Other ideas for a body suit not involving latex

C

Cyrax

I'm looking to cut foam and hot-glue to an UnderArmor-esque shirt. What kind of foam do i use first of all and what would it be found in? and secondly, would latex be a necessity to cover the foam in? are there any ways i can make a muy bueno body-suit while avoiding the use of latex or other pricey materials?

P

pirkleations

You might be able to pull off a suit that is mainly foam padding cut to shape and worn with a light-tone spandex body suit over it.
You could use fabric paints to do the reptillian colors and markings.

You can buy upholstery foam at any large fabric or craft store in various thicknesses from 1/8" to 4". Cut and shape your muscle pieces with scissors and an electric carving knife.

I think there is a tutorial somewhere here on the Lair on how to do a foam undersuit.

DangerDavey

J

JediUsurper

That gorilla chest peice is interesting, i wonder how much depth and detail there are? pity it hasnt got a side/profile view.
save me some time as i think the chest will be the hardest to get the right shapes for.

C

Cyrax

I would imagine the foam underneath the spandex to be uncomfortable against the skin and furthermore, it might shift around.

How would cutting the foam, gluing it on some spandex, and wearing another painted spandex suit over that work out? I know it'd be hot, but do you think one could still function in it?

S

Shataan

Do a good read thru the Huntorial forum. Tons of good ideas in there.

J

JediUsurper

i contacted the gorilla suit guy, but no reply, so

STUFF EM !

manners cost nothing.

ill just go the foam route myself

S

Shataan

I emailed lethalgear to see if they still made these chest pulls:

lethalgear.itcstore.com/d...px?p=87506

But after repeated unanswered emails, decided to go for the Paul Roberts. Pizzed me off tho, cause the chest piece from Lethalgear was only $125 buxsheesh. Could have saved some dough.

M

Maverick118

One thing I'll say about the foam suits, as I've recently completed a stunt suit. I heartily recommend you coat it with latex. The foam is very fragile and prone to tearing if you catch it on something. Skinning with latex adds quite a bit of strength to it. Plus if you use thickend latex you can texture the suit by using a large sponge and stippling, get a nice bumpy skin texture that way.

T

TK3467

How long did you give the gorilla suit guy to reply? Not everyone gets their email as often.

S

Shataan

"Skinning with latex adds quite a bit of strength to it. Plus if you use thickend latex you can texture the suit by using a large sponge and stippling, get a nice bumpy skin texture that way."

That`s how I will be doing mine actually. Mel suggested this too. Good idea.

C

Cyrax

The reason i was trying to shy away from latex was i figured it was expensive. anyone know how much latex i'd need to do a body suit and what the cost would be?

T

The Mortal Immortal

I get my latex from the same place. One day ship for me. Rd407 is a great stuff for the money.

T

The Big Gunns

You probably would need a gallon of latex for your suit.. which isnt expensive at all. You can use a sponge roller and put several layers on the suit (make sure you have the suit on a duct tape dummy or mannequin your size when doing this). ~Mel

J

JediUsurper

3 days now and they havent replied, it was sent through ebay also.

no matter i should have funds to get latex and other stuff i need soon

P

predmaniac

Another little tip, to get a good skin tecture on my back, i lined the fabric muscle suit with crinkled tin foil. When latexed you get a very interesting skin texture.

J

JediUsurper

Just got reply about that gorilla chest , thought id post it here incase anyone still interested.

" sorry no side on pics available, it's quite a flat piece really, wearing it gives it the shape"

D

dacacheman1

just buy a longsleeve turtleneck (tight one) or use spandex. and go to home depot or lowe's or any other home improvement sueprstore and go to the carpet section. i got like 10sq yards of carpet padding for 5 bucks (i knew the guy). reguardless, its cheap stuff, just cut it out in the shape of muscles and sew it to the turtleneck. dont glue it, glue may come off, just do a good job sewing it. do the same with a pair of tight fitting pants. i went to goodwill to find the undergarmets. then get a spandex bodysuit or better yet buy a bolt of spandex from walmart and sew it yourself. then put it on overtop of teh muscle shirt. i found that way works better than buying a $20+ muscle suit costume. thats the budget way, afterall, nobody is going to say, "Hey dude your muscles would have looked a lot better if you'de used liquid latex"