paints/paint mixes?

P

PhantomSniper801

I'm interested to know what methods/paints you all use to paint your suits/masks? I haven't found anything that works for me without peeling or cracking.
let me know how you mix your paints etc.
thanks guys!

S

Shataan

Do a good search and read all the threads here too while ya wait. I have read quite a few threads with paint ideas.

A

alpha pred

HI! I use acrylic paint mixed with 25% clear coat. Liquitex paint is good stuff. I then spray 2 light coats of clear, and one heavy coat of clear to finish off the job! I dont know if any paint combo is really all that permanent like automotive paint. The paint used on latex has to expand sooooo much that ovet time it will need repair after an extended use. There are many methods of painting...this style has worked for me so far!! Hope this helps out some!! Later.

T

The Mortal Immortal

I like using latex base mixed liquitex paint or inks. After it is painted you don't need to seal it like pros-aide. If you want a nice shinny look to it you can use perma-wet.

One draw back to using latex base, if not fully cured one little scratch can cause a big problem. That problem being you can pull all the paint right back off.

Pros-aide is another good choice and I would mix it with liquitex paint or inks. With pro-aide you need to seal it with pera-wet. Only draw back to this is, if not fully sealed and the paint grab onto other paint it will pull it off.

I find that both of these are great flexible painting mediums and have no beef between the two.

Just don't use plain acrylic paints on a highly bendable object or seal it with acrylic clear. This will crack and can cause you latex to dry out and crack as well.

A better alterative for a cheap clear coat is plasti drip clear in a spray can.

P

PhantomSniper801

what do you all use to thin out the pros aid?
I've heard of Rubber cement paints, is this about the same?

P

proffessor pie head

stipple a base layer of plain pros aide beta bond or any b type prosthetic adhesive all over the subject then paint or airbrush with f.w. acrylics 1pt f.w. ink to 10 pts isopropyl alcohol ( available at maplins in the uk or drugstores and art stores in the u.s) the pros aide works as a flexible primer that will allow subsequent coats of colour to adhear and become very flexible. hope that helps. check out a website called the f.x. lab youll learn loads.

I

inkdoctor

no you usually leave it tacky. and from what i hear after its dry each time you use the paint mixed with the alcohol it will get tacky again.