OTF blade mechanism in the works.

Discussion in 'Predator Props' started by Pestvic, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Pestvic

Pestvic Blooded

Just wanted everyone to see that it works. I'm turning the mech with a screw driver because I don't want a gear on bottom. Here is where the arm will sit so it has to be internal.

From what I read we can change the torque by making the gear bigger for the string. So I've been adjusting in cad and will hopefully get a working string soon haha. I'm also editing to make the moving parts lighter so I can use a lighter spring that will be easier on the string pull.
    image.jpg
    We'll keep trying! To bad Pete couldn't chime in :p.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for a print and my frustration to calm down, I designed this in about 30minutes. (Wolf mine coming soon!)
    image.jpg
    Just going to make the shell a little bit thicker for some room to carve the dimples into the shell.

Shogun and Jmen like this.
  2. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

One of the best mechs i see. Love it. :cool:

Shogun and Pestvic like this.
  3. Pestvic

Pestvic Blooded

Thanks man! :) I wish I had access to more style springs, Spring steel, etc. I'm limited to the ones the hardware store has and its hard to get it to balance. But you guys give me motivation to finish it :)

Shogun and Jmen like this.
  4. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Its good, if its good))) Do you plan to sale your stl of mech and wolf mine?

Pestvic likes this.
  5. Pestvic

Pestvic Blooded

Yeah I plan to list them on shapeways for a decent price :) maybe one option will be a package deal. I'm going to design his vial of blue goo and whip most likely. His plasma cannon will be the last challenge.

Jmen likes this.
  6. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

I think i want all of it. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Pestvic likes this.
  7. Vyrstolf

Vyrstolf Blooded

That's wicked. Let us know when they're for sale, and what the hell is shape ways? Lol

Pestvic likes this.
  8. Pestvic

Pestvic Blooded

Shapeways is the site that you can sell the stl files you use to 3D print these.

9. Vyrstolf

Vyrstolf Blooded

Oh, they you'd need a printer. Bah!

Pestvic likes this.
  10. Pestvic

Pestvic Blooded

I might sell the printed versions, but users would have to do the sanding and finalizing to get it to work smooth :)

Shogun and Vyrstolf like this.
  11. Shogun

Shogun Blooded

Yes you will get it eventually......... ! :D

Pestvic likes this.
  12. Nimri

Nimri Unblooded

Love your work!! Also I'm excited to hear about the whip, how would you make that? Would it be simply for show (meaning it cant unravel or actively move) or would you make it interactive?

Pestvic and Shogun like this.
  13. Pestvic

Pestvic Blooded

I plan to use a standard black whip you can buy at the costume store and then add slip on alien tail spikes to the whip like the move. Maybe even a handle shell. So it would definitely work :)