Needing some fast and reliable help!

D

Drauka

I have a highschool halloween dance coming up on the 27th, and a halloween party some time after. I wanted to crush the competition for best costume, so I've decided to do a Predator costume. One major problem is I cant seem to find any well made things, and I dont know how or where to start. I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars, but I need some help from people that have done this before. I'm looking to find a way to get the whole costume done within two weeks, and being a perfectionist I havnt really found any good looking costumes for sale, except the ones on e-bay for around $3,000. Any help would be awsome, I'm looking forward to see if anyone can help me.

T

The Mortal Immortal

That about the true cost of a predator suit is 3,000.00. Sure there you can get some cheaper, but they are raw meaning you would have to paint it. A good mask will cost about 300.00 painted. Your a little late in the game to find one for a couple hundred dollars. But hey your asking on the right site for parts.

D

Drauka

I am willing to paint and everything, but all I need is how to make or where to buy regular parts of the body. I just want to get a decent costume to go in, if I can get all the stuff together I can get it painted before the dance. I bought some shoulder armor, leg molds, a mask with helmet, necklace, and groin armor. I'm going to make the dreds out of foam.

A

acerhater

Wow, not leaving yourself much time, its going to be a major undertaking to have it done to your expectations in that time. There have been several previous post about doing a pred on the cheap and they have looked real well. For your price range I would suggest getting something like a Mr. Incredible halloween costume and turning that into your body suit. Their fairly inexpensive, arourn 60 bucks, and with a covering of latex turn our real well (look for them on ebay). Search through the forums and you should be able to find some tutorials on how to do that, here is a link to a forum post on The Hunters Forum so you can see one of the results. Good luck with your project.

D

Drauka

Ok, thank you for the help so far. I bought the Mr. Incredible costume, now all I need is the latex. Where should I buy the latex, and what kind should I buy. Now that I have everything I just need the guantlets, where could I buy them or how should I make them?

A

acerhater

Monster Makersmonster shop has pretty good latex. As I have not gone this route myself I am guessing you want RD- 407 Mask Latex. I use the dipping latex for the things I do but none of them are covering fabric costumes and the dipping latex is very thin. I usually get my order from them within 4 days or so. You could try ebay also, I know I have seen mask latex listed there.

As far as hands go you could go to your local halloween store and pick up some monster hands and just repaint them to match your body. Or again do a search on ebay for predator hands and you can find some of the mass produced generic ones that look ok but would look much better if you repaint them.

P

pirkleations

If you need the latex fast, go to nearest craft supply store you can find. Places like Ben Franklin, JoAnns and Michael's often sell a product call Mold Builder. It's a thicker latex that can be thinned with water and paint to spread it farther. You can look it up online too, to get a better idea of what it is and looks like.
Mix in some craft acrylic color of your choice in a 25% acrlyic paint, 75% latex. The more color you add, the more opaque(and less stretchy) the latex will be.
For a fast application of the latex on the hero suit, use large sponges, rather than paint brushes.

You may need up to a gallon's worth to get the job done.

Good luck!!

~DangerDavey

D

Drauka

Thank you for all your help, yesterday i bought around $200 worth of latex, paints, and molding. I have everything set for making almost all the stuff, but I have a few last questions. I bought drops that turn the latex a color, which allows my latex coating over the Mr. Incredible costume to be the predators flesh color. The only problem is I dont know if before a primer color was used to diminish the red color that the costume is. I dont want to have to paint the whole costume a base color if I cant prevent it. Besides that my last question is on how I should make the guantlets for the costume, I have basically the rest of the armor. Again thank you for all your help, I'm going to post pics of how my costume turned out after I'm done with it.

T

The Big Gunns

Mix some white in with your latex. You need to apply 3-5 layers of latex and that will kill the red color.
~Mel

P

pirkleations

Drauka,

Pick up a set of plastic forearm protection at your local sporting goods store or thrift store and build up some gauntlets on those. Kit bash some sci-fi toys to attach to the armor.

Paint it up and you'll be set.

~DangerDavey

S

Savage Yautja

Are you talking about latex pigments? I have the black pigment, It treats 5 gallons with the contents of the small bottle. Usually these pigments are darker once the latex dries. Acrylic paints can also be mixed in with the latex for a base color then aitbrushing darker colors onto the suit once you have your latex built up enough.

D

Drauka

Thank you all fo the great help. Yes it is the latex pigments that i bought that works on up to 5 gallons. I bought flesh and yellow pigment for the skin color of the Predators, and I'm painting the black and brown on(dont have an air brush).