Polyfoam

H

Hunterpred210

I forgot what people were saying they were shaping the poloyfoam rope with. I know somone said if you want to change the color you can with a heat gun but I dont remeber anyone mentioning how they were carving their foam? Just use a knive razor...would I aslo have to seal the foam after its been carved iwht heat or something?
Thanks

L

ladyt11

Just curious.

Why is this Thread in the Tutorial Area?

Cary

"TIME TO PLAY"
warrior09.gif

H

Hunterpred210

Sorry if it need be moved go right ahead

Was it razor blades or something to shape the flat ends to a tip?

H

Hunterpred210

I dont know I checked polyfoam fope forum and all it talks about is using a heat gun to turn the rope grey to black.

M

Maverick118

Im not sure..I tried carving a test piece and its hard to make it into a fine point hopefuly somone will chime in

P

predsniper

the best luck I've had is to sculpt the ends with an electric skillet. hold the end at a 45 degree angle and melt the desired shape, use a glass of water for cooling, then coat the whole thing with a few layers of blk latex paint, (ext. house works great) or rubber tool dip... hope it helps...

K

King Jamie

It was probably me that you heard using the heat gun technique. I've made well over a thousand dreads over the years and each was individually shaped and textured by hand with a heat gun.

In order to get an even taper over half the length of the dread, it takes some practice to develop the technique. I start off by rough cutting the material to a point with scissors and heat away! Yes, a heat gun will shrink the material as well as darken it. The trick is to keep the heat gun moving to allow the material to shrink evenly. Stay too long in one spot and the material will melt and ruin the dread. The melting of the material is what turns it black, so while the tip is pretty black the opposite end of the dread will stay dark gray. TIP: Spray paint will flake off, rubber dip is not practical, and brushing latex paint will come off when you slide your rings on. I know, I've experimented with everything. I NOW use a special dye that penetrates the poly and will never come off!

This isn't the most time efficient method of making dreads, but until someone makes molds and casts these in LIGHT WEIGHT foam rubber of some sort, I'll stick to my methods.

I'm working on my next generation of dreadlocks and rings. The new 7/8" diameter BLACK dreadlocks will come in 24" pre-tapered lengths (you simply cut them down to the size you want). My new resin cast rings will also be a smaller design and will come painted/weathered.

Don't know of the price yet or how many sets I'll end up producing.

T

TK256

I wonder if i could use a stove or hair dryer possibly.

Maybe if you sprayed the dread with adhesive spray painting latex would stick to the rope? Although i think the polyfoam looks fine the way it comes

K

King Jamie

No danger of fumes John. The stuff just shrinks that's all. The only side effect is that when heated/melted, poly rope gets hot!!! Hot enough to burn the @#%$ out of you and stick to your skin if you touch it! Made that mistake a few times. I like to shape the tip to a nice point with my fingers while its still hot and soft.

Hunter, the only think that turns the gray poly permanently black is the special dye I mentioned. Trust me, ALL paint eventually flakes off when you slide the rings on or when you bend the dread. Don't get me wrong, if it's for display, paint is fine. But if you're gonna do any filming, or movement while wearing it, paint will start to wear off.

H

Hunterpred210

Oh yea i would imagine. I dont know why some paint thme they look pretty black to me the way they come. im just wondering if i could use a stove or some other way to heat it i dont have a heat gun handy

Mr. Jamie I was wondering if you might be able to share your painting and weathering methods for the P2 bio helmet? I absolutely love the color on your mask. I can't seem to figure out how many colors are blended in looks like alot of differnt tones. If you can share any of your secrets I would really appreciate it. Thanks

K

King Jamie

I don't think a stove or hair dryer would do it. Heat guns usually put out enough heat to ignite paper and blister paint on a car.

H

hails

I agree with Jamie in that the trick is using the heat gun to get the the proper taper. I got the technique down to the point where I can shape/heat a single dreadlock in less than a minute and a half. I use a bench belt sander to shape the point and then a heat gun to finish it.

-Hans