P1 Stunt Bio-Helmet Cleanup

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Jason and I have really been digging into this a bit and I am SUPER excited about the work he is doing! While I am completely frustrated by the lack of decent reference, I have the utmost confidence that Jason it taking the details in a great direction. He has a great base to work on and a lot of work to do, but I think the end result will be stunning.
 

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Thanks Art - its gonna be fun thats for sure! Brad and I ran into the same roadblock when we tried to look for reference pics of the laser shroud and hose assembly...there just aren't any clear pictures taken from the side. Oh well...I have enough here to at least work with and then with a bit of luck we might get it to look as screen used as possible.

Funny thing is that while I was working on my two, I thot to myself how fun it would be to try it a third time to change a couple things that I missed, so this is a great opportunity
 

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Had a bit more time to work on this. I cut out the hole for the laser/wiring:
Img_1994.jpg


Cut out some PVC pipe and then shaped it using a heat gun and a thick pair of leather gloves:
Img_2006.jpg


Added the Apoxie:
Img_2011.jpg


Img_2012.jpg


Next up: sanding the Apoxie
 

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I don't think I could be more happy with what Jason is doing with this helmet. I definitely got the right guy for the job because this is a TOUGH build! Jason is showing the patience of a saint as we hammer through some really complex shapes on a piece that had VERY little reference!
 

Justin

Blooded
Wow, what a great read this thread has been...

I'm enthused about this piece just by reading up on what Art and Jay have been doing with it, and I've got nothing to do with it!

Awesome piece so far. I don't think it could've been handled by anyone better here on the lair.

Keep us posted!
 

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
The one thing that Art wanted was for this Bio to be as screen accurate as possible. If you look at the backside of the laser housing, you'll notice that its been completely removed. Art knew that the screen used Bio had a hole in the back to allow for the tri-laser assembly to slide in and out of there since it was attached to the head - not the Bio helmet. So although it looks odd without a teardrop shape or without the back closed off, it is more accurate to how the original one looked. Getting the shape of the laser shroud was difficult because there are very few clear pictures, but thanks to Art and the reference pics, I think we were able to get it as close as possible.

Working on the tri-hose assembly now...no pics yet, but hopefully tomorrow or Friday.
 

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Art is a slave driver...workin me to the bone! Haha, just kidding - Art is awesome...he and I share the same meticulous eye for detail and I love it. Nuff jibba jabba - here is the left temple tri-hose assembly. There were very few clear shots, but I went with these photos:

Img_2381.jpg


I sculpted the shape with Sculpey:

Img_2380.jpg


Slowly and carefully dremeled out the fins:

Img_2388.jpg


Here's a quick pic of it sitting in the temple:

Img_2395.jpg
 

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
The fins were dremeled out because I don't have a file that thin to get in there. Don't worry tho - that piece isn't glued in and I have another idea to sand down the inner edges so that they are completely straight :)
 

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
I use Sculpey clay that hardens when baked:
sculpey.jpg


For everything else I use Apoxie Sculpt because it bonds to resin, has a play time of a couple hours and is rock hard when it cures:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top