New Auto Blade Gauntlet -Finished Video Added 3/17/13

wonko

Hunter
alphatech686 said:
Dude this is a really nice piece. Don't sell yourself short. Not many folks have come up with functional stuff that looks right and works.
Look at my last guantlet, like someone said on here it looks like a VCR strapped to my arm. I don't know if they were refurring to me but
they may has well have been. After reading about your build here I decided to pare mine back a little. Just today I shaved off the top of my blades
for that very reason.   
Thanks Jeff.  When planning it out, I tried to keep it as simple as I possibly could (I live by KISS).  I tried to take into account the use and abuse it will probably get at the cons, and didn't want to worry about having to pull it apart and fix it while in full costume.  There's not really allot that can go wrong with it.  If the rubber bands, or any other parts break, I have the option of a fairly easy fix, or locking the blades closed.  I'm flattered that you decided to pare yours back based on this.

Brian

BonzRus

Hunter
Sorry Brian, I have just now caught up on this. Please forgive my tardiness but I do have a legitimate excuse... :D  This looks really cool and as stated very clean. I like that. You have done an excellent job figuring all this out. The mechanicals are not and easy thing to overcome sometimes but I think you nailed it.

Steve

wonko

Hunter
Nador said:
Pretty Build Wonko ! Especially with the working blades, it adds realism :)
I gotta say, you're probably the first person to call one of my builds pretty...I love it!  Thank you very much.
BonzRus said:
Sorry Brian, I have just now caught up on this. Please forgive my tardiness but I do have a legitimate excuse... :D  This looks really cool and as stated very clean. I like that. You have done an excellent job figuring all this out. The mechanicals are not and easy thing to overcome sometimes but I think you nailed it.

Steve
no apologies necessary Steve, I know you've been a little "pre occupied"  ;).  Like I posted before, I tried to keep it as clean and simple as possible.  I'm having a hard time finding a spring that will work with this set up, so as much as I hate it, I'm probably gonna have to stick with the rubber bands for now.  I also don't know a way to make the return mechanism fit in it, so I'm calling this one v 1.3 (3 tries to get it where it's at now).  Hopefully v 2.0 will have it all and still be a decent size. 

eaglewood said:
Brian-- this is way cool-- Im impressd with it and think it rocks. Keep up the great work!!!
Thanks Clay.  Seeing the way you've used "ordinary stuff" has helped me think outside the box, which is something I have to work at.  Someday I'm gonna try one of your spears...

Brian

PredatoRay31

Blooded
Nice blades and set up. It looks great.
I'm kind of working on something similar and hope it comes out as good as this one. They wont auto retract but will slide out via spring tension released by a small string around my middle finger. The thing about mine is everything (except the arm guard) will be made from parts at Lowe's....The blades, the slide, the locking mechanism, and the blade housing. I made the blade housing out of fusing two, 3 switch wall boxes (the plastic boxes that hold household light switches).
When I get time, I'll post some pics. It'll make sense.

wonko

Hunter
PredatoRay31 said:
Nice blades and set up. It looks great.
I'm kind of working on something similar and hope it comes out as good as this one. They wont auto retract but will slide out via spring tension released by a small string around my middle finger. The thing about mine is everything (except the arm guard) will be made from parts at Lowe's....The blades, the slide, the locking mechanism, and the blade housing. I made the blade housing out of fusing two, 3 switch wall boxes (the plastic boxes that hold household light switches).
When I get time, I'll post some pics. It'll make sense.
Thanks!  Believe it or not, I built the entire blade mechanism, housing, and blades from stuff I had lying around my shop.  I guess you could say I'm a bit of a pack rat (hoarder???) when it comes to saving things.  My wife still thinks I save too much stuff, but she was impressed with what I cam up with, and liked the cost even better!  Looking forward to seeing some pics!

I will get some video of it complete and working this weekend.

Brian 

spookystalker

Unblooded
That gauntlet looks amazing!  A lot of time, dedication and thought looks to have been put into this project.  Your payoff, a nice set of wrist blades!  I for one am very impressed on how well it works (saw videos).  Can't wait to see how mine turn out once I start my project.  Can't wait to see it in action!

BonzRus

Hunter
Looking forward to that video Brian. I would love to see it complete and in action. You going to do the vid with it on your wrist?

Steve

wonko

Hunter
Yeah Steve, my plan was to put it on with the torso and hand, but I don't have anyone to record. Maybe I'll just put the hand on and show it that way. I've been researching double action otf knives, and think I have a way to make it work in a gaunt. I have too many projects going on right now as it is, so it's gonna be a while on that one. Thanks for the continued interest!

Brian

BonzRus

Hunter
I know what you mean by too many projects...whew...I woukld be interesteed in seeing what your knife research turns up as a possible solution. Sounds interesting.

Steve

wonko

Hunter
sulaco1967 said:
Aye Quality Brian.. will be bookmarkng this future projects...

Cheers

Sean
Thanks Sean, I consider this one a success.  I'm glad to help out anyway I can if you need it in the future.

Brian

wonko

Hunter
predwolf said:
quality well done!!!
BonzRus said:
Very nice indeed....it looks great Brian. Thanks for the vid.

Steve
A Hunter's Moon said:
It slices!  It dices!  It looks really cool to boot!  hehe  Good work bud.
Thanks guys.  Found out today that the promoter of one of out local cons does not allow wooden swords (dumbest thing I've ever heard) and my blades are wooden, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.  I do know one of the guys that works security for the event, so I'm thinking if I can get there when he's there it won't be a problem.  Worst case scenario, I make some new one out of resin.  :cool:

Brian

sulaco1967

Hunter
wonko said:

Thanks guys.  Found out today that the promoter of one of out local cons does not allow wooden swords (dumbest thing I've ever heard) and my blades are wooden, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.  I do know one of the guys that works security for the event, so I'm thinking if I can get there when he's there it won't be a problem.  Worst case scenario, I make some new one out of resin.  :cool:

Brian
Jeez Health and Safety gone mad...

I know for a fact that the first time my suit is out in public view the local Police will be on me like a Rash..part of me is looking forward to it...sorry officer it's not a deadly human ivecerating device..its a lump of resin...and the gun thing attached to my shoulder does not realy work..lol

Flupping heath and safety...Rips ma knitting as we say in Scotland

Sean

ThePriest

Blooded
Man that is killer i love it . there is nothing wrong with that .i am thinking about this very same stuff i can't wait to give it a go ! you did an awesome job !