painting question

N

NightSlayer666

ok i know ya gotta use latex paint and prosaide, and clear coat to paint a latex costume piece, but heres the question, why wont latex paint from lets say home depot work? I mean you have quite a variety of colors to choose from, its in gallon sizes, not too expensive. and seems to me that its the same as the monster makers latex paint. Anyone know the answer????????

A

acerhater

From what I understand you can use acrylic paints. Use a a mix of 50% acylic paint, 25% Pros-Aide and 25% distilled water for airbrushing. I had also heard you can subtitute the distilled water with windex.

P

pirkleations

From what I have heard, latex paint from a hardware store only has a fraction of "latex" actually in the mixture. If you paint a flexible, rubber, or stretchy surface such as a mask or body suit with household latex paint, it will break apart, crack and peel very rapidly, depending on how thick you plan to paint it on.

Not sure how well it would work in a small airbrush....

DangerDavey

T

The Mortal Immortal

I use latex paint base and liquitex pigment. Latex base is pure latex thinned down with pure ammonia (not the stuff you get at the store). Take 1 8 oz bottle and 1 2oz bottle of liquitex concentrate and fill the rest with latex paint base. If it to thick you can use 1/2 bottle of liquitex and the rest latex paint base. Prosaide works great too but it drys tacky so it needs a seal coat. Most people use perma wet for final coat its clear. Do not use acrylic lacquer spray paint to paint latex suit or mask. This will harden, crack, and also dry rot the latex before its time. Latex Paint from the hardware store are uselly oil base. Oil will break down the latex. Thats why you should always light soap and wash after using any masks, gloves, or suit (body oils). Always use babypowder to keep the latex dry of oils and safe from dry rot.

I know there are people that will disagree with some of things I wrote. So NightSlayer666 ask the professional. Email or call the Mask Dr

"Mask DR"
The major enemies of all latex masks are:

Perspiration- It contains oil, and oil rots rubber.

Petroleum- Any kind of oil, Vaseline, or solvent, dissolves latex.

Sunlight- UV rays and ultraviolet. They also make rubber brittle.

Heat- Heat will bake out the natural moisture rubber needs.

Crushing- If folded, and under pressure, masks will crease.

Age- Any mask, no matter how you baby it, will eventually rot.

If you wear your masks, please be careful to clean them well on the inside as well as the outside. A washcloth with a mild soap solution, followed by a water wipe and dry will remove any perspiration, saliva, and make-up. When dry, you should follow this with a light dusting of baby powder inside to help keep it dry.

M

ManTroon

just curious, I have no idea on flexible paints on latex, but what about rubber cement paints?

T

The Mortal Immortal

Rubber cement is an excellent paint medium for flexible rubber masks. It has been used for many, many years for just this purpose. Rubber cement is typically thinned with hexane or bestine. The mixture is VERY hazardous to your lungs and nervous system. You should only work with rubber cement using proper ventilation and a working respirator with organic filters. Rubber cement drys tacky as well and it needs a finish coat like Prosaide does.

S

ScottAS

I use cheap Apple paints or any Walmart or craft store acrylic paints. I mix it to 1/2 casting latex
1/4 acrylic paint or universal tinting colors
1/4 water or more depending on how tempermental your airbrush is. Don't use rubber cement unless you have a spray booth! Very toxic, have only heard horror stories from people who have used it.

P

PredatoRob

I used some hobby store acrylic paints for these puppies. What I did was lay down a thin coat of prosaide first, then mixed alcohol with my paint and went from there. So far no cracking except on the right hand. But that was due to using too much paint. Eh, beginners mistake. Nothing too serious though.

Thorn2.jpg

Hands2.jpg

M

ManTroon

Thanks for the info guys. I have read a far few tutorials on airbrushing with rubber cement, but never read anything about how toxic it is, you guys saved me a trip to the ER!

So, now rubber cement is not an option (even if i took precautions I don't want to end up poisoning my neighbours, well one of them at least), so any viable alternatives that yeild the same results, prosaide, PAX (although i hear thats practically the same thing). Basically is there a good flexible substance i could use for flexibility when mixed with something like fx inks?

Tsk tsk tsk, sooo many questions.

S

Savage Yautja

How about applying Pro Adhesive to an area and airbrushing over it with the paint. It should have no problem sticking. Otherwise mix the Pro Adhesive and paint with distilled water or Windex and spray this with an airbrush. I don't believe Pro Adhesve is toxic as I 've used it with no ill effects. It doesn't stink and it's easy to tell when it ready to paint over. Once all the painting is done just seal it with a few coats of Krylon Clear acrylic sealer available at Hobby Lobby.

N

NightSlayer666

Ok now when you say pro adhesive do you mean something like elmers spray adhesive? Cuz i can get that stuff anywhere,it dries clear, doesnt get you very high, dries tacky until it cures for a few hours, and even then its still abit tacky. if yes is the case then, wahoo for me!!!

S

ShockWolF

Now this topic appeals to me because Ive just ordered a new latex Undermask so Im wondering what to use as I have never painted latex before...

Has anyone ever tried using the Games Workshop Citadel Miniature paints? They are acrylic and I find them very user friendly when painting small models. Just wondering before I try it.

And what good options are there for undercoating on latex before using acrylics?

M

Maverick118

You could use plain old acrylic paints, but the paint job wouldn't last long before peeling and pulling away from the latex. That's the reason you mix it with latex or rubber cement as it enable sit to bind to the latex, especially the rubber cement as it takes a "bite" brom it to adhere but's very noxious and you'd need to paint wearing a respirator with an organic compound rated filter in and in a well ventilated room. You could use a coat of Pros-aide as a base and paint on that, Larry or Mel are probably the best to ask as they're very experienced at this.