Okay so I'm gonna do it.

B

blk n blu dream

I'm am going to make a mask. I figure, I have plenty of time to perfect it and correct it... and the ones that are available just dont mesh with my custom Female Pred idea that popped into my head recently.

Let's just say, lots of razors, spikes and skulls..

Anyways, now the question, what is the best clay to sculpt a mask... also, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also where I can find the clay.. like a website or whatnot.

Thanks!

P

pirkleations

I suggest an oil-based clay like roma plastalina or Van Aiken. You can get that at any Ben Franklin Crafts or Michael's Crafts store in your town.
It is easy to use and if you make mistakes, very easy to resculpt. Plus, it lasts quite a while if you keep it clean and bagged in plastic when not in use. Water-based clay tends to dry out over time and is hard to modify if needed.(My own personal opinion)
There are a few good sites for ordering clay, but you'll pay quite a bit in shipping since any kind of clay weighs some serious poundage.
I'd try to find some at the craft stores first before ordering any online. The money you save can go inot your project!!

Good luck!!! :eek:)

DangerDavey

B

blk n blu dream

Approximately how much does it take to make a mask?

S

Savage Yautja

I odered mine from here:www.chavant.com/index_main.shtml
I ordered 5, 10 lb. bricks of Chavant NSP (No Sulphur Plastiline) oil-based clay. I got the red color clay and it works great. It's easy to smooth and holds it shape well too. Not cheap but it doesn't dry out either. 50 1bs was 138.00 plus about 20 for shipping. Wish I'd started using clay for these kinds of projects years ago. I really like it that much.

P

pirkleations

That's actually not a bad price for shipping 50 pounds of clay. A great option if "B & BD" can't find a source in town. Any extra clay can be used for sculpting a great bio to go with the mask!!!

DangerDavey

B

blk n blu dream

So 50 lbs is a good amount to start with?

*takes a deep breath* Gettin' ready to get this thing rolling...

after I get paid. lol

P

pirkleations

50 pounds a good, solid supply to start with.
When it comes to oil-based clay, it never hurts to have extra. I can often use it on several projects at once when I have a good supply on hand.
Plus, if another Lair member needs some, you can either sell some to other Lair members or do a PIF(Pay it Forward) if you find that you have more than you think you can use.

Have fun with your project and don't forget to post pictures of your progress!!

DangerDavey

B

blk n blu dream

Have fun with your project and don't forget to post pictures of your progress!!
Of course! And I will expect critiques and lots of them.. this being my first attempt at a pred, I want to get it as right as possible... so I'm not walking around with a mediocre mask. ha ha

P

PredatoRob

To add to the already great advice given, make sure you don't order clay that is too hard. They come in different grades- soft, medium, hard etc. Some companies probably offer several grades along the aforementioned 3. I've read that either soft or medium grades are best for big projects. Otherwise you'll kill your fingers and your patience if you get something that's too hard.

Wait.. that didn't sound right... oh well.