Need some painting information...

BUGZ

Blooded
Hey everyone,

I need your help! I'm in the completion of building an alien suit and its came to the point where it needs to be painted.
A good friend of mine Steve Hird will be adding airbrushed highlights onto the suit,but 1st I'll be pianting the suit black. But what materials should I use? Latex mixed with black acrylic?

Is permawet avalible in the UK? How much would I need for this?

Sorry for all the questions lol

But any help is most appriciated!!!

Cheers

Bri

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I used straight latex and got black tint from the paint store and added some distilled water. Perma-wet is hard to find in the UK, you can use clear plasti dip paint to give it a nice sheen. Some other guy from the UK said he was using Marvin medium, not sure what that is. But I guess it the same kinda stuff.from the UK

When building your suit make sure you add a few stitches to some of the high wear areas if your gluing on the parts. (upper arms piece, back arm piece, the middle penis piece, and the front 2 side belly piece) Sliding the chest and back spin on and off can catch or pull these pieces away from or off the suit.
aliensewa.jpg

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
BUGZ.

I got my permawet sent from MONSTERROOM ( who was on the old lair, not sure if they moved to new one ) they were kind enough to ship to the UK at a reasonable price, i suggest you drop them a pm as you may aswell get the best to finish it off nicely.

when you see steve slap him for me hehe

I used Marvin Medium ages ago. It's a flexible sealer that dries to a glossy finish. Works quite well, the only draw back is it turns a milky colour if you get it wet.

I now use a mix of pros aide or beta bond and acrylic gloss medium. they both dry clear and are flexible and both are available by mai, order in the uk. Just to clarify, you don't wix the pros aide or beta bond with the acrylic gloss medium. You paint the area with the pros aide as a primer for the gloss medium to adhere too. Then paint the gloss medium atop the adhesive.

BUGZ

Blooded
Hey guys,

Thank you for your responses and help! VERY appriciated!! Usurper I'll send Monsterroom an email then! (Was the custom charges OK?)

The Mortal Immortal Thanks for the great information man! Your alien is looking great! The neck section on the back? Did you sculpt that? I'd be interested in a copy of that! ;)

Here is what it looks like so far:

P1010163.jpg

P1010161-1.jpg

VIDEO

Cheers guys!!!

Keep you posted

Bri

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Thank you, your suit is look really good as well.

I contacted Jay aka monsterroom for a few extra pieces, he was kind and sent them to me for free. I use the extra back tongue looking piece off the spine which makes up the back of the my neck. Not to waste anything, I used the other side to roll up the back to make the tail tie into the suit. I used the extra top arm piece to detail the open area under the jaw. I need to get my spring loaded tongue in mine.

One thing I wished was if all the pieces of the suit came in black and not raw latex. I know thats not good because the tinted latex will eat and crack your molds faster.

BUGZ

Blooded
Thanks guys!

Ah I might send Jay an email and ask for a few extra parts too! The middle spine ribbing is a great idea! If ok may I use that same idea? I feel the neck section on mine is a little naked! I did sculpt a piece that would hide the opening on the back! But the detail isn't that good.

P1010147-1.jpg

Its very basic, but you get the idea! ;)

Cheers for the info!!

I'll keep you posted!

Bri B)

BUGZ

Blooded
Hey man,

I got the kit from America. Got it from the supplier named "Monsterroom"

Oh no I couldn't make it BUT the Bug that you saw was a very good friend of mine! ;)

Bri

Pug50

Unblooded
Were you at collectomania in it the other day?
That would be me, long time lurker at Hunters Lair. I was there with the UKCM:

BTW, your bug is looking great, Bri. Keep up the good work! I look forward to scaring with you!

Gareth

Last edited by a moderator:

Taraka

Blooded
That would be me, long time lurker at Hunters Lair. I was there with the UKCM:

BTW, your bug is looking great, Bri. Keep up the good work! I look forward to scaring with you!

Gareth
DUDE! I saw one of them get owned by that Alien on DDR at youtube!!! lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taraka

Blooded
DUDE! At first I had this urge to brutalilly critisize yo-j/k. :rolleyes: But I'll quote the EXACT words I said when I saw ur video.

"Holy **** that looks bad-ass!!!"

That's absolutely well done dude! The only thing that'd make it better is a mechanical jaw rig. But MAN!!!! You should be in a fan movie with that!

kriker

Blooded
if i say the word sweet till my ears start bleeding will I get the point across? =D lol nice matey.. thats really brilliant.. eventually i want to make one of these too so i'm amazed at the detail after painting... are you going to shove some metallic purple highlights on it? to give it the "bug" look? =D

It's brilliant none the less ^^

Post up some more shots so we can all continue to drool ^^

BUGZ

Blooded
Yeah I have reached the stage of the entire suit being fully painted black!

It looks great! but will hopefully look better once highlighted!

Scott, did you add dark tones then light tones or the opposite effect?

cheers

Bri :)

1 UglyMofo

Unblooded
Hi guys haven't been back since asking you about Collectomania. Very cool costumes, you scared the crap out of my nephew
:D

Hopefully I'll see you at the next one in Milton Keynes.

Neil