P1 Helmet tutorial restoration! It's BACK!

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Please archive this somewhere!

Here is the original pull, or should I say pull I received from a fellow board member. I can say with authority that this piece is not cast from an Icons casting. Where this piece originated is anyone's guess. After visiting Stan Winston's I can also say that this helmet is a third or fourth generation casting at best.

As you can see from the pull the piece has a few slight problems that I will address with the following mini tutorial.

pmask1.jpg

I made a first pass with the Bondo trying to even up the right side. The eyebrows were sunken and the top left brow was sunken as well. Bondo to the rescue!

You can see in this photo in trying to even out the helmet that the top right eyebrow needed a trim.

pmask2.jpg

Here I trimmed the eyebrow and built out the eyebrows, left eyebrow and trimmed the laser pointer.

pmask3.jpg

Once everything was trimmed I did a final putty coat on the eyes and made sure that the piece was even, at least the face.

Now all of the face is about finished and staring to look like the mask!

pmask5.jpg

pmask6.jpg

pmask7.jpg

Some may say the lines are to crisp, to sharp. You would be correct and I plan on softening the lines like the screen used mask. But a trick I learned in the industry was to leave the hard lines or work toward hard lines. This lets you see the symmetry at work. If everything is soft, you will never see the imperfections in your work.

Next is fixing some major flat spots on the top of the helmet.

So after a full quart of Ultimo (bondo), yes I said a quart, this thing is nearly ready to head to the body shop for final sanding, putty coat and primer.

I am pretty happy with the symmetry of this piece, even though there are some edges to sharpen, the dome and all of the crown came out pretty good.

I reworked the muzzle (again) and I think I have it about where I want it now, there are some subtle shapes at work.

I am going to remove that detail piece on the left side, have it as a drop in once the helmet is painted. I am going to rebuild that hose detail from scratch, that piece is just not up to the challenge!

I decided to show you guys the unprimered piece, so you don't think I was blowing smoke up your azz!

pphelmet1.jpg

pphelmet2.jpg

pphelmet3.jpg

pphelmet4.jpg

pphelmet5.jpg

pphelmet6.jpg

The P1 is all finished and I am now going to hand it over to a body shop friend of mine that will do the final sanding a hole filling. He will also shoot the helmet with a few coats of Dupont Chroma Clear to give the helmet a glass like surface.

Hope you guys like the results. As I finish the detail pieces I will post follow up pictures.

And as I finish Andrew's pieces, maybe he will let me share photos.

When this piece is molded I will post some pics of the final castings as well.

marzp1.jpg

marzp2.jpg

marzp3.jpg

Polished, filled and ready for silicone tomorrow. The ad on parts are also complete and fit very well.

finalp1.jpg

finalp2.jpg

finalp3.jpg

finalp4.jpg

finalp5.jpg

finalp6.jpg

I finally finished my WW2 P1 and hope to get the electronics in soon, I'm lighting the laser pointers and the lenses. I am frosting a clear lense and lighting the edge in a clear blue, should look cool and different.

I have a little story I will post to go with this helmet. If you like this helmet or the quality of the finishing, enter the free giveaway contest and maybe your original design will be a reality!

Thanks for looking!

Paul

Posted by: predatom at: 5/24/04 6:40 pm

SteveB7SFG

Unblooded
Please archive this somewhere!

Here is the original pull, or should I say pull I received from a fellow board member. I can say with authority that this piece is not cast from an Icons casting. Where this piece originated is anyone's guess. After visiting Stan Winston's I can also say that this helmet is a third or fourth generation casting at best.

As you can see from the pull the piece has a few slight problems that I will address with the following mini tutorial.
pmask1.jpg

I made a first pass with the Bondo trying to even up the right side. The eyebrows were sunken and the top left brow was sunken as well. Bondo to the rescue!

You can see in this photo in trying to even out the helmet that the top right eyebrow needed a trim.

pmask2.jpg

Here I trimmed the eyebrow and built out the eyebrows, left eyebrow and trimmed the laser pointer.

pmask3.jpg

Once everything was trimmed I did a final putty coat on the eyes and made sure that the piece was even, at least the face.

Now all of the face is about finished and staring to look like the mask!

pmask5.jpg

pmask6.jpg

pmask7.jpg

Some may say the lines are to crisp, to sharp. You would be correct and I plan on softening the lines like the screen used mask. But a trick I learned in the industry was to leave the hard lines or work toward hard lines. This lets you see the symmetry at work. If everything is soft, you will never see the imperfections in your work.

Next is fixing some major flat spots on the top of the helmet.
So after a full quart of Ultimo (bondo), yes I said a quart, this thing is nearly ready to head to the body shop for final sanding, putty coat and primer.

I am pretty happy with the symmetry of this piece, even though there are some edges to sharpen, the dome and all of the crown came out pretty good.

I reworked the muzzle (again) and I think I have it about where I want it now, there are some subtle shapes at work.

I am going to remove that detail piece on the left side, have it as a drop in once the helmet is painted. I am going to rebuild that hose detail from scratch, that piece is just not up to the challenge!

I decided to show you guys the unprimered piece, so you don't think I was blowing smoke up your azz!
pphelmet1.jpg

pphelmet2.jpg

pphelmet3.jpg

pphelmet4.jpg

pphelmet5.jpg

pphelmet6.jpg

The P1 is all finished and I am now going to hand it over to a body shop friend of mine that will do the final sanding a hole filling. He will also shoot the helmet with a few coats of Dupont Chroma Clear to give the helmet a glass like surface.

Hope you guys like the results. As I finish the detail pieces I will post follow up pictures.

And as I finish Andrew's pieces, maybe he will let me share photos.

When this piece is molded I will post some pics of the final castings as well.

marzp1.jpg

marzp2.jpg

marzp3.jpg

Polished, filled and ready for silicone tomorrow. The ad on parts are also complete and fit very well.

finalp1.jpg

finalp2.jpg

finalp3.jpg

finalp4.jpg

finalp5.jpg

finalp6.jpg

I finally finished my WW2 P1 and hope to get the electronics in soon, I'm lighting the laser pointers and the lenses. I am frosting a clear lense and lighting the edge in a clear blue, should look cool and different.

I have a little story I will post to go with this helmet. If you like this helmet or the quality of the finishing, enter the free giveaway contest and maybe your original design will be a reality!

Thanks for looking!

Paul
Posted by: predatom at: 5/24/04 6:40 pm
Thanks for posting those photos, Excellent excellent work there! :)
Enter me in that contest! LOL
Sweet looking bio, can't wait to see the finished product!

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
Thanks for posting those photos, Excellent excellent work there! :)
Enter me in that contest! LOL
Sweet looking bio, can't wait to see the finished product!
No Offense here, but does anybody even read the Thread Titles anymore or do they just look at the pictures. TMI is putting up old archived posts so new members can see what the Lair was up to years ago. This thread was from 2004...there is no contest. The Bio has been finished for over three years

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Yup - that it is. The "Porsche" has very defined lines...easy to spot. I prefer the softer lines of the original P1 myself...

WarpedFX

Hunter
I actually like both. although the softer lines are more accurate, I find the harder lines simply more "realistic". more "machined" and made for its purpose than an artpiece. GREAT piece... I wish i had one. this is in fact one of my fave bios because a lot of them have a high domed head which imo is inaccurate to the movie. this one doesn't.

inkmonster

Hunter
i have 2 of them one still unpainted and another that i got out a nice file and sandpaper and made it look more like the original. i thought it looked too perfect, although it is a nice bio. its nice to see how the porchee bio came to be.