picture in direct sunlight.  All the pieces are in various stages of paint-up and completion.  You can see in direct sunlight that the darker skin patterns are still very much red-orange.  I'm trying to paint it so it's light reactive, since in "on set" and "in shop" pictures the colors can vary from red-orange to dark brown and even almost black depending on lighting.

There are still several physical mods I have planned, so several armor pieces haven't been touched with paint at all at this point.  The knee pads will be modified to sit on the knees properly, so I'll be removing the elastic.  The right thigh armor will be resculpted to be more accurately sized due to it being made larger to accommodate the disc accessory, while in the movie a bit of movie magic was used and the slightly smaller prop was used to represent the "holstered" disc.  I'm also going to segment the groin armor and do a few slight modifications to the plasma caster.  The net gun is also getting a make over as well.

_DSC7213_zps073e9d0e.jpg

Fayne likes this.
  22. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

Well, no luck with the netting. Best I could find was 1cm mesh. Works out to about .4", so just a little under twice the .25" it should be. It's still a nice thickness, and has a nice cloth hang, so it will work fine until I find something better. I have it in a dye bath at the moment, and when it's done I'll try to get a photo.

23. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

Took the netting out of the bath, and gave it a good soap scrub.  Dye didn't take 100%, so it's currently a deep, dirty, dark green.  At the very least, it's not bright green like it was, and I had planned on a little aging and weathering with the airbrush anyway, so no biggie.  Still looks slightly too big, which, I guess, is because it technically is, but I think it's the best I'm gonna get without having something custom made.  It's got the closest thing to the baggy, grungy look the movies had.  A lot of the netting I see people putting on theirs looks too new and "perfect" and I really liked the way it just looked like it was neglected, baggy and ripped in the movies.  I think the slight oversize of some of the diamonds will look less obvious once I've futzed it a bit before I'm done.

36637C47-437B-45F8-8E38-BA07198264DC_zps4xkkvj0n.jpg

24. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

I know I haven't been here long enough to post in the marketplace, I've put up an interest thread for the P2 helmet over on SSF.  Anyone that's interested can add their name to the list.  Hopefully, we can get enough people to justify me going through the trouble of making copies.  Nothing for sale or set in stone at the moment.  Just gauging interest.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?143477-NECA-1-4-Predator-2-quot-City-Hunter-quot-movie-accurate-bio-mask&p=6745835#post6745835

25. AliceTyson

AliceTyson Unblooded

Please ignore any scratches or white spots, as those areas are in the process of improvements.  While working on the interior I had a lightbulb moment.  I recalled I had a bit of metal mesh I used for my model kits that was just sitting in one of my supply cabinets.  I went and dug it out, and was pleasantly surprised at how close it was to being what I needed, and I'd had it all along.  As you can see in the following picture, it's pretty dead on to what was used on screen (during the unmasking in the slaughterhouse).  The only "problem" is it's shiny and reflective.  I use problem in quotes, because it's totally fixable with some paint.  I can easily dull the shine and add a bit of faux rust like the film.

39ea573b037ac3bd2f7b8124786f73df_zpsf5d908e0.jpg