New gauntlet top

Well it being a sunday afternoon, I was bored and thought what I could do to aleviate the boredom, so I started a new gauntlet top....out of card. I've already done one P1 style gauntlet but it's solid and non functioning. So as I had some spare card on hand I started a new prototype P1 computer gauntlet top.

DSC00555.jpg

There it is nearly done. I've started work on some plastic inserts for the display panesl on it too....But I got to thinking even if I had absolutely no knowledge in electronics I must be able to get ti to light up and actually do something. So I rumanged around in my bits and bobs box and found and old christmas card, you know the funny ones with the fibre optics in and a speaker for a song. Well I cut the speaker off and took an age pulling the fibre optics from out of the card.....but I managed to do this with it

th_MOV00560.jpg

So even with my limited ability I managed to get it to do something. Only have to figure out how to turn the damn thin on with out taking the bak off the gauntlet top to pull the little cardboard tab on it. But still not bad work for  sunday just needs a few extra details an then it'll get sealed and painted and weathered.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I like it your doing a great job on that. Make me wonder why I buy premade stuff, when I could just build it at home. You rock Maverick118 with all you could stuff.

drgnfyre4

Hunter
Mav...we really need to do a few posts that are all about construction with Cardstock!!!
Great Job on that lid!!

Scott, cheers bro' I do this simply to show you don't need to be loaded down with pockets full of geld to have a half decent cossie. But I'll most likely be molding this up and making and doing copies in plastic.

Mike I'm game if you are. You're stuff kicks ass loved the witch blade gaunt you did a ways back. I may need a few pics of your countdown section mate if that's okay with you, as I'm going to try and do the lower section and illuminate that too. Oh and my Boba lid is ready for casting now as it's all done and dusted. I made the range finder with some clear acrylic and molded that so I can make another in resin that's a touch more frosted in appearence.

I'll most likey take pics of the insides to and post them up just to show how simple the workings are even if a tad untidy. I've not glued any wires down yet as I give the interior and exterior a good few coats of Exterior PVA as once it's soaked in it turns the card I use rock solid.

drgnfyre4

Hunter
Scott, cheers bro' I do this simply to show you don't need to be loaded down with pockets full of geld to have a half decent cossie. But I'll most likely be molding this up and making and doing copies in plastic.
Mike I'm game if you are. You're stuff kicks ass loved the witch blade gaunt you did a ways back. I may need a few pics of your countdown section mate if that's okay with you, as I'm going to try and do the lower section and illuminate that too. Oh and my Boba lid is ready for casting now as it's all done and dusted. I made the range finder with some clear acrylic and molded that so I can make another in resin that's a touch more frosted in appearence.

I'll most likey take pics of the insides to and post them up just to show how simple the workings are even if a tad untidy. I've not glued any wires down yet as I give the interior and exterior a good few coats of Exterior PVA as once it's soaked in it turns the card I use rock solid.
gauntletview1.jpg

Hope these help Mav.

Cheers Mike I really appreciate you taking the time to post those up. I've been digging away looking for another card with lights and doodads and dound an old Valetnines card form my good lady which has a couple of bright red led's so with the left over fibre optics I got from the other card I think I should be able to do something with the countdown gaunt section too.

As for my Boba lid. I think it didn't turn out too bad. Off topic I know but..

DSC00288.jpg

Finished with this

DSC00445.jpg

You can do a ton of stuff with card. I like it becuase you can do really nice mechanical looking things. The other thing is it can even be molded if sealed and prepped correctly. Thanks again for looking it's nice to know I'm on the right track with this, as I said i haven't a clue about electronics but it's something I should be delving into quite soon.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Here was some pictures I saved of some guy off ebay that make a foam or cardboard P2 armor and gaunts. I thought it came out pretty good.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Pretty damn cool Scott, it's great what can be done when you think outside the box slightly.

Mike when we do finally get around to doing some step by step stuff, we may want to include styrerne sheeting into it too, as I've used that too in much the same way as I've used the card. I can get some a4 stuff from the hobby store and have used it to make my P1/BDE blades I think you should post up your cannon mount mate that was kick ass work.

Well I've done more work on a revamped countdown top thanks to Mike's pics which proved helpful indeed. I've also created a new balde gauntlet top too and some new P1 style blades too.

DSC00569.jpg

the new countdown lid is on the bottom and has been completed since that pic was taken, it has a few extra nice greeblies and details to it too. This too uses a similar lighting unit ripped from the inside of a novelty card.

DSC00590.jpg

New blade made from styrene sheeting plyed together once the bade segments were created.

DSC00584.jpg

They are quite a length too and nice and broad, here you can seen the bevelled edges to the segments

DSC00594.jpg

Blades with the prototype gauntlet top

DSC00571.jpg

There's the interior to the gantlet top. The styrene box will house the workings for the gauntlet. I've borrowed Predmanic's design from a while back as it's simple and easy to maintainwhich as some will know is a bonus whilst working on location.

The blade top will have the neccesary greebles and details added later tomorrow and the mecanics of the gauntlet inserted too.

Probably as soon as my custom elder is done and dusted Scott. If you liked the way the blade gauntlet is shaping up wait until you see this

th_MOV00607.jpg

As I said i used Predmaniacs idea, as I PM'ed him long before the old lair went down as I was impressed with his AVP gauntlets that he made from the rubies hands. I like low tech approaches, as there is less to go wrong. I've made a trigger mechanism for the blades too now which will enable me to trigger the blade extension. I'm trying to work out a way to armthe thing but hide the mechanism away so it's not really visible.

My AVP templates have gone through a radical over haul too, they are far more accurate now than previously posted and I've got a bundle of other stuff I'm working on too. But that's not pred related as they are make up appliances. Stay tuned see more fun with card baord

I Decided as the top neared completion it needed a lower section instead of the foam on for stunts. So I managed this in an afternoon

DSC00620.jpg

dcs0619a.jpg

DSC00624.jpg

cyberpred

Hunter
Blinkin Lights? I want to see something other than that. While I understand that this was done in an afternoon I would like to see something different.

Cary

Cary so would I mate, but you have to understand my experience with electronics is non existent at the moment, so I've had to make do with what I've got at hand. Plus this was to show those trying to build things from scratch that you don't have to get overly complicated to get a pretty good effect. Thanks for looking though any hints and suggestions are very much appreciated mate.

ronin

Hunter
Wow man! Those gaunts are looking killer...and the blades have great shape. Dig the helmet as well...amazing skills bro!