Painting Predator 1 - Unknown Kit

Wolfinlied

Unblooded
I went to melbourne recently to pick up a car and stayed in city centre. On my travels through the busy tram filled streets i found a shop called Minotaur. Not ever being to the city before i have never set foot into a store like this. So i rushed across the street to go into the store, narrowly being missed by a tram painted to look like a giant Chocolate Mars bar. Inside i found limitless amounts of anime, comics, graphic novels, starwars, marvel and capcom characters, and of course Predator.

I told him i was looking for a cheap kit and he told me frankly that there was no such thing as a cheap one, although he did have a vinyl kit out the back because it was warped and he couldnt sell it. I took a quick look at it and saw it was a definatly warped predator 1, looked like it would be just under 3ft tall. I said id take it.

Once getting home i sat with my new found joy and pulled out my weapon (mum's hairdryer) and set about reshaping this poor neglected pred. I spent about 3 hours heating him up and dunking him in buckets of water until he started somewhat to resemble the shape he should have been.

He now has his torso attached to his legs and his gaps have been puttied and one arm is attached. I gave him an undercoat of black except for the very top of his head and face and decided that i would write up a quick painting guide on how i have painted my predator. I will also be listing the colours i used, as i am using warhammer paints and i know those are pretty much widely available around the world.

So hopefully soon, ill be able to help those of you needing detailed pictures of all pred 1's features. Now im not the best painter but im not that bad. So stay tuned!!

Wolfinlied

Unblooded
PREDATORS HANDS

LEFT

Ok the first thing i painted on predator's hands was the "armor" or leather pieces which form a kind of glove. I've noticed on some predator pictures others have posted of models that they have done the gloves either grey, black or silver. Silver implying it being more like metal armor, which i feel would make the predator look like he cant use his fingers because as we all know metal armor doesn't tend to bend well.. if at all.

So I've painted my predators gloves to resemble leather and i used the warhammer colour SCORCHED BROWN see pictures below.

PICT0238.JPG

PICT0241.JPG

inkmonster

Hunter
i reconize the hands if its the big predator kit that i think it is and made from vinyl its a recast of the former big time kits predator. i hope that you filled the kit with foam cause a vinyl kit of that size will colapse on itself over time. and make shure you dont use any enamel based primers or paints on it. they will eat away at the vinyl and in some cases you can come back 6 months later and the paint will still be wet. ive had it happen acidently used a enamel based primer instead of a laquer based and 2 months later it was still wet do to the chemical reaction with the vinyl.

Wolfinlied

Unblooded
I never use enamel paints, i just dont like them. As for colapsing on itself i know what you mean but this one is quite thick, and i've dropped it on my foot so i think im going to be okay in that area. As for the model, that sounds like it may be it. I moreso made the thread for a painting technique guide as well as showing off my model.

More done on his hands:

After i applied a few coats of SCORCHED BROWN, i use one of my favourite paints called FLESH WASH. It's like an ink that can be used for so many things ie; Making my predators glove look older and a little tatty. Its also really good for the stained teeth look. Ive used it alot in all my model painting days. Pictures below show the stained glove.

PICT0246.JPG

PICT0248.JPG

Wolfinlied

Unblooded
The next thing i did to the hand was paint all his nails with BLEACHED BONE. You will need to do a few coats if you use black undercoat like i do, i think i did about 3 coats. Then again i got out my favourite paint FLESH WASH. Start by making a ring around the base of the claw and make it fairly dark then just quickly move the very tip of a tiny brush back and forth the nails so it leaves small lines. See the before and after pictures below.

PICT0252.JPG

PICT0253.JPG

PICT0256.JPG

Wolfinlied

Unblooded
After i did all that i finished off the glove by paint the metal parts ontop with BOLTGUN METAL as the chain mail in warhammer paint is too bright. I then started painting his palms with BLEACHED BONE. I also painted up the fingers and a small amount on the knuckles.

PICT0249.JPG

PICT0250.JPG

PICT0251.JPG

PICT0252.JPG

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I have some gremlins that are bending out of shape because I did not follow ink instructions. I have to to keep reheating them and bend them back to shape all the time. I think I might have to drill some hole in the bottom of the feet and fill them with something.

Wolfinlied

Unblooded
well i might cram some plaster of paris in him, it will make him heavy but at least i know he will stay. Someone ever suggested sand but if not packed tight enough he will still move.

Ill try the plaster, you think?

inkmonster

Hunter
dan the resin version of the kits is sold by the doll hobby shop now but was originaly made by a company called big time. the vinyl versions are asian recasts. wolfinlied a vinyl kit that size will colapse on itself just being in the sunlight even though it was a pretty thick casting of the vinyl. i have the screamin hellraiser kits and the channard kit i had to fill the snake with foam and the kits at the very least pack them full of crumpled up newspaper. trust me they will start to colapse over time. especially a kit that size. that one i would recomend filling with mountian in minutes or frothpack. and leave a small hole for the foam to excape while its curing. if you use the foam in can like greatstuff do it a little at a time to let it cure so it doesnt trap moisture in it.

Faken

Hunter
dan the resin version of the kits is sold by the doll hobby shop now but was originaly made by a company called big time. the vinyl versions are asian recasts. wolfinlied a vinyl kit that size will colapse on itself just being in the sunlight even though it was a pretty thick casting of the vinyl. i have the screamin hellraiser kits and the channard kit i had to fill the snake with foam and the kits at the very least pack them full of crumpled up newspaper. trust me they will start to colapse over time. especially a kit that size. that one i would recomend filling with mountian in minutes or frothpack. and leave a small hole for the foam to excape while its curing. if you use the foam in can like greatstuff do it a little at a time to let it cure so it doesnt trap moisture in it.
Yep I know :)

Btw, Doll and hobby no longer own these.. they are being re-tooled and re-produced by a new vendor very soon - D&H sold the rights to it.

Wolfinlied

Unblooded
Yeah the originals are solid resin, not vinyl... i actually need to update my site with that info one of these days LOL!
Can i get some places to buy pred models? im getting a glass cabinet for my bday and i only have 1 model and some minatures to put in it!

Faken

Hunter
Can i get some places to buy pred models? im getting a glass cabinet for my bday and i only have 1 model and some minatures to put in it!
Depends on what you are looking for, and very soon I will be selling original kits through my site... in fact I just put in my first order with my distributor and I am busy working on plans for the online shop :)

Dan