Oh where, oh where has my hydrocal gone......

P

pirkleations

Help!

I'm having trouble finding white hydrocal plaster or Ultracal 30 here in the states(Sacramento, California to be exact)
My best source for it closed about 2 years ago. Are there any national building supply stores that carry either type of plaster? Home Depot? OSH? Lowes?
I'm getting tired of my regular plaster of paris molds decintegrating and losing details so quickly.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

DangerDavey/Pirkleations

P

pirkleations

Okay,

I just found out that hydrocal is basically gypsum cement, which I have seen at Home Depot and Lowes, but is grey instead of white. I'm going shopping....

Done thinking....brain hurts....

DangerDavey

M

Maverick118

You'll have to let us how you get on with it. Is it for a latex piece? As we here in the UK can't find UltraCal or HydroCal for love nor money. I'd be very interested in the results if it is any good, as I have a good builders merchant down the road from me and I could actually make some really strong molds that won't crack up on me

P

pirkleations

Thanks Gene!

I'll look into gypsum solutions. There appears to be a place in Sacto that sells pretty much all of the "cals".
I've got a mold cooking right now that is yet another product called White Portland Cement. NibsFlibble says that it is better than regular Plaster of Paris. I'm trying to keep it economical without sacrificing detail or longevity. I have a couple of latex mask molds that I had used white hydrocal for over 10 years ago and they are still holding up strong and solid.
I mainly use the plaster and gypsum for making my annual Halloween Mask molds, so they need to last for literally dozens of pulls per year.
I'll post my experiment results as they develope.

DangerDavey/Pirkleations

M

monsterroom

You might try Burman Industries. They have just about everything you could want. Thay are located in Van Nuys CA.
Give them a call, they are very helpfull. 818-782-9833 You can also look them up at WWW.bermanfoam.com.

P

pirkleations

Thanks M.R.!

I know Burman isn't cheap, but it will be a good option to keep in mind!

DangerDavey

M

Maverick118

I can get hold of a good hard alpha plaster but I have to get my mate to order it for me from London and though it really is quite good shipping costs a fair bit, so if the grey gypsum cemnet works well enough for you I might give it a go myself as I said I have a builders merchant no more than ten minutes walk away from where I live. Plus it could prove beneficial to us UK hunters who don't have access to UltraCal. Keep us posted please.

P

pirkleations

"Getting Plastered"....UPDATE:

Okay. I'm still testing out the White Portland Cement. I tried it out on a gothic book cover sculpt with a 1" thick plaster pouring, but it broke right down the middle. I probably should have re-enforced it with something. I'll try another asap. Need to fix the clay book-cover first. If this next one doesn't work, I'm going to try the other small bag of gypsum that I picked up and see how that does. I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to doing plaster molds.
Worst case scenario is that I hit the place that Gene pointed out to me a few posts earlier and get the good stuff!!

DangerDavey

M

Maverick118

Shame about the mold, I know exactly how you feel, most of my molds go that way, apart from the box molds I do, but they are pretty much fool proof, apart from the mixing. I hope things work out, as I'm in the same boat. Only over here no UltraCal period.