NEED HELP IN PIECING TOGETHER A SUIT!

T

ta2pro

hi guys.i would greatly appreciate anyone that can help me piece a suit together.i bebopped all over the site seeing awesome one offs,but i am used to resin/fiberglass molds and painting things up.not to say i'm unresourceful,but i have an over fulltime tattoo studio to run and just don't have time to scratchbuild pieces.i'm not expecting sympathy or an easy tic.i'm still in awe of the originality and creativity in the stuff i've seen on here.i think you guys,despite lack of hollywood budget,have better ideas than the original things!i would love to talk w/someone personally in helping me find the right contacts for a great suit.i'm hoping to find abs/resin/fiberglass armor for durability and longivity.ty for any help.

S

SeaHunterr

Hi,
I would strongly suggest you go with latex armor pieces instead of resin/fiberglass, with exception of gauntlets. The body armor in resin/fiberglass just is not very functional, mobility is very limited, it's heavy, and will not be very friendly to your latex bodysuit. Been there, done that...sort of, so I would not recommend it, unless you are doing a static dummy display, and not wearing it. Latex can be foam filled for rigidity/resin type look if that's what you are looking for. Options are pretty limited unless you do it yourself.

S

Shataan

I tend to agree with that. Rezin for gaunts. But latex for comfort and mobility armorwise. It just makes sense.

T

ta2pro

foam filled is not alaways the best solution.easiest,but weakest.moisture can trap causing,mold/spore breakdown of foam throughout yrs from sweating in a costume..also remember latex allergies.long exposure over time will weaken your immunity towards all latex and not just i.e=expandafoam.i am a tattoo artist and we suggest nitrile over long periods of tattooing.so i appreciate the feedback for foam filled,but be aware of all the pros/cons of materials that adhere/rest on your skin for long periods of time.comfort also rests in correct positioning of armor.

F

fantazar

Hi guys,

Although the above may be true, why not just wear an undershirt so the latex isn't against your skin?
That way you still have the mobility and don't have to worry about whether you have allergies to the latex.

Just my 2c worth

T

The Mortal Immortal

I like latex gaunts. They move and bend and don't feel so cumbersome.

T

TK3467

Actually I plan on wearing something like a dive skin or under armor under mine so it isn't directly in skin contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SeaHunterr

Blaze, that's exactly the suit I used for mine. Since back zips are hard to find, I just turned it around, and cut the neck down a bit, works great. I walked around in a full latex suit with that dive skin for about 45minutes without sweating...I think having space between the diveskin and the latex suits helps alot, I didn't glue the entire suit to the latex, just in key places. Not too expensive, I paid 50.00 at a local diveshop for mine.

S

Shataan

"I didn't glue the entire suit to the latex, just in key places. "

I too am gluing my pieces to the lycra bodysuit undergarment in key places. But the uncovered areas will be latexed. This will allow imho areas not glued under the pieces to expand nicely, not be too rigid.

Can`t wait to finally get to this next stage. Soon. Latex is enroute.

F

fantazar

I thought about using a dive suit but as I get hot too easily, gave it away and went for a Spandex suit instead as it's thinner.

Works like a dream!

S

SeaHunterr

one benefit of the spandex dive suit configuration is durability.
I had a suit with lycra light weight stuff, and it could not hold up to the weight of the costume. Zipper blew out and the whole suit started tearing, major FUBAR

F

fantazar

Don't ya get too hot in that though?

I'd probably come out cooked after 30mins unless I jump in a cold lake for a while.

S

SeaHunterr

It doesn't seem to hot at the moment, but I have not added armor, mask, etc. It will be hot no matter what, the main thing is durability for me, I want something I can use more than a couple times before it self destructs.

S

Savage Yautja

Check this place out for a spandex bodysuit to coat with latex for the basic costume. They do great quality and get the fit wrinkle free.www.spandexwear.com

You want durability? Use 4 way stretch heavyweight lycra spandex. It's very strong stuff. Add a heavy duty nylon wetsuit zipper to it and you've got a great combination. Latex coat this while on a mannequin or yourself wrapped in saran wrap with it on and it will conform to your shape like a glove. The glue on the foam muscles and seal with a top layer of latex. Then paint. You'll have the main piece of your costume. It's a start.

T

ta2pro

uh,'scuse me here,but is'nt this a reply as to how to help me find the best possibility in finding a suit?please don't build off a thread by tangents,ty.

S

Shataan

The info ya need is all around you dude. But ya need to read alot. And get to know peeps here well enough 1st. Sorry but that is the way of it. There ARE dudes here who make and sell the whole Enchalada. Armor and suits.

A few notables are, .... Daniel Bravo, and Pete Mander. They are a good place to start. But as well they are extremely hard to get a hold of. Keep that inmind. There are no quick fast easy routes to getting a suit.

The info posted by others here like SeaHunterrs info, is very important. Just getting a suit is only part of the equation. Anyways, good luck to ya. I myself am going thru the same motions in making/getting suit/armor parts. And the best things I have done so far is reading alot here in all the forums, and getting to know peeps and letting them get to know me.

Last thing was to just accept the fact this is gonna take alot of time. ... and research. Good luck.