P1 lifesize head sculpt (wip)

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by Mx10, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Mx10

Mx10 Unblooded

So I started this project quiet a while ago and after two years of not being able to work too much on it, mainly because of life getting in the way (and a good amount of procrastination:whistle:).Today I finally got around to being close to finishing the sculpt, but before attempting to mold it, I just wanted to share the sculpt in here to see if the lair approves it :D and also to ask for some advice on how to make a two-part mold for a latex predator head (head+ mandibles) since its my first attempt at this and I have already found some horror stories about molding on other forums..
    IMG_20180323_151044482_zpsuk5kkedi.jpg IMG_20180323_150847807%201_zpsxicwj9ie.jpg IMG_20180323_151017732_zpsm3m22hjx.jpg IMG_20180323_150959881_zpsnfabpqd8.jpg

Fayne, Vebo1, predtrooper and 2 others like this.
  2. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Absolutley amazing job on the sculpt!!!!
    Regarding molding, you'll want to remove all teeth, and the bottom mandibles (I used dental floss to get very clean cuts for the mandibles) and mold them separately in silicone to cast in resin. For the rest of the head you'll want to do a stone or resin 2 piece mold. Stone makes latex cure faster, but the resin mold will hold details longer.
    Hope that was helpful :)

Fayne and Shogun like this.
  3. Tallon

Tallon Blooded

Oh, Nick, you've finally found a 1:1 scale soulmate sculptor :p:p:p

Incredible work Mx10!!! :D:D:D(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Shogun likes this.
  4. Mx10

Mx10 Unblooded

Thanks for the kind words guys :D still need to fix some things on the sculpt before I can call it finished.
    Never heard of a resin mold, I always thought stone was the only way to go, but resin seems like a better material overall, so I guess I will have to search more about it.
    Thanks for the help!!(y)

Shogun and LunaticNic like this.
  5. Shogun

Shogun Hunter

Mx10 MAN MAN MAN this is a awesome skill you have there... are you sure you havent been working on Stan WInston school :p (joke) keep it up my friend Yautja :D we want to see your progress

Mx10 and LunaticNic like this.
  6. Mx10

Mx10 Unblooded

Ok first of all, thanks shogun your comment really motivated me to continue this project :D

It took a while but I changed the texture in the whole head, made it a little wider and reworked the eyes. It´s still far from being movie accurate but the sculpt its finally ready to be molded :D.Here are some pics I took today (added the black pupils in photoshop:whistle:)
    IMG_20180416_191032136_zpseewbb8n6.jpg IMG_20180416_191032135_zpseozieork.jpg
    I have seen people on the internet always make the mold line along the top of the crown but I was worried that the holes for the dreads at the sides of the head will make it difficult to separate the mold without risking damaging it. Has someone had this problem before or is it just me being too much of a noob and worring too much:p?

7. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Looking absolutely phenomenal Mx10!!!

Regarding the molding question, I haven't had an issue separating the two mold halves due to splitting it at the crown. The main reason it's done there (to my knowledge) is due to the fact that a seam line is created when casting. And with it going along the crown of the head it's not very noticable, and can be removed without fear of damaging detailed areas.

Tallon, Mx10 and Shogun like this.
  8. Tallon

Tallon Blooded

Nick is the best person to talk to because he probs makes the Yautja all their huge statues anyway :)

LunaticNic and Shogun like this.
  9. Giles

Giles Blooded

Check out this youtube video for making a stone mould. If i remember correctly this predator was called Goliath. Pretty useful video and of a Predator as well.

Mx10, LunaticNic and Shogun like this.
  10. monkey5150

monkey5150 Blooded

wow that was an impressive build, what ever happened to it?

Shogun likes this.
  11. Fayne

Fayne Blooded

I'm saving these pics for reference. astounding work.