Phoenix Comic-Con Inspiration

char1ieone

Unblooded
Hello everyone, I just recently attended the 2013 Phoenix Comic-Con and was able to catch the two panels of members from here that showed and discussed on how to create your own Predator costume with particular materials, design approaches that some would want to take, and general info on weight, visibility, and movement. With all the info that was provided I would just like to give those that put that together last weekend a big THANK YOU!

I have been such a huge fan of the Predator/Aliens franchise since I believe I was like 12 or 13, and when I saw my first sight of a Yautja costume back in 1997 at SDCC and witnessing a mass clan of 12 like minded fans rocking the attire at SDCC 2009, I instantly wanted to be in that brotherhood of fans parading through events, taking pictures, and just trying to be a part of the franchise that  possibly can. I know that this sounds like one of those noobie rants of "How I am the biggest fan." kinda deal, but it's not. I am just writing down my respect to those of you that put so much effort out there that create something so complex and eye-catching to the masses, that it's jaw-dropping.

The Predator panel that I attended made me realize with the right plan, the right design, and right help, I too can create something that I have always wanted to make, a Yautja suit. You guys really inspired me to move forward in trying to create a suit that I would love and be honored to wear next to each of you at whatever event that I can attend, and not only that, but to also help out in any manner that I could in guiding and planning when others are in their garments. Thank You again, all of you, for inspiring me to do something that I hope can come out very grand!!!

- Charlie (aka char1ieone) 

Charlie you are on the right track, desire and determination are 99% I didnt know crap when i started, and this community is mostly responsible for all I learned.

char1ieone

Unblooded
Well, I can honestly say that I really don't know how to effectively approach this project in the right manner. Like I mentioned, I'm just doing some quick designs in order to get an idea on a theme that I would like my Predator to be in. I am looking at all the different bios that are out there, not specifically to copy them but to get ideas of curvatures, mechanical and biological emphasis that some of them carry to see if I can create a unique one of my own. I'm decent with clay sculpturing, and although I know that decent really won't cut it in creating my own mask, it's a sure way to make mine one of a kind. I do have plans on starting out and work my way in such as starting off with the simple basic things that all the suits have in common such as hands, the belt, and feet, which seems to be a safe and good place to start. I'm not sure though :/

wonko

Hunter
Welcome to the Lair Charlie.  In my opinion, the most important part of the build is research.  I was a member here for almost a year doing research before starting my suit.  One of the biggest mistakes I see new bloods make is jumping right in with little or no knowledge and lack of a solid plan.  I know what it's like to want a finished suit right now, but research and plans are the key to making something that you can be proud of.  Sadly, I've seen many newbies jump right in, drop a bunch of money on materials and supplies, only to give up in frustration because they didn't have all the info they needed to accomplish their task.  Everything you could possibly want to know is already here on the site, you'll just have to do a little searching for what you're looking for.  Not to say that we are not happy to help, but the answers to many basic questions are easy to find.

Another thing to think about from the start is what kind of budget you have to work with.  It probably goes without saying, but the bigger your budget, the better quality suit you'll end up with.  That's not to say that there aren't any good looking, quality low budget builds here, but better tools and materials will always result in a better end product.  Allot of money can be saved if you have the skills to do it all yourself (sculpting, molding, casting, painting, etc.) or have family/friends who can help.  

I broke my build down into smaller builds, always keeping in mind what I wanted the over all finished product to be.  I remember first scanning the site thinking "this is impossible for me".  After allot of reading and research I discovered how easy it really can be.  By breaking it down, I could see progress and it kept me motivated to keep moving forward toward my final goal.  I spent a little over 7 months from start to finish (wish I had kept track of hours),, but there were times when I wouldn't touch anything for a week or 2 at a time.  I was in no hurry, and learned allot as I went.  I also kept notes along the way, things like paint mix ratios, ideas for future builds, and different ways I accomplished certain tasks.  It was nice, because I could go back and see how many drops of this color ink I added to that color ink to get this certain color, and what pressure I had the AB set on (I have a very good 'forgetor').

I hope some of this has been helpful for you.  Don't be afraid to jump right in and become a part of what I consider the greatest community on the web.  There's so much talent here it blows my mind.  There's also allot of great people who are more than happy to help.  I've made some great friends here from all over the world, and look forward to meeting some of them in person someday.  

Brian

Hey!

Charlie,
  You were the one with the Tarfful costume, right?  Please forgive me, I met a ton of people that weekend and see that you're in NM.   You'd be one of few people that have seen my animatronic silicone head powered up too.

Anyway,  encouragement from me for sure! 

-Shawn

char1ieone

Unblooded
I'm not sure bout the "Tearful" costume but I was the guy that was in the Joker on vacation getup wearing the Hawaiian shirt, lol. The anamatronics on your mask were most definitely breathtaking, and it still boggles my mind on how you're gonna be able to wear that along with a full suit.I'm not sure bout the "Tearful" costume but I was the guy that was in the Joker on vacation getup wearing the Hawaiian shirt, lol. The anamatronics on your mask were most definitely breathtaking, and it still boggles my mind on how you're gonna be able to wear that along with a full suit.

With all of your guys/gals' experience, what part of the costume, other than the bio, would you recommend to a noob to start or focus on first? I've done sculpting before, but never molded, I have customized costumes, such as fitting latex masks to the shape of my face but not to the extent of what is done with the hands and feet, however I do always accept a challenge when they arise.

MasterAnubis said:
Hey! Charlie,
  You were the one with the Tarfful costume, right?  Please forgive me, I met a ton of people that weekend and see that you're in NM.   You'd be one of few people that have seen my animatronic silicone head powered up too.

