P2 Lost Hunter Fun - SCULPT - Update 11/23

M

MEANGENE83

I am posting these up only cuz i think maybe this will help some of the newbies here in their quest to get into and perfect their skills here.

This below is a sculpture of the P2 Chest and back armor.
Note: There is no shoulder pauldron at this point, that will be sculpted and cast after this is complete.

CLAY USED: WED CLAY
DUCT TAPE DUMMY of my torso with arms cut off.
I cut the arms off for ease of turnining it around and also so i could pull a industrial black garbage back over it to keep it from drying out.

What i need and hope i can get from everyone here is some help.
I am not just posting these for fun I wanna try and see if maybe some people will get involved and help me out.

The only thing i need is YOUR INPUT. Dont tell me it looks good, I KNOW IT DOES!!!
Let me know what You may like to see, post some screencaps that shed some light on this armor. Tell me this aint gonna work, tell me it aint wide enough. Show me something i am not seeing!

I just wanna see the lair get that OLD SCHOOL LETS TALK ABOUT PROPS discussion going.

If not oh well.
It just seems to me we need some alternative to Flame Wars and recaster threads. The put a damper on this place and the hobby.

So lets all obsesses over the ridiculous toys we play with.

DO IT UP AMIGOS!!

p2sculptbackchest007.jpg

p2sculptbackchest006.jpg

p2sculptbackchest005.jpg

p2sculptbackchest004.jpg

p2sculptbackchest003.jpg

p2sculptbackchest002.jpg

p2sculptbackchest001.jpg

The chest will be molded with silicone in probably two parts.

I guees i will mold it the front half and back half seperately. I do not see a mold of this things as ONE PIECE working at all.

It will be cast in FIBERGLASS just like the original!!!! Cool aye?

M

Maverick118

Looks like you're on your way mate, but wait for the clay to stiffen up before carving details, you want it to feel almost like leather before you add things like that. Oh and rake the surface too, and use a foam sponge to help smooth things out too. I make armour look like it would brand new before adding dents dings and blast marks to it now. It justs adds a little extra to it. Post up more pics, this WIP is going to be cool to follow.

Y

yautja clone

Not sure how Movie Accurate your trying for Gene, but I think at this point its looking good.

I do however think your a little wide on the right side of the chest, ( see pic below ). And , I think the overall thickness of the piece could be thinned down a bit more.

fix.jpg

And...The center Medallion need a little reshaping too.
med.jpg

M

MEANGENE83

Maverick - What kinda sponge do you use to smooth it out? Just a regular dish washing sponge? Thats a cool idea i am glad u mentioned it. I usually just rake the surface to smooth i down.

Ron - You are right about that width of that side. Funny thing is that i already downsized it twice already.

Its funny how when you stare at something for SO LONG you loose your critical eye.

Thats another reason why i posted pics.

P

pirkleations

There's a lot of texture on the P2 armor. Be sure you get all of the yummy weathering into the chest plates. I'll check my reference stuff and do some more serious critiqeing.

~DangerDavey

M

MEANGENE83

Thanks Pirk. I will make sure i do that.

How do you know the original was made of hard rubber? If ya dont mind me asking...

I guees its possible they where, i was only speaking of the original being fiberglass based on an assumption. In a picture of a screen used chest / back armor it was definitly fiberglass. Or some type of resin.

P

predmandb

It was hard rubber ,the guy who owns it mentioned that.

T

The Big Gunns

What was hard rubber- the skin or the mold?

Gene- wow that looks really stupid and inaccurate I keed!
I will see if I can dig up some P2 pics for ya. Be sure to check out Larrys site. He's got a really cool P2 statue that he painted.

~Mel

Z

Zealwing

The Predators suits from stan winston and most of the guys here, are made of casting latex, Stan winstons predators are foam latex.

The AVP 2 crew used seperte pieces out of fiber-glass and I belive some foam for there predators in AVP. and Gene your sculpt is looking real good

K

kithunter

nice piece so far gene,

here are some shots that might help with texture.
pred2_armor_sm_20.jpg

pred2_armor_sm_19.jpg

pred2_armor_sm_16.jpg

S

sinister70

Yes Gene, it does look good. However if I may? I guess that the medpack on the back of your armour is only roughed out at present, but I reckon from my observation of your sculpt that the curved plates are standing too proud of one another and need to sit closer together. I know this has been mentioned too but you should allow the clay to dry out somewhat before adding detail as at present it looks as though it was too soft when you started to dig in and carve out the reptillian hide pattern. Just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers

M

Maverick118

I use a variety of sponges Gene, it's a bit like sanding, if I want a really smooth glassy finish I'll go all the way down to a really fine celled make up type sponge, I'm not going to take credit for this though it was DavidYr1 who told me about this technique. I have to agree with Ron on this it does seem a bit thick. I'd go with a latex piece if this is for a costume that will see a lot of action, the fibrglass will wear awy the paint job on the body suit after time, you could always make a nice fibre glass version for display though.

M

MoviesColin

Looks good, you just need a little bit of re-shaping here and there.

Yeah, the original was most likely fiberglass. The P2's armor was mostly seperate, and made in fiberglass so they could install electronics easier.

They said that making the whole thing in foam rubber for P1 was a mistake...

C

CyberPred

AAAAAAA. Why does everything have to be "Movie Accurate"?

I would rather see someone design their own piece.

Looks good Gene. Obviously you are roughing it out.

Make it your way. No need to copy someone elses.

Cary

S

Shataan

Go figure. I myself find movie accurate stuff way more appealing. There are a few non movie accurate suits done that are sweet. But very few.

J

JediUsurper

Looks good Gene, personally im a fan of both film replicas and unique designs.
both have their own valid points and at leat you can always say "its mine"
hey and another thought you wont be accussed of casting someone elses work hehe.

C

carlart

Gene---nice work, amigo! One of these days I'll take the water based plunge.
Andy---are those pix from the original suit from the film? I was under the impression the armor was sculpted onto the creature suit like it was in the first film.

carlart

M

MEANGENE83

hey guys. Thanks for all the support.

But to clarify a few things, the sculpt is just bare bones shapes right now. I did not attempt ANY detailing at all.

What i am trying to accomplish is just to get eerything where it should and lined up where it needs to be.

All i need right now is basic structures.
I am nowhere NEAR doing any detailing.

I have some progress to show on the CHEST BUCKLE.
ROn has been tutoring me on it and helping me alot.

I am also trying to research what to make these out of.

I have contemplated doing castings made from Casting latex and adding some thickener. The stuff that MONSTERMAKERS sells.

But either way i will mold this with silicone and produce a fiberglass master from it.

Also i have 180 pics from P2 SCREEN CAPS i got all myself. I will be uploading them to my webspace soon. Good thing about them is they are all named according to what is pictured in the SCREENCAP. So it should prove pretty useful.