Pasadena IMATS weekend.

DAVIDYR1

Hunter
For now, all I have are the Trade Show pics...I'll have more from the 'vacation' part of our trip later on....

The International Make Up Artist Trade Show showcases everything in the make up world ranging from beauty make up to prosthetics and application.
A while back Chavant invited me to scupt and do some hands on clay work at their booth for this years show, an invite I proudly accepted btw...so I brought my DKR bust down...but had to totally redo the face as it got crushed in my luggage for the flight down....:\

I helped Chavant set up their booth on Friday, and the show started Saturday morning. Almost right into it, I figured it best to work from outside of the booth rather than inside looking out. This way, not only could the people there actually see what I was doing with my sculpture, but being right there on the floor made it real easy for people to stop and ask questions I guess...I was there as a sculptor and to give my thoughts on all the Chavant products...I wanted those interested to feel absolutely no pressure, so when some asked 'how to?' questions regarding sculpting...I just handed them the appropriate tools and said 'OK..carve into my sculpture like this, then do that...' and so on. I left half my DKR head in a sort of finished state and left the other side for trials and so on for the general public.

I wanted to give each and everyone there a chance to try to product out, and advice on how to judge which clay would be better suited to their needs and abilities.

The whole weekend was a lot of fun, and I truly am grateful to Chavant for giving me this opportunity to work with them.

Once the show ended Sunday evening, and we had taken the booth apart and packed it up, we had dinner with one of the Smooth-On rep's and my good friend Guy who was there promoting his Fuse FX paint.

I met a lot of new faces from the message board world, saw a few old friends, and one of the show highlights was meeting Dick Smith. He's very kind and a very sharp guy. He was courteous, and was kind enough to comment on my work there and give a look at my book. A very very nice guy, and... a bit of a dream come true for me to be able to meet and talk to him.:)

Another high point was meeting the creator of the TV show FLASH costume. He saw my suit and proceeded to tell us about how they made the actual TV show suit. It really was a great conversation full of laughs, revelations of 'oh yeeaaa...that makes sense' when discussing the construction of the real suit and so on. Great times..and I hope to hear from him in the near future.

OK..enough blabbing...
Here's a few pics...courtesy of Damian. :)

Untitled-22.jpg

Untitled-19.jpg

Untitled-17.jpg

Untitled-16.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled-15.jpg

Untitled-12.jpg

Untitled-21.jpg

Untitled-28.jpg

And here's Damian. Oh BTW, I'm just a little under 5'10"...yes, Damian makes his presence known wherever he goes. :)

Untitled-27.jpg

Untitled-26.jpg

Untitled-25.jpg

Damian it was just a blast seeing you again. Both you and Amanda were great hosts and it really is a shame we only get to hang out a few times a year. I look forward to DC so we can do this all over again my friend!!!!!

Amanda invited Rimma and I over to Dreamworks studio for lunch... and what I can only describe as a 'wow' tour of the studio...wow, what a great place to work.

We actually got to LA on Monday so we 'actually' did have a few days to ourselves and just enjoyed this mini vacation. Once Rimma downloads the rest of the pics I'll add more here.

Once again a big thanks to Damian...who also sent me these pics BTW...

;)

David

DangerDavey

Hunter
Very cool!!

Great that a good time was had by all!! Good times with clay. lol

Looks like you had a lot of spectators and fans watching you sculpt and seeing your work. I'm sure it was a real plus to actually interact with people and letting them get their hands dirty. That's the BEST way to learn.

I know I'd love to see more pics of your vacation.

~DD

DAVIDYR1

Hunter
Thanks guys!!!
DD,

Yes it was fun, and I sort of went into this thinking 'sure, this'll be cool'...but it really was rather exciting. A lot of people showed their interest and curiosity towards the different clay products and for the sculpture work, the tools being used and so on. It really was a rewarding experience for me and one I hope to repeat in the future. :)

...And here are a few from the vacation part of the trip.

Damian showing some luv for the YR1..

PDRM0896.jpg

In this one Damian held the camera out and took the pic of us all together..LOL

PDRM0903.jpg

After dinner in the parking garage checking out some costume stuff..This was funny..

PDRM0905.jpg

Rimma and I at Universal Studio's..

PDRM0909.jpg

Some 'tourist' pics...gotta have those too..:)

PDRM0965.jpg

PDRM0876.jpg

PDRM0879.jpg

From Hollywood it's Jimmy Kimmel Live!

PDRM0895.jpg

HULK..Pffft...he's got NUTHIN on me!

PDRM0910.jpg

Above I mentioned lunch at Dreamworks..and once again 'wow' is that place outstanding!

PDRM1016.jpg

PDRM1012.jpg

PDRM1013.jpg

PDRM1014.jpg

Damian, Amanda...you guys rock! Cant wait to see you guys again! Thanks for everything and we look forward to returning the favor here in Toronto!

:)

David

Robillicus

Hunter
Thanks for the pictures! They're fantastic!

You are one of my favorite all-time artists. I've been following your work since I first joined the Lair back in '0shit I can't remember. Your Predator stuff, batman work (especially the "Begins" suit) is mind-blowing! Not to mention the no-face Predator you did was pretty damn sick, too!

I think it's really badass that you donate yourself and your time to others who are new to this, and are fascinated with with sculpting and creature/costume making. That is major points in my book. And although my book is small, it is fierce.

Looks like you and your wife had quite the vacation! Dreamworks studios looks so humble... not what I would've expected!

On a sidenote, from someone who's spent as many- if not more sleepless nights than you have- it looks to me like you could use a nap. Or two. If you ever get a chance to, take one. They're awesome! :)

DAVIDYR1

Hunter
Thanks for the pictures! They're fantastic!

You are one of my favorite all-time artists. I've been following your work since I first joined the Lair back in '0shit I can't remember. Your Predator stuff, batman work (especially the "Begins" suit) is mind-blowing! Not to mention the no-face Predator you did was pretty damn sick, too!

I think it's really badass that you donate yourself and your time to others who are new to this, and are fascinated with with sculpting and creature/costume making. That is major points in my book. And although my book is small, it is fierce.

Looks like you and your wife had quite the vacation! Dreamworks studios looks so humble... not what I would've expected!

On a sidenote, from someone who's spent as many- if not more sleepless nights than you have- it looks to me like you could use a nap. Or two. If you ever get a chance to, take one. They're awesome! :)

Well this post sure put a smile on my face considering the slow nature of this Monday. That really was nice of you Robillicus. I'm delighted and humbled to read this and especially considering this is a Predator board...of which, well...let's face it, I havent done a whole lot of in a long time.

All I can say is it's a lot of fun, and certainly rewarding to be out in the public eye for trade shows and conventions so I certainly expect to keep doing more of this sort of 'stuff' as time goes on. :)

Thanks again my friend.

David