Anyway,  encouragement from me for sure! 

-Shawn

I do mean Tarfful... as in the Wookie standing in that scene on Kashyyyk with Yoda and Chewbaca.

This is him.  He's also from NM.  Unfortunately, I can't remember his name.  He also credits us with getting him into gear regarding a costume last year.  Look at him a year later!  Full on Wookie!
8876032834_36d0581f66_o.jpg

I don't remember the shirt but were you the one we spoke with during the panel?

Generally, I recommend starting with your idea.  Get that down on paper.  Draw it, put it on a spreadsheet, cut out pictures, or anything that will give you a good idea what your direction will be.  Going off course can be expensive or at best distracting.  I know.

Then, the head.  For me, the head and/or bio is the centerpiece of a costume and will lead the rest of the theme.  In my case I drew out my bio in several versions.  I have a bio thread link in my profile.  Once I got that narrowed down I sculpted a scale version to see if it will work. Then I sculpted the mask.  I had to have my half mask to make sure it would fit.  That is another reason I recommend starting there.  The rest of the parts will follow.  It may not come together quickly but that'll depend on if you make it, find it, or buy it.

Big Evil

Blooded
I'm late to the conversation. Tarful was Patrick Potter (very nice man), hopefully we'll get a Pred out of him too ;-).

I'm glad you got the build bug, we're always happy to be joined by new hunters :). Master Annubis is a great help and resource, I try to be as well. I'm actually starting another build for me, I got a Boar Bio at the convention last week and have tons of ideas running around in my head. I'll be photographing and documenting it all for later instructional use. Post some pics of what you have in mind.

char1ieone

Unblooded
MasterAnubis said:
I do mean Tarfful... as in the Wookie standing in that scene on Kashyyyk with Yoda and Chewbaca.

I don't remember the shirt but were you the one we spoke with during the panel?

... For me, the head and/or bio is the centerpiece of a costume and will lead the rest of the theme.  In my case I drew out my bio in several versions.  I have a bio thread link in my profile.  Once I got that narrowed down I sculpted a scale version to see if it will work. Then I sculpted the mask.  I had to have my half mask to make sure it would fit.  That is another reason I recommend starting there.  The rest of the parts will follow.  It may not come together quickly but that'll depend on if you make it, find it, or buy it.
Oh yeah, me and a few of my friends saw him outside in downtown Phoenix at around 7:30/8PM walking around. I couldn't imagine how hot that thing would be inside, yet alone walking around outside in Phoenix. It was amazing to see that in person however. 

I was one of the folks that came up to you afterwards questioning to see what would be a better material or method to reduce the amount of weight to carry. I realize that there was so many people at the event, so no need for apologies on not remembering the conversation.

As of right now, I am working on sketches for a bio that I can try to visualize that would set the tone of a style to work with throughout my costume. I really would love to make my own bio, but am worried that it would be too large of a task for me that doesn't really know the proper steps in the sculpting and molding process. I have done some research on what it is that I would have to do but still, it worries me.

Big Evil said:
I'm late to the conversation. Tarful was Patrick Potter (very nice man), hopefully we'll get a Pred out of him too ;-).

I'm glad you got the build bug, we're always happy to be joined by new hunters :). Master Annubis is a great help and resource, I try to be as well. I'm actually starting another build for me, I got a Boar Bio at the convention last week and have tons of ideas running around in my head. I'll be photographing and documenting it all for later instructional use. Post some pics of what you have in mind.
I plan on setting up a project blog on here to keep everyone posted on my progress, but mainly to get as much feedback and suggestions that I can to help me in taking the right steps that I need to get this to the final output. My plan is to have something by Spring/Summer of 2014, so that way I can have something to show for the comic cons next year. I am not looking to have this done by Halloween as I think that would be too ambitious of a timeline to have this completed by. 

I have been looking at other member project blogs and what they have done, and I am very impressed, excited and nervous as they seem to have way more experience than I in projects as such.  

Big Evil

Blooded
It's all in your approach. Sometimes the best thing you can do (if you're on a tight budget) is hit the thrift stores on 1/2 price day, garage sales and fleamarkets. Sometimes a cheap (and good) answer presents itself in the most un-expected places. The flea market in Prescott Valley has yielded costuming gold for me many times (lastly was the plethora of small animal skulls, several of which were on my suit at PCC)

Guan Thwei

Elite Hunter
I hope I can help some as well. This picture might also shed some light on this individual based on our interactions at PHCC. I remember you bro glad you found your way here.
8944007428_9e21e6a13c.jpg

char1ieone

Unblooded
That is way too cool!!! Yup, that's me on the left dressed as the Killing Joke Joker and my girlfriend on the far right ad Harley Quinn. You have no idea how anxious she was to see your Mr. Freeze costume, Big Evil. Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing you Guan-thwei taking the picture, but thanks you soooo much for doing so and posting it on here.

Guan Thwei

Elite Hunter
char1ieone said:
That is way too cool!!! Yup, that's me on the left dressed as the Killing Joke Joker and my girlfriend on the far right ad Harley Quinn. You have no idea how anxious she was to see your Mr. Freeze costume, Big Evil. Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing you Guan-thwei taking the picture, but thanks you soooo much for doing so and posting it on here.
Well..it was not me who took the picture, but I saw via PHCC yet as soon as you said Hawaiian shirt I knew at that time that I had met you. I hope you will enjoy your time here I know I have for the last couple of years. 

Big Evil

Blooded
char1ieone said:
No worries, that's why we all do this. Attention ;-)
Glad you got to see it. I'll drag Victor out again when the weather gets a little nicer