Pottery Clay

F

fantazar

Has anyone tried using this to sculpt armor pieces or anything in particular?

I found it cheaper and not too bad to use myself.
I lay out my base shape and leave it for around 2 days before carving away at it with some different sized wallpaper scrapers.

I'm just working on my Thigh Armor at the moment.
Once I have the majority of the shape carved out, I then use Oil based clay to add some finishing touches.

One thing though if using Pottery Clay...........it gets very dry and brittle and can crack or break with a little pressure. Learn't that the hard way.

M

Maverick118

I use simple Grey clay for the larger sculpts I have attemted. Mix a little glycerine in your water bottle and it slows the drying down. I like it as you can work really quick to get the basic shape and then let it dry a bit to add the detail. You don't need to let it dry out for a couple of days, just let it dry until the surface is like leather than you can tool away to hearts content, this way it won't break as it stil retains some moisture to keep it workable. Never let a wet clay dry out especially if it has undercuts as you'll find these really hard to extract when you come to mold the sucker up. Hope this helps a bit mate.

F

fantazar

hmmmmmm.........I never thought of that, being new to the clay sculpting thing and all.
Just found it a little too soft to work with straight off.

All help is good help so again I thank you, and I'll remember these tips for my next sculpt.

Y

yautja clone

Funny you should mention this. I bought a 25 lb block of pottery clay a few weeks ago and have been using it for some sculpting. It dries out fairly quickly, but misting it with water will keep it soft and moist for extended use.
I thought for $13.00 a block, I'd give it a try. Well I like using it and will continue to do so. Its not as soft as the higher grade sculpting clays, but if your in a pinch or on a budget, it will work great.