Painting Techniques

IROCTHISZ28

Unblooded
So I was searching around and found a ton of threads showing painted suits and such. But no build up threads on paint layering and painting teeth and such. I know this comes from experience and trial and error, but was wondering if there was a possible thread with useful hints and techniques how to do such things. Perhaps people have certain videos or How-to pages that got them started or in the right direction? Figured it might be helpful to share on the lair for people just getting into the hobby

TRI LASER

Hunter
I think PredatrHuntr has some threads on how he paints masks and suits. But not sure if he goes into detail on every part. Myself I have only ever painted over resin not latex so no idea how to use Pros aide and stuff like that.

There are more ways then just 1. Everybody has his own technique.

The way how i do it(i'm just a noob with it)
*washing the latex parts and let it dry.
*aply with a brush Prosaide on the latex and let it 'dry'. It stays 'stacky'
* time to paint.
* when you are done painting the parts you can apply Permawet too seal you paintwork and your are done.
Don't brush the Permawet on the paint!!!!!!
http://predatorium.com/threads/huntorial-permawet-for-noobs-by-a-noob.18279/

Lowdmekon

Hunter
There are more ways then just 1. Everybody has his own technique.

The way how i do it(i'm just a noob with it)
*washing the latex parts and let it dry.
*aply with a brush Prosaide on the latex and let it 'dry'. It stays 'stacky'
* time to paint.
* when you are done painting the parts you can apply Permawet too seal you paintwork and your are done.
Don't brush the Permawet on the paint!!!!!!
http://predatorium.com/threads/huntorial-permawet-for-noobs-by-a-noob.18279/
One for the back burner for when I do my airbrushing. Can you get a satin or matt perma coat?

predatoj

Blooded
I don't know about anybody else but I buy the Stan Winston School online lessons. Steve Wang does a good one as does Tim Gore and Casey Love. I have both lessons. Everything you'd ever want to know about painting techniques.

Lowdmekon. I'm not sure but I think Permawet is an American brand. Liquitex is more available here in the UK. And they come in Matt, satin, gloss and super high gloss. Moreover you can mix them together for different finishes and they are light-fast.

Lowdmekon

Hunter
I don't know about anybody else but I buy the Stan Winston School online lessons. Steve Wang does a good one as does Tim Gore and Casey Love. I have both lessons. Everything you'd ever want to know about painting techniques.

Lowdmekon. I'm not sure but I think Permawet is an American brand. Liquitex is more available here in the UK. And they come in Matt, satin, gloss and super high gloss. Moreover you can mix them together for different finishes and they are light-fast.
Cheers buddy, have you got a link, as I'm not to sure which ones I'm looking at on the Liquitex website

IROCTHISZ28

Unblooded
Personally I'm having issue with the teeth. I can't seem to get the colors right with the blending I am doing. Looking up some videos on how to paint bone so that should help a bit although the majority are pretty vague

NeoKazama

Hunter
A while back while building a suit for David (DHB) I made a quick tutorial on how I layered the colors on a P1.

"Ok guys so I just finished the front of the torso and I just wanted to explain a bit the process I do :

I start with a base sand color, then I lower the PSI in my compressor to create a splatter pattern (or you can use a 1 inch brush or tooth brush and use the finger flickering technique). I use magenta, burnt umber, and deep blue with that technique. Also i do some veining with a "0" and "1" brush ( I used to use the airbrush but i notice that i have better control with the brushes.) For veining I use a purple gray and reds.

I use a burnt amber and burnt sienna and try to draw small noodle patterns all over the skin. Also I start making some of the first black spots, Try not to fall into one same shape for the spots, try to make it as natural as possible and use different shapes. (BE PATIENT) this part takes a LOT of time.

Do some spots using browns, that will break a bit the black spots and make the skin look a bit more natural. Paint all the armor with a black base. Using a reference picture, spray sepia or a dark brown where the brown undertones as shown in the reference picture.

Using a sponge apply silver but take excess off with a paper towel, once all armor is done I make a mix of alclad mirror aluminum and deep blue and using a brush hit some of the corners and parts where armor got damaged. Do the same with just the pure alclad but focus more on the damage and add scratches with it. Dry brush some gold ink on some flat (undamaged) parts of the armor NOT TOO MUCH.

Finally spray a bit of black over the armor to give it a dirt look to it. (on parts like backpack, cannon, gauntlets I add a bit of light burnt umber to give a more mechanical look) Bring colors together with a light coat umber over all the skin.

Seal your work with Liquitex varnish hi gloss ( I know some of you would say that why would you use gloss on a metallic part like armor and no a matte finish??, but I have a couple suits under my sleeve and with rubber inks I notice that hi gloss last longer than matte, so there is your answer lol)

I use a 1 inch brush to apply the varnish and i do 2 coats."

I hope this help you a bit.

-Chris

Photos:

2013-02-09 18.00.58.jpg

2013-02-10 11.11.45.jpg

2013-02-17 12.41.08.jpg

DHB2.jpg

DHB.jpg

2013-02-17 15.44.39 (1).jpg

2013-02-17 15.44.39.jpg

2013-02-17 15.58.42.jpg

2013-02-17 15.58.55.jpg

2013-02-17 15.59.10.jpg

2013-02-17 15.59.18.jpg

2013-02-17 15.59.31.jpg

2013-02-17 16.00.04.jpg

487569_553163194703962_1314053458_n_zps0a0fd009.jpg

Lowdmekon

Hunter
Cheers Buddy, I've been collecting ways of painting skins and I think I'll be following this meathod closly. Have you got any pics of the noddeling