Paint Details

Bovine13

Hunter
Greetings to all who read this. I am doing three AVP style suits for myself and two friends. I have been in the Haunted House and Halloween costume game for about 8 years and have a so so effects background. I have never done a project with this much detail, the haunt biz is usually low light so great detail doesnt really get seen. Scare em and get em out. I need some suggestions on the painting order for the Pred muscle suits, i.e. viens, spots, color order, light to dark, which colors to use, etc. I am addicted to this site. Everyone here seems very knowledgable and willing to help. Any help is accepted with open arms. Thanks for all your time.

drgnfyre4

Hunter
I would suggest having a look in the completed suit thread that has over 100 members suits that have been painted and completed. That might give you some inspiration for variation on the body colorations. As for order of paint application I think a lot of folks base coat, do viens, shadeing,spots then fades. I am sure there are many people here who will chime in with much more detailed methods. Good luck to you!

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Well the AVP predator is the easiest to paint. They did not put alot of detail into the body suits and the mask.
1. put on the viens and some spots right onto the mask.
2. place your base coat on top of that. I use an off white with some yellow mixed in.
3. Start with the lightest colors first. yellow to brown to black
4. Mix some perma-wet with some red iron oxide and spray over and around the spoted area. This will help blend in all the work.
5. Plain Perma-wet
Thats pretty much the steps now its up to you to figure out how to paint it in your own way.

Bovine13

Hunter
Thank you both for the quick response and pointers. Is it best to do a light soap and water prep or is there a cleaning solution to prep the mask?

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Always clean your suffices before painting. I use MEK it will clean everything. Resin pieces might still have mold release on them so paint will not stick to them and will bead up.

Bovine13

Hunter
MEK? Wow, i use that stuff in my line of work every week. I thought it would be way to strong. Ill take your word for it, you guys are the experts.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I love MEK it works for cleaning everything. I have used MEK and Dap weldwood glue to paint masks with. Make sure you do all of this in a well ventilated area.

carlart

Hunter
Methyl Ethyl Keytone----nasty stuff. I remember using Carbon Tetra-Chloride to clean stuff like it was water. That was before I found out it was a known carcinogen. There's got to be as-good, less-harmful cleaners out there.
carlart